• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Karu

Forum Donor
Either way it is great little box for a garage setup, or bedroom in my case. More oomph than the Marantz CR603 it replaced.

Ralferator

It's just the way the brain works - it can fool us into percieving a difference when there isn't one, or failing to spot a real difference because you're not expecting one for that matter. It's well known and demonstrated in other fields, not just audio, and it's why any testing where you want to know if there's actually a detectable difference has to control for other factors that might influence the result. A non-audio example is food tasting happening under blue lighting to avoid the food colour influencing the perception of flavour. In audio, testing has shown that a small difference in signal level between 2 signals leads to both being apparently as loud as each other, but the one with the greater level usually being preferred. This is why we insist on level matching. Similarly blind testing removes the bias you may have, consciously or unconsciously. Fast switching is needed to get past auditory memory being short. Then there's statistics - occasionally you can throw 10 heads in a row, so passing an ABX once may not be convincing, but getting somewhere around 70% right every time you do it will show there's a difference but that it's not always detectable.

One problem with this is that until you try a properly controlled test you won't see the need for one - after all you clearly heard a difference! You may fortuitously spot the problem - many builders, both DIY and professional, have described the experience of having clearly heard the difference from a change, then discovering that they hadn't actually changed anything.

Another problem is that a properly controlled test takes quite a bit more effort and expense, and may be simply impractical. An ABX box for testing cables, DACs, headphone amps and the like may be relatively easy, but power amp switching is a bit harder, and there aren't many off the shelf examples so you'll probably have to build it. A robotic speaker switcher is beyond almost all of us. It's also not a lot of fun!

I'm not saying that there's never an audible difference between opamps or cables, but usually when there is an audible difference it's because there's a measurable defect with one of them. It's even possible you'll prefer the sound of the defect. Spending an afternoon doing uncontrolled tests is mostly harmless entertainment, so long as it doesn't become an expensive habit, but you should be aware of the limitations. If you start telling others that there's a clear difference you should at least tell them whether it was in a controlled test or not.

I believe that you are right. I could - by the way - never hear a difference between cables but i didn't try opamps. Strangely i could hear differences between amplifiers but i don't know if my brain fooled me.

railthe

Hey guys, is there a Topping MX3 alternative based on TPA3255 or similar? I like the Topping functions but dont trust that one in particular. If DX3 was a speaker amp, I would probably try it...

aon500

I have 3 TPA3255 AIYIMA A07 amplifiers and all 3 with the standard OPAs all sound the same, if you change the OPAs the sound changes, sorry but I'm Italian and I translate the language with the translator, I hope I have explained myself well.

I have only 1 TPA3255 AIYIMA A07 and I can hear the sound changes too but we should say that just "our subjective" LOL.

OH I saw your TOPPING P50 LPS pic , Is it worth the price?

Last edited:

Ralferator

I have only 1 TPA3255 AIYIMA A07 and I can hear the sound changes too but we should say that just "our subjective" LOL.

OH I saw your TOPPING P50 LPS pic , Is it worth the price?

Which OP amps do you use with your TPA3255? Do you hear a dramatic change of sound or just subtle? Which way does the sound change from the original OP amps to the upgraded ones?

robertospeed

aon500

As I think, the topping D50 and topping E30 don't need a linear power supply like the topping P50, they sound good even with a simple smartphone battery charger.

Thank you , save that money for 1.5m usb cable and 2m power cable.

Toku

Major Contributor

Nao_bow

I bought several TPA3116D2 amplifiers, but none of them exceeded the sound quality of AIYIMA A07.
These amps are cheap, so please buy them yourself and compare them.

Yes... Until now I'm hearing about good sound quoality of A07.
But I have any HD sound source 96kHz/24bit, and I'm using DAC that has frequency response 10Hz-80kHz.
A07 is enough respond analog sound from this DAC?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-amp-do-you-recommend.9148/page-6#post-445952

It's really? Horrible measurement report.
A07 had didn't output of over 20kHz?
Now I have TPA3116, but if that measurement is correct, I'll be there no reason buy TPA3255...
The distortion plot stops just over 10kHz so there's a good chance the test was done with a 44.1kHz sample rate, and the sharp drop in frequency response is the antialias filter. Perhaps @scherbakov_al still has the details and can confirm.

Nao_bow

Does any audio file have a band greater than 20 kHz?:rolleyes:

Yeah, in Japan, it's called "High Resolution Audio".
Its mainly uses the FLAC format that provides 96kHz sampling frequency and 48kHz analog sound.
Those audio files are sold online.

Anyway, at next friday(Amazon Japan campaign), I think buy A07 and try it.

Top Bottom