• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who is at fault?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Unreliability is one reason I switched from JRiver to Audivana, which supposedly hooks more deeply into the various Windows settings/processes. JRiver has video functionality which in my case isn't needed (I know you can put it into 'audio only' mode).

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Avast is still running in manual mode as it won't let you stop in in startup. I thought about taking it off and relying on Malwarebytes. They catch different things.
Windows built in antivirus is quite good, so I would dump all the 3rd party virus programs. If your machine is dedicated and isolated anyway, you shouldn't need anything beyond what's already in Windows.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You should listen to music, not look at a UI ;) ( but I tend to agree on this with you) also: do you use ASIO output with windows media player.

It’s really staggering to read how many issues people seem to have with playing audio with Windows. I haven’t used Windows as a primary OS for about 20 years now, and have never had any issues.. not using Linux, not using MacOS.

UI has to be easy enough for the "boss" to use it. WMS is a simple drag and drop from the touch screen. HWHL.
No ASIO under Media Server. Good reason to go to J-River.

Rebuilding it with Linux is a whole project. I have an old desktop I think has Ubantu on it I could test with but I have not pugged it in for a lot of years. Come t think about it, darn near 10 years maybe. Gad I'll have to think back. I have not worked as an SA for a long time and you know, when they make you a manager, you have to forget everything useful you ever learned. Then when you retire from the IC, you have to forget everything you ever did. Someone here even said I can't wonder around rc3.d anymore.

As hard as Windows is to deal with, it is nothing like getting audio to work under AIX.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Avast is still running in manual mode as it won't let you stop in in startup. I thought about taking it off and relying on Malwarebytes. They catch different things.
If your PC is not connected to a network, why even bother running an anti-virus?

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Unreliability is one reason I switched from JRiver to Audivana, which supposedly hooks more deeply into the various Windows settings/processes. JRiver has video functionality which in my case isn't needed (I know you can put it into 'audio only' mode).

Audivana is a new one to me. UI much like WMS. More stable eh? $96 is a lot as a gamble. Cheap if it works. I'll try their demo. I

StefaanE

Forum Donor
As hard as Windows is to deal with, it is nothing like getting audio to work under AIX.
Lots of things are difficult on Aches, but PHUX was worse :).

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Windows built in antivirus is quite good, so I would dump all the 3rd party virus programs. If your machine is dedicated and isolated anyway, you shouldn't need anything beyond what's already in Windows.

Better than it was, but Malware Bytes still catches a lot of problems neither Windows or Avast does. Some quite nasty. Better at WEB site trojans. May be worth the risk though.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Lots of things are difficult on Aches, but PHUX was worse :).
That was the only one I did not have. I had Linux, BSD, IRIX, AIX, OSF, Solaris, SunOs, XP, NT, and Concurrent. Originally I had Apple and Novell but I got rid of them. True-64 clusters were rock solid. Irix was easy as you did not have to sell your sole to O'rilley as their books actually told you how to run it.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
That was the only one I did not have. I had Linux, BSD, IRIX, AIX, OSF, Solaris, SunOs, XP, NT, and Concurrent. Originally I had Apple and Novell but I got rid of them. True-64 clusters were rock solid. Irix was easy as you did not have to sell your sole to O'rilley as their books actually told you how to run it.
At one time, I had a collection of Unix boxes: a HP 160 with HPUX, an old IBM RS/6000 with AIX, several Suns including a lovely Blade 2000 with SunOS & Solaris, a beautiful SGI with IRIX (one of my favourites), PCs with Linux (from 0.98 onwards) and BSD/386 (just for fun). I was an early adopter of VMWare on Linux, and ran a PC with 7 virtual machines with each a different language version of Win95 (to test localised versions of our software). For a while, my main workstation was a Sun Ultra 60 with a big 20" Sun CRT. Loved it. They were all up and running 24/7 and doing something (more or less) useful in my network. When I decided to switch them off, our power bill was suddenly much, much lower. BTW, my first computer was a KIM-1 with a 6502, followed by a TRS-80. I cut my Unix teeth on a PDP-11 with Version 7, then moved on to Cromemco Cromix. Those were the days.

Aldoszx

If you have an old desktop, you could try this : https://daphile.com/
Attach the DAC and mount external SSD and you are good to go !
But you need to connect it to the network because you have to access it remotely being web based.
It is based on Logitech Media Server and Squeezebox.
Very good IMHO !
Just give it a try and I think you'll forget about Windows.
Another thing, you don't need any drivers for your DAC.
If you like it, I recommend to install latest beta from here: https://daphile.com/firmware/beta/daphile-20.11-b101707-x86_64.iso
There are some improvements and a new kernel.

Duckeenie

You should listen to music, not look at a UI ;) ( but I tend to agree on this with you) also: do you use ASIO output with windows media player.

It’s really staggering to read how many issues people seem to have with playing audio with Windows. I haven’t used Windows as a primary OS for about 20 years now, and have never had any issues.. not using Linux, not using MacOS.

Are you seriously suggesting that if I do a search for Linux audio problems I won't get many hits?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you seriously suggesting that if I do a search for Linux audio problems I won't get many hits?

I’d definitely not go that far ;) I’m obviously only expressing my own experience. I’m pretty sure there are quite a lot of audio issues with Linux to be found.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Well, pretty amazing. My old desktop booted Centos7. Somehow I remembered the password. May not suitable as a music server as it is too old to support booting an SSD and it is a monster, but I can catch up with Linux. October 2014 last boot.

Wow, my first computer was my DIY wire-wrap clone of a Kim-1. Felt like a big man as my friends still had toggle switches and we had a hex pad! Soon after, I bought a Kapro which got us both through college. Hung on until a 386.
In the lab I had an LSI-11 03 with a Decwriter. the memory was so burned in, it would boot half the time without the bootstrap loaded.

What was really depressing is last time I went to the Smithsonian, I have either owned or worked on everything they had except the Eniac. Kept my can of oil for mod-35's.

I'll look at Dalphine New to me. A stripped OS has a lot going for it.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Most problems in windows and stuttering is related to two things: Drivers and A/V crapware.
If you're using Asio make sure that you have enough buffer not to tax the CPU/memory subsystem.
Get rid of Avast. Make sure that you run Malwarebytes only to check writing not reading files. Or even better get rid of it and use Windows Defender, nowadays it's good enough.

bidn

Hi,

difficult to believe it would be a hardware or OS error.
Like some others I would test other playback software. Actually I would stay away from Windows Media Player.
I can propose you to try out this one, currently my favorite for windows, when I want something light next to Foobar2000:\
MPC-BE (take the 64 bit version, your computer isn't probably too old) :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Did the latency test no problems. fast as can be. Before I removed it, I used the Avast performance optimizer and got rid of a pile of useless junk running. I am sure I could find additional services I don't need, but getting factual information on them is hit or miss. The system runs at about 5 to 10% overhead.
Deleted Avast and configured Windows security. MB is still there for now.

I do not like FOOBAR as it is not a simple drag and drop gui. What does the MPC-BE UI look like?

Top Bottom