• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

White noise improves hearing

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Violet noise is sure annoying.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Pink noise does not discriminate bye. It has equal power per decade.

Uh, white noise has equal energy per decade; pink noise has equal energy per octave.

So, to avoid age discrimination, use white noise. As for pink noise, I ain't going there. Maybe it's more musical?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Funny, just yesterday I was digging through some old 1970s project books and came across a simple white/pink noise source. Beats using a PC.

1574127819529.png

Here it is attached. I scanned it for you guys. Go build some!

Or you could just listen to FM inter-station hiss on an old tuner. :)

Attachments

• white_pink_noise_source_eti_441_sml.pdf
    468.8 KB · Views: 204

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But yes, I agree in this PC world we now find ourselves in, perhaps an additional switch for black noise (no signal) would be appropriate. :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Uh, white noise has equal energy per decade; pink noise has equal energy per octave.
So, to avoid age discrimination, use white noise. As for pink noise, I ain't going there. Maybe it's more musical?
Ugh. That is exactly what I have always known and I foolishly changed it after Googling a (false) reference before posting. I will fix it. Thanks.

pma

Major Contributor
Some amount of noise may help with poor recordings, acting as a dither. With very good recordings, any added noise is not appreciable.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Most folk find audio pink noise (equal energy per octave, downward slope with frequency) more pleasing the white nose (equal energy per decade, flat slope).
Pink noise sounds like the ocean, which is satisfying and comforting in some primal way nested deep in our brains. White noise sounds like noise.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

BostonJack

Editor

If we go to non-binary signals all of our digital gear is going on the trash heap.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When my wife first moved in with me, she had trouble falling asleep with my cpap running. Now she says she can't fall asleep without the noise it makes.

The concept of noise and pleasing does not compute with most folks. I won't belabor my soft spot for Japanoise music, though I have not studied the spectra of Masonna or Merzbow.

There a quite a few Noise artists i listen to that relax me more than most Ambient and conventional music.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Violet noise is sure annoying.

Whereas I find violet noise particularly calming.

I have tinnitus and the ringing is in almost precisely the range of violet noise. I have an iphone app that can play various forms of noise and when I put on the violet noise very quietly the ringing in my ears completely vanishes! It feels magical.

Somewhat apropros of the study cited in this thread: I'm also living with a type of "white noise" pumped in to my ears continually, for over a year now. It's part of a therapy for hyperacusis, to get the brain used to noise and "re-wire" the auditory system (seems to be working). It's a noise contoured specifically to address the problems diagnosed in a hearing exam and tests of LDLs, so mine is a bit more like violet noise all day long.

I can't say I've noticed it helps my auditory acuity, either for work or for listening to music. In fact I always take my noise generators off to listen to music because I find the scrim of noise tends to homogenize instrumental timbre.

Top Bottom