• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who loves a good coney dog?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally not someone who buys hotdogs or makes them...read The Jungle early on....

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Vienna's on a toasted bun with home made dill relish, a good mustard and vidalias chopped small - preferably over a fire pit.

Michigan boy here too and have enjoyed many of the variations you folks in the SE part of paradise call a coney. Honorable mention to Yesterdog in Grand Rapids for the long haul as well. The UP should try for statehood again, better yet secede from the union and make a hybrid pasty/dog to fuel the new national economy. :p

The most unique dog I ever had was somewhere in East Village NYC where they wrapped the thing in bacon, deep fried it and then dropped the throbbing thing into a kaiser.

DWPress

Forum Donor
BTW. my sister is the chief OSHA officer for Butterball/Eckrich. Stick with the Viennas. ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Pulses ...
  • Soya beans. ...
  • Quinoa. ...
  • Nuts. ...
  • Seeds. ...
  • Cereals and grains. ...
  • Quorn
...and nothing needs to die...

Those are nowhere near the protein density of any meat.

And besides that, you are killing them (or their plant babies) when you cook or eat them, so they do need to die.

I find your animal-centrism offensive. Plants are people too.

Plants have elaborate behaviors, communicate with each other and maybe even have feelings. Stop killing plants.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
1627337793274.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only food the land on my brother's farm on a scottish fell is capable of rearing is sheep meat. If nobody ate lamb it would be out of food production altogether, which is stupid IMO.
I love seeing animals in fields and traditional farming methods but detest factory farming intensely but people want to have very cheap food and in many countries of the world the rules and regulations allow appalling animal husbandry because cheap is more important to people than animal welfare..
Britain would be a very different place if people stopped eating meat, it would be sad to see no animals any more.

Neddy

Since losing most of my taste buds to covid, I've struggled to find food I can sort of taste - and have landed on Nathan's Hot Dogs (I haven't really tried other than whats in the grocery store - yet; this is pretty inspiring!).
I go through several packs of those a week, and am getting better at adding stuff. (We used to have a Chicago Hots shop here, and learned how good Those could be - sadly closed after just a few years.)
(I DO get healthy meal prep kits from a local supplier to make sure I get nutricious and healthy ingredients...but taste-ability is of course highly variable.)
Oh, and the other meat favorite is a local supplier of organic? grass fed Scottish beef - those long haired monsters with texas sized horns.
The farmer told me they were super easy to raise, as they'd eat pretty much anything he had in the fields (but did customize the plantings for best 'taste'. Yum.....grillin' time?)
Yah, hot dogs - and it's been over a year now since the 'long covid' started, and so far still liking my hot dogs a lot!!

Trouble Maker

I do, when's the cookout? :p

I'm not too picky on dog or bun, but usually the more basic the better. Though I do try to get a reasonable decent quality dog.
The sauce is where it's at. No thanks on chili, sorry-not-sorry, but you're wrong.
My favorite sauce so far is Tony Packo's. But with them being in Toledo, I'm not sure how far their distribution network reaches.

OP
D

DACslut

I do, when's the cookout? :p

I'm not too picky on dog or bun, but usually the more basic the better. Though I do try to get a reasonable decent quality dog.
The sauce is where it's at. No thanks on chili, sorry-not-sorry, but you're wrong.
My favorite sauce so far is Tony Packo's. But with them being in Toledo, I'm not sure how far their distribution network reaches.

Check out the link pasted below if you really want the original, authentic and delicious coney sauce. They reference the coney sauce as "Todoroff's Original Chili", but it is actually for all intents and purposes just coney sauce. The online ordering is done a bit further down the webpage. It looks like their ordering process is kind of a work in progress.

http://www.todoroffs.com/tfi/Purchase/purchase_index.htm

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Has anyone mentioned slaw dogs? (please don't throw things at me) Seems to have been kind of popular around where I lived in TN.

OP
D

DACslut

I Know I'll probably catch hell for this, but Sonic's 1/4lb footlong coney cheesedog ain't half bad. They kinda skimp on the toppings a little, so I gotta add more finely chopped onion and some additional mustard plus a little ketchup. My biggest problem with them is they're too damned expensive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I Know I'll probably catch hell for this, but Sonic's 1/4lb footlong coney cheesedog ain't half bad. They kinda skimp on the toppings a little, so I gotta add more finely chopped onion and some additional mustard plus a little ketchup. My biggest problem with them is they're too damned expensive.
What do they expense you for that beast? We have nothing offered like that in Canada. :facepalm:

OP
D

DACslut

What do they expense you for that beast? We have nothing offered like that in Canada. :facepalm:

Sorry, I don't have the receipt but I remember 3 of 'em were over $14, maybe closer to $15. I can see that cost justified for a 1/4lb hamburger, not a glorified hot dog tho.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I don't have the receipt but I remember 3 of 'em were over $14, maybe closer to $15. I can see that cost justified for a 1/4lb hamburger, not a glorified hot dog tho.
That's very reasonable. If in Canada for a sausage in a bun or a large hot dog it would be maybe $8-$10 each. The USA has such great deals on fast food and snacks.

OP
D

DACslut

That's very reasonable. If in Canada for a sausage in a bun or a large hot dog it would be maybe $8-$10 each. The USA has such great deals on fast food and snacks.

Ya, we're a little spoiled. Consequently, most of our population is overweight and diabetes affects way more people than covid.

Top Bottom