• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Guerilla

For my own DACs I do use a regular old..

Apologies for the rambling, to be honest I am still most interested in learning why these modern SMPS seem to perform and measure so well - and if there is something I can learn from them to make my vintage Class AB gear shine in a new way.
I believe there is a separate subforum for powersupplies and all the latest news
Cheers!

10khz-lpf

Is anyone using a 20K Potentiometer on the input of their TPA3255? I know this is a contentious topic so I am not looking to start a discussion of opinions, just want to know if it's technically possible because I believe I read someone tried a potentiometer of 100K and the Shui Yuan amp went into protection mode.

I'm also curious exactly what connector size is the input of the Shui Yuan board. is it plain 3 pin JST? (not micro or mini JST)

gabo4au

I find the 3e audio SY-DAPx002 series of amps to be pretty good. And they are a good platform to make improvements if you're a DIY person. Lots of info on changing op-amps, capacitors, and tweaking the onboard DSP.

The SY-DAP1002 is TPA3250 based and the SY-DAP2002 is TPA3255 based.

10khz-lpf

I thought I saw a post in this thread warning about some modification to the PCB that should be made before using the amp. Is this true? is there any error in the PCB? If not, it may have been a mistranslation saying something was poorly soldered, which is easy enough to find with a visual inspection and fix.

ClassicGuy

Is anyone using a 20K Potentiometer on the input of their TPA3255? I know this is a contentious topic so I am not looking to start a discussion of opinions, just want to know if it's technically possible because I believe I read someone tried a potentiometer of 100K and the Shui Yuan amp went into protection mode.

I'm also curious exactly what connector size is the input of the Shui Yuan board. is it plain 3 pin JST? (not micro or mini JST)

I am using both 10K and 50K ones, and both work fine for me. Just some cheap linear pots I bought from Amazon.

Each Shui Yuan board should come with a connector. I believe the size is 3 pin JST XH.

Larudakote

Hi!

I did not read the 64 pages of this thread but ±30% ;)
I ask a question, sort of breadcrumb here: which Shui Yuan board did you finally tested?

1. that one (with twisted RCA!)
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003223304972.html

H73cdd8de12fd417f9de27616982a37c2u.jpg

2. or that one:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002817637268.html
Panneau-d-amplification-num-rique-TPA3251-2-0-DC17-36v-panneau-d-amplification-num-rique-puissant.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

On the first one, we can't easily change OP amps but find better output self.
On the second, the self seems undersized, but DIP8 OPAs on sockets. I like the mute option.

For a mono version, this board (sold by Audiophonics too) should be the best one:
module-amplificateur-mono-class-d-tpa3255-1x-140w-4-ohm.jpg

kokakolia

Hello, I don't want to create another topic so I'll hijack this thread.

My tube amplifier is under repair, so I bought the cheapest pre-built amp I could find for "laughs" to power my beloved OGY.

I know that I missed the Tripath hype train 5 years ago, but darn! The Tripath T2024 is something magical with the OGY (associated with the REL T5x sub, because you won't get much bass out of the T2024).

This Chinese brand called Wondom/Sure sells this T2024 chip. It's only 10W under 8ohm, probably less. I bought the pre-built integrated amplifier for 40€ and spent an extra 20€ on some power adapter. The board alone is probably less than 20€.

It's so silky smooth and clear with fullrange drivers! Heck it might even edge out the tube amplifier in terms of clarity. But the tube amp wins for bass and lower midrange. But it doesn't matter because the subwoofer adds bass! So buying the tube amp was kinda dumb... Oh well.

Are other class TPA class D amps as smooth as the Tripath? I don't have the time or money to try every single chip out.

Look, I'm just saying that those Tripath amps are something special.

Mspw

Hi guys, sorry to be a bother but was hoping for your guidence on what one should expect for their power supplies. I've purchased a unit which I think is identical to the supplies within this thread - 600w llc, 36volt. The thing that concerns me is voltage fluctuation on the dc output without load. I'm measuring a 2.65v fluctuation (approx 7.3% +/-). The advertised specification is 3% with/without load and the supplier has just informed that zero or low load produces a hickup effect and that its normal. But is it? What are you're experiences and does the suppliers assertions hold water? Thank you in advance.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi guys, sorry to be a bother but was hoping for your guidence on what one should expect for their power supplies. I've purchased a unit which I think is identical to the supplies within this thread - 600w llc, 36volt. The thing that concerns me is voltage fluctuation on the dc output without load. I'm measuring a 2.65v fluctuation (approx 7.3% +/-). The advertised specification is 3% with/without load and the supplier has just informed that zero or low load produces a hickup effect and that its normal. But is it? What are you're experiences and does the suppliers assertions hold water? Thank you in advance.
It's not that uncommon, especially on cheaper devices.
Simply measure the voltage with the amp plugged in and on, but not operating.

welder911

Hello everyone, I have a tpa3255EVM, I wonder which is the best opamp for this product.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone, I have a tpa3255EVM, I wonder which is the best opamp for this product.
OPA1692 or OPA1656 or OPA1612

Try to order from a reliable supplier like digikey or Mouser.

I have these 3 OPs on my amplifiers and DACs. I have several others from other manufacturers, but the TI ones are already very good.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
TI's TPA3255EVM op amp uses the NE5532ADR SOIC type.
This op amp is a small form factor and is soldered directly to the board, so I recommend using it in its original state.
I've tested many famous op amps so far, but I didn't feel any discernible difference.

Jeza3975

I've just joined this forum after reading this thread on the TPA amps
I've been on Ali express and I've found a couple interesting boards. One is using the TPA 3251 and claims to be rather high end components wise and one is based on infineons new is called the ma5332ms. It's the same one found in the newish smsl a300 and sabaj 2022 amps. I've attached photos as I'm curious if anyone on here has experience of either boards?

Attachments

• 13429995782132618429.jpg
    13429995782132618429.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 186
  • -149507810-543261949.jpg
    -149507810-543261949.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: UAN
Top Bottom