• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Zoomer

I'm afraid the word TEST has lost all its meaning in this thread.

bbaker6212

Hi amigos,

Just got my new TPA3255 by HanZao.
This module is pretty unknown so I wanted to test it )

Out of the Box the module comes with the below components :

- 8000uf Rubycon YXF serie Low ESR / 50V
- Buffer caps, Rubycon YXF serie as well
- FIlm caps (MKP) Wurth
- SE Input (using Micro JST connector 2.0)
- DIP 8 OP Amps 5532 (updated with OPA1656)

Need to make a listening test before comparing vs others...
But sounds good at the moment. No Pop sound ON / OFF.

The module is really well protected : Yesterday I was tired and I mounted the power supply in the wrong way and the same for the OP amps... The module has automatically put itself in protection mode.
The Micro JST 2.0 connector is not practical for the SE input but I connected it with a JST 2.54 which is more conventional.

The amp :

- Full alu case
- HanZao TPA3255 module
- 350W LLC PSU / 36V / 9.5A
- OPA1656
- Alps volume pot
- PET Cooper Cables
- AC Filter

Next step : updating Buffer caps.... If I have time )

Where did you buy this? Have a link?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I found this on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/755...nce-class-d-amplifier?ref=shop_home_active_11

The seller also provides bare borads if you fancy a go a soldering surface mount components.

If the measurements are correct, this would put the performance in the same ballpark as some of the Hypex and Purifi modules; although I'm no expert, so perhaps someone more knowledgable could verify that.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
See maty's post #7 for photo and link to the diyaudio thread, and search for XRK in posts by daniboun for more details on that board.

memphiskat

I have this Adcom GFA5300 amp that has a non functioning left channel (just produces noise as soon as a speaker is connected). So I am planning on gutting it and using it as a box for a TPA 3255 amp module and power supply. I figure I can use the rca inputs, speaker posts, AC power cord, on/off switch and associated wiring and it should be easy enough to make a new amp out of it with just the TPA3255 board and power supply. The amp has left and right clipping indicators on the front. Would it be possible to hook those up as well?

I will probably use the Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 board and something like a Mean Well LRS-350-48 (48v 7.3A) power supply. Anyone see any problems I might run into with this plan. The box already has plenty of slots for ventilation on the top and is plenty big enough I think. I also considered going a different route and using something like an all in one IcePower125ASX2 instead. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8549 (2).jpg
    IMG_8549 (2).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_8552 (2).jpg
    IMG_8552 (2).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_8550 (2).jpg
    IMG_8550 (2).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
I would not throw away such an amplifier, I would look for the possibility to repair it because it is very well made with a large transformer and excellent power supply.

memphiskat

I would not throw away such an amplifier, I would look for the possibility to repair it because it is very well made with a large transformer and excellent power supply.

I looked into that. I called my local hifi shop that I've done business with for a long time and they said they wouldn't recommend repairing it because of the age of the amp and cost. So I looked online and found EBC Electronics that specializes in repairs of units like this. They want a flat fee of $175 and shipping both ways (@$50 round trip). And they are very specific that this is only for a repair, not a refurbish, so I wouldn't be getting an amp back that has a bunch of new parts. $225 doesn't seem worth it. I could try more local shops but I'm not hopeful that an economically sound outcome will result.

Zek

Major Contributor
If you have a little skill you can use the power supply from the amplifier for a new project.

alessandro

[QUOTE = "bbaker6212, post: 707614, member: 28591"] Dove l'hai acquistato? Hai un link? [/ QUOTE]
Ho un preamplificatore e un amplificatore a valvole, ma ultimamente mi sono innamorato del piccolo integrato cinese in classe D.Per anni ho ascoltato bene con un BREEZE Tpa 3116 (100 watt x 2), ma ora vorrei comprarne un altro amplificatore per un secondo impianto hi-fi . Sono incerto tra AIYIMA 04, AIYIMA 07. Ma sarei interessato a sapere se il nuovo AIYIMA 08 è un buon amplificatore, o il corrispondente BRZ HIFI TPA3255-A (quello con le manopole alti, medi e bassi) o anche il BRZ HIFI TPA3255 X1 .
Attualmente utilizzo un DAC Topping D10 e guido un paio di Allison One, o talvolta RCF BR40.
Mi interessano anche altri amplificatori in classe D (Nobsound e qualsiasi altra marca) anche se devo spendere di più, purché siano migliori di quelli sopra citati. Grazie per i consigli

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Translation:
I have a preamp and a tube amplifier, but lately I have fallen in love with small Chinese class D integrateds. For years I have enjoyed a BREEZE Tpa 3116 (100 watts x 2), but now I would like to buy another amplifier for a second system. I've been considering the AIYIMA 04 and AIYIMA 07. But I would be interested to know if the new AIYIMA 08 is a good amplifier, or the similar BRZ HIFI TPA3255-A (the one with the treble, mid and bass controls) or even the BRZ HIFI TPA3255 X1 would be good choices.

I currently use a Topping D10 DAC and drive a pair of Allison Ones, or sometimes RCF BR40s. I am also interested in other class D amplifiers (Nobsound and any other brand) although I could spend more, as long as they are better than the ones mentioned above. Thanks for your suggestions

Pardon my translation: But you have some interesting speakers and I want to be sure you get good advice. Plus, I am a major fan of Allison Ones, if the pictured model here is the same as what you have:
Allison One Allison 1.jpg

RCF BR40 BR40.jpg

I know the Allison Ones were large low efficiency acoustic suspension towers each weighing 67 pounds and having 2 10" woofers. They were designed for placement against a wall. I cannot find traditional efficiency specs on the Model One, but they did make amp recommendations in the brochure of 30 watts minimum RMS. I used to own the little Allison 4s and loved them. I hope someone else here can make a good recommendation on amp choice.
Spero che qualcun altro qui possa dare una buona raccomandazione sulla scelta dell'amplificatore.

alessandro

[QUOTE = "GGroch, post: 711872, member: 1780"] Traduzione:

Perdonate la mia traduzione: ma avete degli oratori interessanti e voglio essere sicuro che riceverete buoni consigli. Inoltre, sono un grande fan di Allison Ones, se il modello nella foto qui è lo stesso di quello che hai:
Allison One View attachment 118697

RCF BR40 View attachment 118699

So che i Ones Allison erano grandi sospensione acustica bassa efficienza torri ciascuno del peso di 67 chili e avendo 2 woofer da 10" . Sono stati progettati per il posizionamento contro un muro. Non riesco a trovare le specifiche di efficienza tradizionali sulla Model One, ma hanno fatto raccomandazioni amp make a la brochure da 30 watt RMS minimo. Possedevo i piccoli Allison 4 e li adoravo. Spero che qualcun altro qui possa fare una buona raccomandazione sulla scelta dell'amplificatore.
Spero che qualcun altro qui possa dare una buona raccomandazione sulla scelta dell'amplificatore. [/CITAZIONE]

alessandro

Sì, l'Allison One e l'RCF BR40 sono quelle nelle foto. Con alcune differenze, sono ottimi altoparlanti.

Aspetto un vostro consiglio su un amplificatore di classe D da acquistare: AIYIMA 04? AIYIMA 07? AIYIMA 08?
BRZ HIFI TPA3255-A? BRZ HIFI TPA3255 X1? O ALTRE MARCHE ...

Loathecliff

I'm afraid the word TEST has lost all its meaning in this thread.
Indeed, AFAIK. I admit I've only read ten pages of this thread but, dare I ask, has there been a blind test comparison involving this chip & (the much easier to power) 3116?
I'm tempted but the faffing about to get a decent, safe PS when the 3116 can be in use with a proven ex-laptop one? -Without blind test proof of a sonic improvement? ........NB I'm aware that my life would be short on certain lesser fi sites for daring to question :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Indeed, AFAIK. I admit I've only read ten pages of this thread but, dare I ask, has there been a blind test comparison involving this chip & (the much easier to power) 3116?
I'm tempted but the faffing about to get a decent, safe PS when the 3116 can be in use with a proven ex-laptop one? -Without blind test proof of a sonic improvement? ........NB I'm aware that my life would be short on certain lesser fi sites for daring to question :)
That's a fair question, assuming that the 3116 and laptop PSU can provide the power you need, but then you could use a 3255 (or more likely a 3250 or 3251 as they're designed for the lower power output) on the same laptop supply so there's no faffing. The result probably depends more on the implementation than the chip.

woodyohill

Forum Donor
Just want to give a quick report. I managed to get the BRZHiFi https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.39742e8dqSM4ls&id=626574028867&_u=kpeirecdaf2 TPA3255 2.1 amp. It took me a while but finally found out how the 2.1 is configured.

1) Subwoofer output is High Level, as in you need to connect to a Passive Sub or the High-Level Input of an Active Sub.
2) High means Treble, obvious, Low means Low, obvious, both apply to the L and R outputs
3) So how does the .1 work? So there is no HPF for the L and R outputs. The sub output covers the 20Hz to 140Hz range, with no tech spec on crossover etc.
4) L and R outputs are always full-range.

This is one strange piece of gear. I have yet to listen to it. Thought I would share what I managed to find out.

O1CN01jIQUu51kHPUoZfAeO_!!165944658.jpeg

Ralferator

Just want to give a quick report. I managed to get the BRZHiFi https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.39742e8dqSM4ls&id=626574028867&_u=kpeirecdaf2 TPA3255 2.1 amp. It took me a while but finally found out how the 2.1 is configured.

1) Subwoofer output is High Level, as in you need to connect to a Passive Sub or the High-Level Input of an Active Sub.
2) High means Treble, obvious, Low means Low, obvious, both apply to the L and R outputs
3) So how does the .1 work? So there is no HPF for the L and R outputs. The sub output covers the 20Hz to 140Hz range, with no tech spec on crossover etc.

This is one strange piece of gear. I have yet to listen to it. Thought I would share what I managed to find out.

View attachment 119161
I wonder why none of those chinese producers understands how nice it would be to have a 2.1 amp with a switchable high-pass-filter at 80 or 100hz and a changeable low-pass filter from 40-120 or 150 hz for the subwoofer. I think they would sell a lot.

audiobroke

I am new to this forum and this is my first post after going though this 50 page thread. There is some really valuable info here for those wanting to choose some affordable Class D amps. After trying out the B&O ICEpower modules many years ago I recently decided to revisit Class D. Starting out with the little affordable TPA3116D2 enclosure amp and the TDA7894E board, I was surprised by how they sound for the price, especially when driven with a bigger fitted switching PS + several large low ESR caps and heavy gauge wire before the amp.

Hi amigos,

I gave a try with the HanZao TPA3255 + OPA1692, I think it is the very first time they have been tested here with the TPA325X chip.

AMAZING OP AMPS !!!!!! Wouaaaaaaaaaaaa
An incredible definition! the highs are so good! The voices stand out wonderfully on the front of the stage, it's clean and what a soundstage! Love it )

Here are some videos, they are worth what they are worth but it gives an idea from a distance)

Video 1

https://streamable.com/kxykiy

Video 2

https://streamable.com/zfp8tn

The TPA3255 by HanZao on Aliexpress has got me interested and there is also the exact identical board with the TPA3251 selling for a little cheaper (free shipping). Putting aside the different voltage requirements and output power of these amps, I'd be curious about the difference in sonic performance.

Can you tell me what value / voltage of the caps that are used in front of the heat sink? It looks like (3) 10uf coupling caps and (2) slightly larger caps in the picture. I'm thinking of buying one of these boards and might get some better Nichicon or ELNA caps to replace some of these.

AudioGod66

View attachment 119161
Please let us know your listening impression -noise /hiss level etc. I saw this unit but was not sure if the L R outputs were full range or filtered so stayed away

trunkline

The TPA3255 by HanZao on Aliexpress has got me interested and there is also the exact identical board with the TPA3251 selling for a little cheaper (free shipping). Putting aside the different voltage requirements and output power of these amps, I'd be curious about the difference in sonic performance.

Can you tell me what value / voltage of the caps that are used in front of the heat sink? It looks like (3) 10uf coupling caps and (2) slightly larger caps in the picture. I'm thinking of buying one of these boards and might get some better Nichicon or ELNA caps to replace some of these.

Seems to be the same board as the TPA3255 that comments @danibound in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tpa3255-amp-do-you-recommend.9148/post-701314.

I am waiting for a 3251 version and I will tell you my impressions when it arrives. The seller has generated a tracking code but it seems that the product has not put in sorting center after 7 days. I am afraid that the product is very new and is selling it out of stock.

Top Bottom