• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

ta240

Major Contributor
I also bought this amplifier, but the pop noise when turning the power on and off is amazing. Testing with expensive speakers should be stopped.

I got the exact same amp and had the same issue. I parked it because of that.

Bushellj

bought the TPA3255 amplifier, do you recommend a power supply that can be combined? I understand very little about these things.
2020-07-02-115815.png

I use mine with a Meanwell RST-200-24 with it turned up to 30 volts. Works great.

Depending on the version you received from the vendor - the later ones are fitted with an Anti-Pop circuit - just use the Power Supply to turn on and off leaving the switch on the amplifier in the on position.

Toku

Major Contributor
I also bought this amplifier, but the pop noise when turning the power on and off is amazing. Testing with expensive speakers should be stopped.
I mentioned the pop noise of the AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amplifier the other day, but when I asked AIYIMA again about the pop noise problem, he answered, "I already added an anti-pop circuit and the problem was solved." Today I ordered another AIYIMA A07 to verify it. I will check the actual operation when it arrives.

Bushellj

I mentioned the pop noise of the AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amplifier the other day, but when I asked AIYIMA again about the pop noise problem, he answered, "I already added an anti-pop circuit and the problem was solved." Today I ordered another AIYIMA A07 to verify it. I will check the actual operation when it arrives.

The first generation of this product did not have Anti Pop - Unfortunately I have one of these !!

If you put up a picture of the internals of your Amplifier I can confirm which one you have - There is an extra small 8-Lead chip adjacent to the front panel by the switch on the later model that has the Anti-Pop circuit like the Aiyima A04 TPA3251 model that appears to have this as standard across all releases.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had the Aiyima A04 as my desktop amplifier driving a pair of Q-Acoustics 3010 speakers for several months and can confirm no pops or clicks. Dead quiet in all ways. An excellent little ChiFi amp with a tiny remote control.

The Aiyima has outlasted two Topping PA3's that died after a few months.

Toku

Major Contributor
The first generation of this product did not have Anti Pop - Unfortunately I have one of these !!

If you put up a picture of the internals of your Amplifier I can confirm which one you have - There is an extra small 8-Lead chip adjacent to the front panel by the switch on the later model that has the Anti-Pop circuit like the Aiyima A04 TPA3251 model that appears to have this as standard across all releases.
I opened the amplifier case of TPA3255 and confirmed.
As you pointed out, this lot does not have an 8pin chip.
The amplifier of TILEAR TPA3251 which seems to be the original of this model had an 8-pin chip attached.

I have one question.
My TILEAR TPA3251 amplifier is currently sold as AIYIMA A04, and the internal parts seem to have been changed. Do you know which is better in terms of characteristics?

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:

Bushellj

The amplifier of TILEAR TPA3251 which seems to be the original of this model had an 8-pin chip attached.

I have one question.
My TILEAR TPA3251 amplifier is currently sold as AIYIMA A04, and the internal parts seem to have been changed. Do you know which is better in terms of characteristics?

i have an early Aiyima A07 TPA3255 without the AntI Pop and the Aiyima A04 TPA3251 (Green PCB - Second generation) with Anti Pop circuit. Of these two I prefer the TPA3251 model as I think it has better quality components as originally supplied.

Aiyima now appears to be selling the Green PCB newer models with greatly inferior components !! Cost reduction at the factory is not the way forward for what was a very nice amplifier.

Of course if you plan to modify the unit with upgraded components anyway then I guess this is a good starting point.

There is also another very similar model of the TPA3255 which only has a single Power Supply Capacitor - Often sold as an Aiyima model that I would tend to avoid !! Not seen anyone test this more recent model but again seemS to be a greatly cost reduced model but shipped in a similar box.

Just be careful what you order and check what you actually receive !! The Sellers on AliExpress often don't understand that there are different models and the photos bear little resemblance to what they actually ship. I am currently in dispute with a supplier for shipping a different product to his photos and he is trying to argue that it is the same specification/function even if the boards are different - in this case the headers on the boards have a different pin out so not compatible !!!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just be careful what you order and check what you actually receive !! The Sellers on AliExpress often don't understand that there are different models and the photos bear little resemblance to what they actually ship.

Thank you for this excellent post. A big problem with cheap commoditized audio components is the common lack of sufficient technical information and support. Even Topping's support is iffy and marginal. I use "cheap ChiFi" DACs and amps for main system backup, for my desktop DAC/amp, and for battery-powered portable audio, but consider these cheap compoents to be "throwaway" technology. They are not much more than toys, but when they do work properly, they provide good audio.

However, one needs to decide whether to gamble that a $100 amplifier or DAC will last a year, or buy a more expensive traditional component that will like last 10-20 years or more from a company that actually provides good tech support and warranty service. Warranty service that you have to fight over with non responsive sellers is neither productive or enjoyable.

Last edited:

Bushellj

Thank you for this excellent post. A big problem with cheap commoditized audio components is the common lack of sufficient technical information and support. Even Topping's support is iffy and marginal. I use "cheap ChiFi" for main system backup, as a desktop DAC/amp, and for battery-powered portable audio, but consider throwaway technology. They are not much more than toys, but when they do work properly, they provide good audio.

However, one needs to decide whether to gamble that a $100 amplifier or DAC will last a year, or buy a more expensive traditional component that will like last 10-20 years or more from a company that actually provides good tech support and warranty service. Warranty service that you have to fight over with non responsive sellers is neither productive or enjoyable.

Hi Xulonn.

I buy loads of stuff from China and you need to be savvy about your choices and give them hell when they don't ship what they have advertised - Usually I get a refund without a problem and AliExpress is actually quite good at policing the whole system. I agree technical information can be sparse and I would love a few Circuit Diagrams to help with modifications. Some are better at providing support than others. The big mass export companies who sell everything know nothing about anything they sell but the more niche suppliers who deal direct with their customers are usually very good.

You talk about buying more expensive traditional components. Almost all electronics are made in China even from the most prestigious brand names. You can often find the same boards for a fraction of the price but of course you sacrifice the warranty one gets from local brand name products. Actually I find the longevity of Chinese products to be much the same unless the components really have been pared back to the minimum but this is usually because I have not done my homework before purchasing.

Groups like this are a major source of information for what is worth purchasing and what to avoid and of course this is part of the fun to find those products that far outperform their price.

For me the 3e-Audio products can easily be the main system and it would seem a pity to relegate them to just Desktop Amplifier duties. They drive my main speakers and do a fab job. I will certainly purchase more (looking forward to the TPA3255 version) and just waiting now for the information from 3e-Audio on how to program the DSP.

Bushellj

I have one question.

The two models are slightly different or though most of the design is almost identical other the voltage rating of some of the components. The TPA3255 is designed to run at 48 volts whereas the TPA3251 is more like 32 volts.

The Aiyima A04 has currently shipped with two different PCB's - Black Original and Green currently. Both are marked Tilear as far as I am aware although the Green PCB also introduced a larger heatsink that obscures the branding of the board. The main concern is that as new batches come through there appears to be a move to cheaper brands of capacitors and there has been some discussion as to whether the Op-Amps are genuine TI Products as even replacing them with genuine TI products appears to improve the amplifier. The main Power Supply Caps seem to be critical for the performance of these digital amplifiers and need to be well specced - Just any old cheap capacitor in these positions does not fly !!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
What type of speakers can I pair with the TPA3255?
i have a 36v 5a power supply
You've not said enough about your requirements or your amp to get a good answer. If the amp you're using meets datasheet specs you'll get ~75W per channel into 8R with that power supply, with 1% distortion. Into 4R it will be limited by the power supply current for sustained output, but should briefly give ~130W at 1% distortion. Most hifi amps specify power at a lower distortion level, often 0.1%, so you'd need to drop those numbers a bit for a direct comparison. It should work well with most 'normal' speakers in a lot of situations.

Derekinla

Newbie here looking for info. I have a 24v 5A power supply adapter lying around. Could I use this with the Aiyima A07 or the other version with the the Bluetooth and DAC? I haven’t purchased this amp yet but wanted to know options. I will using the amp near field with 4-8 ohm bookshelf speakers rated at 75watts. The Bluetooth version with APTX and DAC chip seems intriguing to connect with MacBook Pro. The specs for needed power supply vary from one source to another. The Texas Instruments data sheet for the TPA3255 shows wide range of operating voltage. I’m guessing it will work? Is it bad if the voltage or amperage is too low? Also is there a difference getting the amp from the Aiyima store on EBay Vs AliExpress? Thanks!

robertospeed

Hi everyone, I need to get this DC 48V 7.3A power supply.
Risk of burning the TPA 3255?
On aliexpress it says that it is just suitable for the TPA 3255, so I bought it.
I would like to know if the TPA 3255 with this DC 48V 7.3A power supply can drive my Focal chorus 726 speakers well.

Attachments

• DC48V 7.3A TPA3255 FOCAL CHORUS 726.png
    DC48V 7.3A TPA3255 FOCAL CHORUS 726.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 874

Zek

Major Contributor
You need to check the capacitors in the power supply. I think they are rated 35V and cannot withstand 48V voltage.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi everyone, I need to get this DC 48V 7.3A power supply.
Risk of burning the TPA 3255?
On aliexpress it says that it is just suitable for the TPA 3255, so I bought it.
I would like to know if the TPA 3255 with this DC 48V 7.3A power supply can drive my Focal chorus 726 speakers well.
If the TPA3255 amplifier in the photo is used, it is safer to set the power supply voltage to 32V. Also, be careful of large pop noise (shock noise) when the power is turned on and off. I bought the same product, but now I have replaced it with AIYIMA A07. If it is this product, it can be used at 48V.

Derekinla

If the TPA3255 amplifier in the photo is used, it is safer to set the power supply voltage to 32V. Also, be careful of large pop noise (shock noise) when the power is turned on and off. I bought the same product, but now I have replaced it with AIYIMA A07. If it is this product, it can be used at 48V.

Which vendor did you get the A07 from?

robertospeed

I purchased AIYIMA A07 from AliExpress and Amzon.jp.
AliExpress used Aiyima Technology Store, but it took a month to deliver. Amazon.jp arrived in 2 days, but the price is about 10$ higher than Aliexpress.
I am trying my TPA3255 today because the power supply has arrived now, it feels good, but unfortunately it makes noise to the speakers when I turn off and on, but the AIYIMA A07 you bought does not make noise? if it doesn't make noise, I buy it.

Toku

Major Contributor
I am trying my TPA3255 today because the power supply has arrived now, it feels good, but unfortunately it makes noise to the speakers when I turn off and on, but the AIYIMA A07 you bought does not make noise? if it doesn't make noise, I buy it.
Your TPA3255 amplifier is the same as the one I used to use before, without the circuitry to prevent pop noise when powering on and off.
The model that improved it is AIYIMA A07. Since this model has a built-in anti-pop circuit, there is no noise at all.

Top Bottom