• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who is at fault?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who uses a monitor anymore anyway.. You'll actually have to get up to change a song and stuff..

Just buy a pi with one of those excellent audio centered distro's, hook up your DAC and SSD, drop on your seat, take your phone, pick a few song and actually start listening... No bullshit with drivers, studdering, malware tools or other such crap.

kkeretic

Who uses a monitor anymore anyway.. You'll actually have to get up to change a song and stuff.. Just buy a pi with one of those excellent audio centered distro's, hook up your DAC and SSD, drop on your seat, take your phone, pick a few song and actually start listening... No bullshit with drivers, studdering, malware tools or other such crap.

That's exactly the way I am using Foobar2000 on my HTPC with Windows 10. Turning on/off the PC (from/to sleep), browsing through the library with tons of music on the NAS, switching between headphone profiles (DSP/equalizers), muting on a phone call, you name it... FoobarConPro for Android. Set it and forget it. But when I use a work computer, it is logical that I don’t mess with my cell phone to change tracks because Foobar2000 is within reach of a mouse click. But I understand that configuring all of that is not for everyone.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Who uses a monitor anymore anyway.. You'll actually have to get up to change a song and stuff..

Just buy a pi with one of those excellent audio centered distro's, hook up your DAC and SSD, drop on your seat, take your phone, pick a few song and actually start listening... No bullshit with drivers, studdering, malware tools or other such crap.
There are several apps (wifi) to control foobar with tablet/smartphone from the sofa;)

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I make PHONE calls with my phone. I don't own a tablet and do not intend to. I hate tiny little displays I can't see.

Loaded Foobar again last night.

You would be surprised how many sites have data collection and advertising trojans lurking in them. I do a lot of research on often obscure topics that may be hosted on less than expertly secured servers. Everything from old component data sheets to whitepapers to woodworking demonstrations.

Maybe foobar needs some kind of additional plugins. I like the WMP UI as below. I do not like the FooBar as below.
I do not know where the metadata is stored. I fixed the genre in the albums in WMP, but FooBar picked up the originals. Where it ties cover skins etc. None of that is clear.

I did not grow up with an iPhone attached to me. Where I worked, you could not have a phone. Maybe how these things work is intuitive to those who started with version .1 and use their phone as an iPod, but it is all new to me.
Foo-screen.JPG
WMP-ui.JPG

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Did the latency test no problems. fast as can be. Before I removed it, I used the Avast performance optimizer and got rid of a pile of useless junk running. I am sure I could find additional services I don't need, but getting factual information on them is hit or miss.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

This is pretty good resource. If you think some background service is causing issues you might also wanna look at https://bitsum.com/. Just make sure to exclude the audio player from ProBalance.

bidn

. What does the MPC-BE UI look like?

MPC-BE updates and improves upon the Media Player Classic, which used to have a large user base, but its maintenance and development were stopped. Several took over, among those I find MPC-BE clearly the best.
These are slick, light-weight, robust and fast players. Images can be easily found on the internet.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
it is logical that I don’t mess with my cell phone to change tracks because Foobar2000 is within reach of a mouse click.

You guys are funny. I'd throw my cellphone into the valley if I didn't need it for phone calls.

kkeretic

Maybe foobar needs some kind of additional plugins. I like the WMP UI as below. I do not like the FooBar as below.

Foobar2000 GUI is extremely customizable by default without third party plugins or anything else. You can fit different panels on the same screen, no need to work with floating windows. View/Layout/Quick setup and just try different options. You can adjust font style and size for everything. At first GUI may seem somewhat last year fashion, but when you adjust it a little, it's nice to work with it.

threni

Major Contributor
I make PHONE calls with my phone.

I play CHESS on my phone. I've spent more time playing chess on my phone this week than I've spent on phone calls for probably over a year. At this point they're not really phones, are they? They're computers. Is there really any difference between looking at a phone/tablet to choose which album to play Vs looking at a screen? I guess it depends on the UI of whatever app you're using. Unless you use really, really large fonts.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
That bitsum stuff looks like it is almost as useful as what we did on Unix servers. I doubt it is a core resource issue though. With a dedicated system with way more performance than should be needed, probably not much help. The help with services could be far more significant.

The huge resource hog is windows updates as for some reason, they don't show up in the process manager. Your machine can almost stop and you have no idea why until it pops up a box telling you the update is ready for reboot. It shows 2% disk IO and your disk light is flashing almost solid. I suspend updates on the music server and trigger them manually.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I do not know where the metadata is stored. I fixed the genre in the albums in WMP, but FooBar picked up the originals. Where it ties cover skins etc. None of that is clear.
Highlight a song, right click select properties. I have no idea how to display album covers, do not even know if this is possible in foobar.
You could try searching the Foobar Components Repository.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I play CHESS on my phone. I've spent more time playing chess on my phone this week than I've spent on phone calls for probably over a year. At this point they're not really phones, are they? They're computers. Is there really any difference between looking at a phone/tablet to choose which album to play Vs looking at a screen? I guess it depends on the UI of whatever app you're using. Unless you use really, really large fonts.
Indeed, smartphones are computers that can also make phone calls on the cellular network. One only has to look at Apple's new M1 processor (which is an evolution of their phone processors) to see that the smartphone has done to the PC what the PC did to the Workstation what the Workstation did to the Mini and the Mini did to the Mainframe. Pretty soon a PC will be a smartphone using a monitor, keyboard and mouse, wirelessly or through USB (because sometimes, you really need the screen real estate and physical keyboards remain more ergonomic than a virtual keyboard on a small screen).

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
When it has a monitor, keyboard and mouse, I might consider it again. That is not a new concept, but has yet to be worked out. You have your phone, sit at a desk and the terminal talks to your phone and connects you to the corporate cloud. All tied in. Not there yet.

kkeretic

Highlight a song, right click select properties. I have no idea how to display album covers, do not even know if this is possible in foobar.

View/Layout/Enable layout editing mode, then right click on any panel and select Replace UI element/Album art viewer. As I said before, you can put a ton of different panels on the main window, everything becomes visible and accessible from the same main screen, even hills of metadata and other info about tracks, library tree, playlists, dsp switches, seekbar, visualizations, volume control, you name it...

MetalDaze

Here is a screen cap of how I have my foobar2000 set up. It's actually very easy and totally user customizable as other's have said. I find it to be the most straight forward in that everything is controllable via the end user.
Foobar2000.png

Attachments

• Foobar2000.png
    Foobar2000.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Not at all what I want. I don't care about scope or spectrum displays. Don't care much about song titles. I want to select BY ICON full CDs to play.
I got Audirvana to almost do it. Have to do mouse clicks to add to the queue, but at least can see the covers in "genre" mode, where WMP will only give you detailed listings.

After two days work, I finally found why it was giving me three copies of Ry Cooder "Crossroads". Turns out it was seeing a trailing space on one track title and a leading space on another. MusicBee and WMP are smart enough to ignore leading and following white space in this kind of application, but seems Audirvana does not understand GUI design 101. ( I used to be a systems architect).

So I can rebuild WMP master library. Can delete and rebuild Audirvana. WMP still does not reliably pick up covers and of course no ASIO or covers in genera mode. But in WMP, I can use the touchscreen to drag CDs into the queue instead of a mouse.

So I will load it yet again and if post 58 helps. I never got MusicBee to display the artwork. Blank icons.
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Top Bottom