• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who makes the most solid bookshelf enclosure?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"bookshelf enclosure"...

I still use YAMAHA NS-1000, not NS-1000M. Please refer to this post on my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo project thread.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Isn't there a Danish manufacturer that uses cast iron?

tinnitus

Mine are a bit to heavy for bookshelf
IMG_20220130_161627.jpg

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would be careful with metal and stone materials- as has been pointed out, many are resonant. Here's what Coincident Speakers say about their use of MDF for speakers:

"Enclosures constructed from 1" MDF Hardwood, a specially developed material that is both very rigid, non resonant and highly uniform with regard to density.

MDF is medium density fiber board. This is fabricated out of medium soft wood trees and bonded under extreme high pressure with a mixture of adhesives. Within MDF there are varying grades. Some are less dense , others are more or less consistently dense. The higher the density and more consistent throughout the board, the more costly and superior the product. Coincident uses a type often referred to as Ranger board. This board is the highest density and most consistent ( and costly being 2-3 times the price of regular MDF) and is made of medium soft and hard wood trees with a greater proportion of wood particle and less adhesive. Standard MDF boards have a density of 32 lbs/cc ft. Coincident boards have a density of 42 lbs/cc/ft and consistency throughout the board of 1% as opposed to 8%-10% for standard boards.

Our MDF is actually almost 50% more rigid and 40% less resonant. This translates to a huge sonic difference. Our boards have hardwood veneer bonded to them on both sides with a special hard drying adhesive under extremely high heat and pressure. This ensures that the veneer will never peel or bubble no matter how humid or hot the conditions. The sonic benefit of the adhesive we use in addition to the double sided veneering is a furthering of the overall rigidity and non resonant quality for which we strive in all our enclosures.

We have experimented within MDF hardwood(which is made of mostly hardwood trees) but found that while they were very rigid, they were much more resonant between 40hz- 120hz. Good for furniture , less appealing in loudspeaker enclosures.

It took 4 years of experimenting and measuring numerous substances, from birch plywood to ceramic based materials to granite and mineral composites and pure hardwoods to settle on the MDF Coincident eventually uses exclusively because it proved to have the best balance between high rigidity and low resonance which accounts to a large degree for the transparent, neutral or unbox like qualities of Coincident speakers."

kokakolia

61732977ff8ad6ca38f644d0_OGY%20white-2827.jpg

I bought those OGY speakers. They're wrapped in corian, which is a thick and sturdy resin material used for countertops. They feel heavy.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
61732977ff8ad6ca38f644d0_OGY%20white-2827.jpg

I bought those OGY speakers. They're wrapped in corian, which is a thick and sturdy resin material used for countertops. They feel heavy.
They look like Stewart or Carl, the one-eyed Minions.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Today I just placed a pair of LS50 wireless II in the living room. Damn, those boxes are solid and heavy!

chebum

Forum Donor
One can make a loudspeaker cabinet much more inert by placing something very heavy on top of the cabinet. I ordered two 3/4'' steel sheets for every loudspeaker, wrapped them in a textured vinyl wrap and put on top of the cabinets. This eliminated almost all vibrations I can feel with my bare hand when the loudspeaker is playing.
But, I don't recommend loading unbraced cabinets though - not sure if they will sustain the load.

OP
P

Postlan

Goldmund Epilogue 1
Weight of one Epilogue 1: 43 kg (95 Lbs)
Size of one Epilogue 1: 36 cm (H) x 23 cm (W) x 42 cm (D)

Top Bottom