• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which type of conversation about Audio/Music do you really hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katji

Major Contributor
Talking to people who think music is bad because they don't like it. And they only like 30 year old music or new music from bands that are 30 years old.
And post asking "How can I find new music?" but they mean music like what they like from 40+ years ago.

Katji

Major Contributor
Its so easy to find new music, yt alone needs more than one live.
That's what I'm doing every day. Life is short. ........ + I sometimes go from soundcloud to see their instagram, nice fotos, where they go. | and Resident Advisor magazine...like today, from one feature there to a news story - new Love Parade again in Berlin ! :D wunderbar! This weekend. No stage, only parade. Calling for state recognition for music cuture of Berlin.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That's what I'm doing every day. Life is short. ........ + I sometimes go from soundcloud to see their instagram, nice fotos, where they go. | and Resident Advisor magazine...like today, from one feature there to a news story - new Love Parade again in Berlin ! :D wunderbar! This weekend. No stage, only parade. Calling for state recognition for music cuture of Berlin.

Just watch a doku like this.

And follow the mentioned bands. So much to learn. And thats just one type if music. Same you can do with reaggea, techno, ...,name it. So if someone says he cant find new music, is like saying, i cant finde a tree while staying in the black forest. ;)

Katji

Major Contributor
new Love Parade again in Berlin !

https://ra.co/news/77505

rtp-flyer.jpg

Rave The Planet, a new incarnation of legendary techno demonstration Love Parade, is taking place in Berlin on Saturday, July 9th, and 10th.

The event will be the first major Love Parade edition in Berlin in more than 15 years. It will travel seven kilometres across the German capital, from Kurfürstendamm to Großer Stern, where the final rally will take place.

"This isn't a revival—it's a new beginning," Dr. Motte, one of the figureheads behind Rave The Planet, told Resident Advisor.
"Let's create something new—together again. We made a conscious decision to have a demonstration-only march this year, without a main stage, completely back to the roots. Like the early Love Parades at the beginning of the 1990s.
This is how we would like to continue the tradition: honest, from the heart and made by ravers, for ravers."

As well as returning to Love Parade's origins, Dr. Motte added, the event will also be a "political demonstration" to show support for the preservation of electronic dance music culture. DJs such as Juan Atkins, Daniel Boon, Luigi Madonna, Last Robots, Samantha Togni, Techno Anarchist and Stephanie Sykes will perform on floats representing Berlin, Sweden, Belgium, Estonia, Poland, Ukraine and the Netherlands, among others. There will also be a UK float, run by Save Our Scene.

Political demands in English and German will sound every hour on the hour. They'll include demands to recognise electronic music as a cultural asset; to protect clubs and venues; to provide unconditional basic income for artists and cultural workers;

rtp-demo-route.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
So if someone says he cant find new music, is like saying, i cant finde a tree while staying in the black forest. ;)

:D

....Those political demands have been developing over years. It will be good for economy and everything. Contribute to making Berlin more of a cultural centre of the world than ever before.

ta240

Major Contributor
Over the past few months I actually had several conversations about music that went like this:

A: so do you like listening to music?
B: sure, who doesn’t.
A: ok which genre of music do you prefer?
B. You know - I basically listen to everything
A: (invisible eye roll) everythingl so do you like rock?
B: not really
A: metal?
B: omg wtf no.
A: hip hop?
B: maybe sometimes idk
A: maybe classical?
B: ive heard some songs I guess (yeah „songs“ sure)
A: (almost giving up) [thinking: ok that’s not going anywhere let’s try something different]
A: any artists you currently prefer?
B: yeah but cant really point at them…
A: ok what about band X?
B: never heard of them
A: what about singer y she‘s quite popular
B: idk maybe Heard- a song or two
A: what about artist Z?
A. Then what DO you listen to?
B: actually I listen to whatever comes on the radio. Charts and stuff
A: (small facepalm) ok do you like this song? (Name a few random chart songs)
B: never really heard their titles maybe
A: (big facepalm)

it’s not like im gatekeeping or anything. It’s perfectly fine to not listen to music but then say so in the first place. To me however - being a musician myself - I just can’t fathom how someone could not actively listen to music. What theyre doing is not listening. For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring. Even when you’re just listening to radio pop it’s not forbidden to actively enjoy it for what it is. I mean I occasionally listen to (selected) modern pop as well and I grew to really like some artists (as you probably derive from my username). No music is void of substance and I’m the last guy to judge anyone based on their taste. however what I judge is their approach to music and the conversation that really happened like this several times is the worst approach to music one can have imo, it’s worse that not listening to any music at all.

I find that versions of that conversation can happen with anything that one person may enjoy more emphatically than another.
-movies, "How can someone not watch movies multiple times and take in all the subtlety and expression from the filmmaker? Just watching a movie for enjoyment is ridiculous. They may as well not watch movies."
-food, "How can someone not go out of their way to experience every form of food, figure out the ingredients, talk to the chef, focus on the experience. Just eating food they like and being happy with it is crazy. They may as well just eat fast food."
-books, "How can someone not read such and such writer and instead only read these other writers? They are missing out on what literature is. They may as well look at pop-up books."
-cars, "How can someone say they like to drive when they haven't done any performance training and don't understand how the car works and the physics of it all. They may as well take a bus."
-travel, "How can someone just visit an area and relax. They are missing out on the entire reason to travel, they may as well stay home."
-volunteering, "How can someone not spend some of their time giving back to the community, it is so fulfilling. They may as well just sit on the couch all the time"
-exercising, "How can someone not have a full exercise regiment? Just going for a walk and doing a few exercises isn't going to make enough of a difference."
-sports, "How can you call yourself a fan if you don't know all the stats? Don't even watch sports if you don't understand all the details."
-diet, "You can't say you watch what you eat if you don't look at the ingredients on everything you eat"
and on and on.

Most people have something that they are much more into compared to some other people; listening to music is just another one of those things. It doesn't mean the other people aren't doing it right, they are just doing it differently; they may not get as much out of it even if they 'actively' did it. We get different amounts of enjoyment from different things. Any one of those things listed above someone could say they enjoy and it could be on a basic level or it could be a very intense experience for them.

I've heard musicians talk in glowing terms about music I didn't like at all and I figured that they understand more of the difficulty and what is going on so they appreciate it in a different way. Similar to the way some chefs get all excited when another chef takes a questionable ingredient and makes it taste good. More than just the final taste, they are appreciating the process that got there.

Last edited:

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Over the past few months I actually had several conversations about music that went like this:

A: so do you like listening to music?
B: sure, who doesn’t.
A: ok which genre of music do you prefer?
B. You know - I basically listen to everything
A: (invisible eye roll) everythingl so do you like rock?
A: metal?
B: omg wtf no.
A: hip hop?
B: maybe sometimes idk
A: maybe classical?
B: ive heard some songs I guess (yeah „songs“ sure)
A: (almost giving up) [thinking: ok that’s not going anywhere let’s try something different]
A: any artists you currently prefer?
B: yeah but cant really point at them…
A: ok what about band X?
B: never heard of them
A: what about singer y she‘s quite popular
B: idk maybe Heard- a song or two
A: what about artist Z?
A. Then what DO you listen to?
B: actually I listen to whatever comes on the radio. Charts and stuff
A: (small facepalm) ok do you like this song? (Name a few random chart songs)
B: never really heard their titles maybe
A: (big facepalm)

it’s not like im gatekeeping or anything. It’s perfectly fine to not listen to music but then say so in the first place. To me however - being a musician myself - I just can’t fathom how someone could not actively listen to music. What theyre doing is not listening. For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring. Even when you’re just listening to radio pop it’s not forbidden to actively enjoy it for what it is. I mean I occasionally listen to (selected) modern pop as well and I grew to really like some artists (as you probably derive from my username). No music is void of substance and I’m the last guy to judge anyone based on their taste. however what I judge is their approach to music and the conversation that really happened like this several times is the worst approach to music one can have imo, it’s worse that not listening to any music at all.

That is what happens when you try to start a conversation with someone who is embarrased to admit that what they really like listening to is the old rubbish music from their youth...

They fear getting bashed like this...
Fxck me. One of the weird things about it is, all this fuss about hi-fi, and so many of them listen to..well, what I think is crap, like I thought was crap 50 years ago and I still do. And that so many of them are stuck listening to what they listened to 40-50 years ago. Good grief. [tbc]

Back to the coffee thread now!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The best music conversation you can have is headbanging with a nice girl. ;)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
We don’t do “Hate” threads here. Hate leads to emotional outbursts and anger. Anger leads to violence. Thread closed.

You may start a new similar thread without the Hate encouragement crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom