• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Word Do You Hear?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its strange, I hear Laurel with a whisper of Yanny in the background at the same time. o_O

nuko

I hear both, two different voices overlapping each other and saying their respective words at relatively the same time.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I've discovered that If I listen to the original Laurel (in the dictionary link) over headphones lying on the desk it sounds like Yanny...
I just tried that, I only hear Laurel until I turn the vol up so high it distorts, then I start hearing Yanny quietly at the same time. Feels to me like it's to do with what your brain does with the distortion, lock onto it, or reject or hear through it.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I just tried that, I only hear Laurel until I turn the vol up so high it distorts, then I start hearing Yanny quietly at the same time. Feels to me like it's to do with what your brain does with the distortion, lock onto it, or reject or hear through it.

Exactly. It's got nothing to do with your hearing but with the way your brain fights to recognize the word out of this bad recording.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I hear both, two different voices overlapping each other and saying their respective words at relatively the same time.

Let me guess: one from the speakers, the other inside your head? :)

Listening at very low volume on my work notebook it is clearly Yanni. Connecting headphones and listening softly, I hear Yanni, but it changes to Laurel as I increase the volume at which point I noticed "Laurel" is much deeper and masculine. Reducing the volume but boosting the bass changes the previous Yanni into Laurel.

Conclusion: By adjusting the bass and volume on my notebook, it can perform sex change operations.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Let me guess: one from the speakers, the other inside your head? :)

Listening at very low volume on my work notebook it is clearly Yanni. Connecting headphones and listening softly, I hear Yanni, but it changes to Laurel as I increase the volume at which point I noticed "Laurel" is much deeper and masculine. Reducing the volume but boosting the bass changes the previous Yanni into Laurel.

Conclusion: By adjusting the bass and volume on my notebook, it can perform sex change operations.

Hahaha - but you also said Laurel is "masculine". :D

blackmetalboon

Saw this on another forum yesterday and I clearly heard “Yanny” from the supplied link. Tried the link in the OP and heard “Laurel”. Went back to the link I used yesterday and I now hear “Laurel”?

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using this nytimes app, let's say that neutral (in the middle) is 0. I hear Laurel there. I have to move it to +4 to start hearing Yanny (though it sound more like Yally to me). Then moving slowly back I keep hearing Yanny down to around +0.5. There it collapses and I hear Laurel again. And again I have to move it to +4 to start hearing Yanny.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Well, until we establish the truth I still think all of you hearing Yanny should refrain yourself from discussions if DACs, OPamps and other stuff sound different. Once you hear Laurel you're good to go again. :D:D
Yes everything sounds the same. yanny. laurel, even moe, larry, and curly.

Ronm1

It's pretty simple to me if one hears anything but laurel save your money and buy a cheap boom box or find another hobby. OTOH I have old h/w I can sell you for a few K that will make that word/phrase sound really good.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I wonder, given that this simple example in OP can cause confusion, how reliable are perceptions of minor detail nuances in listening that are being masked by all of the total reproduced sound content?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Oh, but it's not that simple....
That is absolutely brilliant. At first glance "brainstorm" and "green needle" don't even seem to have many 'sounds' in common, so I would never have thought they could be confused.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The Green Needle response was absent here no matter how hard I thought of it.
Again, I find that the device it is reproduced on makes a difference. On my laptop, it works perfectly but on my phone it doesn't. Also, various versions of it on the web that have clearly been compressed several times in a row don't seem to work as well as the link above.

Theo

I hear "brain needle", but can't reach the "brainstorm" stage. I think I'll change my cables to overcome that:p...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how this would have turned out if the audio clip did not have a note before it suggesting you will hear either laurel or yanny. What if they just asked "what do you hear?" and then take a poll. By suggesting you will hear one or the other, they've already potentially biased the listener from hearing anything else.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom