• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

White Noise, Pink Noise or Throw Them Out?

TheWalkman

I just picked up a new pair of JBL's on sale and they arrived yesterday. (I just couldn't say no and had to pull the trigger, but that's another woeful story.)

Unfortunately, plans didn't quite work out: the new speakers didn't make it under the Christmas Tree. Instead the JBLs were stripped from their box and went straight to the living room.

Now comes the bad part: I committed the cardinal sin and forgot to break the speakers in properly - I simply hooked them up and cranked up the music.

Forgive me Forum Readers for my sins!

Now if I were a proper audiophile, should I have broken them in with a pink noise signal, white noise, frequency sweep and how many days should I have done this before sending musical notes and cherubic voices across their shiny, new voice coils? Hours? Days? Months?

Since I didn't follow protocol, I guess the speakers are now ruined. Should I just throw them out?

I know folks on this Forum can (and WILL) give me an answer, that is if they are willing to interact with anyone as unworthy as I.

Too, I will be a MAN and if the Forum chooses to revoke my Boy Scout Audiophile Merit Badge from 1975, I understand and will comply.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

P.S. I didn't use gold plated, electron infused speaker wire to hook the speakers up. Instead, I connected the speakers up with #14 copper lamp cord that I had sitting on the shelf. I'm now destined to being relegated to an eternity in Purgatory, listening to endless Muzak jingles on a pair of 1980 Walkman headphones, aren't I? Pray for me, please!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Man thats bad!
But as long we dont know your music that u used for brake in its not possible to brew a cure recipe.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
No need to throw them away!

Simply reverse the polarity of the cables and play the same music you played, but backwards. This should return them to their factory state.

Thats a amazing idear!

Top Bottom