• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who loves a good coney dog?

DACslut

I'm from Michigan and they're available all over the place around here. I prefer Koegel Vienna's over Nathan's or any other wiener. Traditional style coney meat sauce with lots of finely chopped onion and topped with mustard. Don't mind topping one with a little ketchup also. Buns have to be fresh too, of course. My only problem is heartburn. I try to prevent that problem by ingesting a proton-pump inhibitor pill before eating them. Let's hear what kind of coney dogs you guys and gals like and from where.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vienna Fire dog, coney style meat sauce (or hot dog chili), brown mustard, ketchup (preferably Hunt's, Heinz is second choice), sliced tomato, finely chopped (preferably Vidalia) onion (perhaps sautéed). Toasted fresh bun & if using cheese, put the cheese on the bun first :):D:cool:

OP
D

DACslut

Vienna Fire dog, coney style meat sauce (or hot dog chili), brown mustard, ketchup (preferably Hunt's, Heinz is second choice), sliced tomato, finely chopped (preferably Vidalia) onion (perhaps sautéed). Toasted fresh bun & if using cheese, put the cheese on the bun first :):D:cool:

Damn you just made me hungrier than I already was! I never heard of a Vienna Fire dog but that sounds lethally delicious.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3PackKitFire-Dog.png

OP
D

DACslut

Not to gross anybody out, but you gotta love those Vienna dogs! :p

What makes Vienna Beef hot dogs different?

The classic dog-stand Vienna is encased in natural sheep casing—a polite euphemism for intestine. Larger-size editions of the Vienna dog are stuffed into hog intestines. The ground beef, flavorings and additives are blended into a thick paste inside an industrial mixer.

Mmmmmmmm..... Now I know what makes them dog's so palatable, lol.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They've been around a while, too. So they are long-term proven good. (although the Fire Dog should have some warning that they are really quite hot).
Over 27 million people flock to the Columbian Exposition/World’s Fair in Chicago to witness the latest inventions, including the Vienna® Beef hot dog, created by Austrian-Hungarian immigrants Emil Reichel and Samuel Ladany.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fancy Yoopers and their highfalutin cuisine.

A proper coney utilizes the parts of the animal in question that polite people will not publicly discuss. The secret is to boil the dog, and never change the water. My favorite is a Macedonian take on American chili from Cincinnati.

My guess is the originators made their first batch without instructions and seasoned it until they could eat it.

Culinary heights were scaled, that fabled day.

(A shake of Prilosec is $.20 usd extra, Tobacco is free.)

menu-coney-rotated90.png

OP
D

DACslut

A proper coney utilizes the parts of the animal in question that polite people will not publicly discuss. The secret is to boil the dog, and never change the water. My favorite is a Macedonian take on American chili from Cincinnati.

My guess is the originators made their first batch without instructions and seasoned it until they could eat it.

View attachment 143351

Ya, some of those silly Yooper's also wanna secede from the lower peninsula. I hope that never happens. Found this little bit of trivia on a Detroit based website:

While no one place can definitively claim to be the birthplace of the Coney dog, Michigan, by sheer volume and duration of its Coney restaurants, makes a strong bid.

Where I live in Michigan, there's literally at least a half-dozen restaurants or diners serving coney dogs within walking distance from me. I'm also well aware that just because something originated somewhere doesn't automatically make it the best available.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit you have me intrigued. Here in Chicago where proper hot dogs were invented :p;) we do not know of these "Coney Dogs". Not h8tn, just sayin’. View attachment 143364
no ketchup. Never!
Where the Vienna Dog was invented 1893 & that's what they look like with all the fixin's. I figured that "Coney" has become a generic term when away from Chigago. Because in Chicago you will be corrected on what you will be receiving if you ask for a "coney dog". Got my first one of these from a Wash., DC corner cart. "Chicago style" dog he said. But I like my pickle, pepper & relish on the side & a Vienna Fire dog inside with Cheese underneath (or no cheese). Great either way. Ketchup is a poor substitute for the tomatoes, but sometimes one must make that substitute.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 143351
Skyline Chili rocks. Having spent a decade in Cincinnati, I can attest to how absolutely awesome it is. I still buy it at the store and make my own cheese coneys every other month or so. The chili itself is available either canned or frozen at grocery stores nationwide. From there it's just a matter of mincing some white onion in the processor, cooking your favorite hot dog any way you like (Skyline boils, but I prefer broiled till its black), slapping the dog on the bun, dab or mustard, spoon of onion, ladle on a couple of tablespoons of chili, and mound on as much mild or sharp grated cheddar as your conscience and cardiologist allow.

Let it settle and go run an extra 3 miles afterward. :p

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where the Vienna Dog was invented 1893 & that's what they look like with all the fixin's. I figured that "Coney" has become a generic term when away from Chigago. Because in Chicago you will be corrected on what you will be receiving if you ask for a "coney dog".
I gather the meat sauce is an essential ingredient in a Coney Dog, but maybe I’m mistaken. I grew up in Chicago and put ketchup on my hot dogs - but then I discovered it’s because my mother is from New York. Oh, the shame!

Lawyrup843

View attachment 143351
GO SKYLINE! GOLD STAR IS A CLOSE 2ND! To the OP heartburn sucks for me as well. Even taking something before eating one of these doesn’t seem to help. But the food is so worth it.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer chili dogs to coney dogs myself. I have never had a coney sauce that tastes better than a good meat or meat and bean chili.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In Western New York we have what is known as the Texas Red Hot, which I like to call a "shit canoe", consists of a skinless Sahlens hot dog, cooked on a griddle, and placed in a steamed bun, then garnished with Weber's horseradish mustard, chopped onions, and a spicy hamburger meat sauce. YUM.
1627237597939.png

Attachments

• 1627237543681.png
    1627237543681.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 76
Top Bottom