• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which type of tweeter is the best, and why are there so many types of them?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
with all the qualifiers you mention I would say find one that fits and adjust .
+1 There are two relevant parameters, as far as I am concerned: sensitivity and the driver's fs. The timeworn rule of thumb is crossover at least 2x above fs.
So... as long as the fs is low enough to accommodate the VMPS's XO frequency and it's at least as sensitive, Bob's your uncle! If it's more sensitive, it can always be padded down with a fixed (or variable) L-pad.

I might have one spare R/S tweeter downstairs if you @davidc live in the continental US and if you'd like to try it! :) I am nothing if not an enabler. :)

EDIT: In terms of power-handling -- in the worst case, a fuse or resettable protector (e.g., a Raychem "polyswitch") can always be added to the tweeter circuit. The former may be more audibly acceptable than the latter. :rolleyes:

davidc

Forum Donor
+1 There are two relevant parameters, as far as I am concerned: sensitivity and the driver's fs. The timeworn rule of thumb is crossover at least 2x above fs.
So... as long as the fs is low enough to accommodate the VMPS's XO frequency and it's at least as sensitive, Bob's your uncle! If it's more sensitive, it can always be padded down with a fixed (or variable) L-pad.

I might have one spare R/S tweeter downstairs if you live in the continental US and if you'd like to try it! :) I am nothing if not an enabler. :)

Cool. What spare do you have?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Cool. What spare do you have?
Just one of those cheapie 40-1375s. Pretty sure they're knockoffs of the JVCs, and that JVC had nothing to do with them. :(
It is not the right replacement driver, but it might be close enough. I suspect it may have the same dimensions.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." :cool:

Mind you, I do have to check to see if my recollection of having an odd (third, in this case), functional example of the tweeter is correct. I'll aim to do that Monday sometime. I'll let you know, either way, by PM anon. :)

I did once have another single, nicer R/S driver which I suspect was actually a JVC product... but it's gone to another home (speaking of that enablement thing).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It is because math with complex number involve phase angle, which I find very strange, I feel complex number is not pure anymore if they have "phase"!!!!
Discussions of phase can be so polarizing.
Fortunately, that should be just a phase you're going through*. :cool:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting...I just fried my JVC super tweeter in my VMPS Super Towers. Actually saw sparks in them! The JVC model was JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon (Leaf) Tweeter. And they had about 6 variations with different specs. It was considered an excellent super tweeter in its day. I am now looking for a replacement. I'm just wondering how important is it really to match the Theil/Small parameters with my replacement considering the crossover is a 1st order, but at 15kHz. I also have an L-pad adjustment, plenty of power, and can use Audyssey to adjust EQ as well. And I can't hear that high anyway!

Any suggestions?
Thiele-Small parameters are mainly used to describe the theoretical behaviour of a woofer in an enclosure, so unfortunately not helpful for trying to find a replacement tweeter.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't argue they are "better" but I think the MBL omni tweeters are my favorite tweeters. I found that the level of detail, and the natural character of that detail was unsurpassed in any other speaker design I've tried. Drum cymbals, especially, sounded more like drum cymbals than any other design I've heard.

Bren Derlin

There are many tweeter types and technologies :
Cone tweeter.
Dome tweeter.
Piezo tweeter.
Ribbon tweeter.
Planar-magnetic tweeter.
Electrostatic tweeter.
AMT tweeter.
Horn tweeters etc.
On the other hand bass drivers are basically mostly the same.
Which type of tweeter is the best and why are there so many types of them if they all achieve the same goal?

Ring Radiator Tweeters.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let us not forget the Magnat Plasma tweeter with its sound radiation 360°.
I will never forget listening to it a long time ago.
j8m6.jpg

Top Bottom