• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

white noise from my tower fan drowning out my speakers maybe?

zaraki

am i imagining it or do my speakers at my near field gaming/media set up not sound as good when i have my tower fan a few feet away from me at certain fan speeds because of the sound the fan makes?

when i turn down the fan speed or even turn it off the speakers sound clearer.

is it because of the white noise the fan makes?

OP
zaraki

zaraki

It could be that or literally bleeding into the audio path. Can you hear any noise if you put your ear at the speaker with fan at different speeds?
no, not that i can tell

i think its just a case of one noise which is the fan, interfering with another sound which is the audio from my speakers at various sound levels.

if i turn up the speakers a bit it fixes it somewhat

for example, it's as when you are watching a movie with someone, and the movie is loud, so you have to talk louder for the other person to hear you.

does that make sense maybe?

also thanks for your awesome review of the kef ls50 meta speakers! that review made me check them out and i loved them so much! i use them in a near field 2.1 set up at my gaming/media desk

unpluggged

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
i think its just a case of one noise which is the fan, interfering with another sound which is the audio from my speakers at various sound levels.

if i turn up the speakers a bit it fixes it somewhat

for example, it's as when you are watching a movie with someone, and the movie is loud, so you have to talk louder for the other person to hear you.

does that make sense maybe?
Yes, it makes perfect sense!

One sound can drown-out or partially drown-out other sounds. And it's surprising how little noise it takes. I run some computerized tests at work and the computer beeps when it's ready for me to do something, or then the test is done, etc. It's an "antique" computer with a built-in speaker... no soundcard and I can't control the volume... I can easily hear it most of the time but when someone else is "making noise", I can't hear the beeps even though I wouldn't describe the other noise as "loud".

People with home recording studios often have the computer in a different room or they get a fanless PC. Even the slight noise from a laptop fan or hard drive can be picked-up by the microphone.

OP
zaraki

zaraki

Yes, it makes perfect sense!

One sound can drown-out or partially drown-out other sounds. And it's surprising how little noise it takes. I run some computerized tests at work and the computer beeps when it's ready for me to do something, or then the test is done, etc. It's an "antique" computer with a built-in speaker... no soundcard and I can't control the volume... I can easily hear it most of the time but when someone else is "making noise", I can't hear the beeps even though I wouldn't describe the other noise as "loud".

People with home recording studios often have the computer in a different room or they get a fanless PC. Even the slight noise from a laptop fan or hard drive can be picked-up by the microphone.
thanks i would prefer to have my fan off for no ambient noise, but i get so so hot lately that i need it on to cool me down

also it might of not been clear as i read back my original post, i did not mean the fan in my pc but the fan that blows air around to make the room cooler

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Jeez.

Yes.

Your fan is interfering with your music. You can either get a quieter fan or turn your music up. Headphones would be another option.
:facepalm:

Last edited:
Top Bottom