• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which volume DAC with Topping LA90 ?

geekosa

Hello,

I currently own a AVP + powerAmp, but I would like to upgrade my sound quality with a stereo setup in adition of the HT.
So I need a way to switch from the AVR to the stereo setup and the other way around.

I only listen music from sopitfy/tidal/deezer, nothing else.

I see Topping LA90 can be used as a poweramp (using to bypass toogle) and could be a great idea because it has several inputs. So it should allow me to switch from AVP and stereo.

1/ Which DAC with volume could I use with the LA90 ?
Or should I use DAC + preamp ?
Which one could be a great solution ? The DAC should have access to HD bluetooth at least, and it would be great if it is compatible with HD music (deezer, tidal, and soon spotify) using upnp.
Is the D90SE a good choice ? Or the Gustard X16/X18/X26 ?

2/ Do you know the difference between LA90 and LA90D ? Audiophonics is selling both.

Thank you,

If you need to know my current setup, here it is :
Marantz AV8802A
Onkyo PA MC5500
Focal Sopra N2
Focal Sopra Center
Focal Sopra Surround
Focal Sopra Sub

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
2/ Do you know the difference between LA90 and LA90D ? Audiophonics is selling both.
The only noteworthy difference is that the LA90D now officially supports 4Ω speakers in Mono mode (one LA90D per speaker).
The LA90 supported 4Ω in Stereo, but only 8Ω in Mono.

Though the LA90D can play louder than the LA90, it's a miniscule amount. Less than 1dB.

OP
G

geekosa

The only noteworthy difference is that the LA90D now officially supports 4Ω speakers in Mono mode (one LA90D per speaker).
The LA90 supported 4Ω in Stereo, but only 8Ω in Mono.

Though the LA90D can play louder than the LA90, it's a miniscule amount. Less than 1dB.
Since my Sopra N2 can reach 3.1ohms in bass Frequency, I will take the LA90D then

OP
G

geekosa

I think I will take the SMSL SU-9 PRO which seems to be a great DAC.

Top Bottom