• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you,
great, i can change opamps.
I ordered this
What @voodooless said plus most of the time these things act rather like a antenna and pick up noise and add distortion but definitely don’t improve anything audibly (when tested in a controlled manner) but increase the sellers bank account.

Or do you have any actual facts of improvements, which we are missing?

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Do you guys realize that it takes actual engineering to improve an amp's performance, not just replace random components for supposedly better ones?

Take for example these SMD to DIP adapters: they add a lot of inductance and move away the bypass capacitor way too far for comfort. In the worst case, you'll end up with an unstable situation and the thing oscillates.
This. Also, those “Discrete OPA” — Those bloody dogs-breakfast looking silicon towers. More like Daughterboards

Poking up like mini rf rx/tx/ antenna

Adding not only to the BOM, but also the complexity of signal.
And perhaps most importantly the potential for unforeseen interactions between the existing PCB and circuits contained within these silly little Cash Cows

Leaning-Towers-Of-Silicone these bloody things are. Little L/C/R emitting stations mounted 90 deg/vert

Scrivs

Forum Donor
I found many picture whithout cooling. Have two OP amp.
Looks to be extremely similar, if not identical to a Dayton branded board (KAB-2150) that I bought last year as it was: reasonably priced- $40. Those living in the lower 48 get free shipping with orders above a reasonable threshold ($50??)

Hawaii tax/AKA shipping came to almost 50% of what the board cost me. It’s pretty amazing, with the logistics involved, and vast distances covered that they can get it here in the first place. Amazing times we are witness to.

The KAB-150 Looks to be a Dayton (branded) manufactured for them by Sure Electronics/Wondom Electronics group, likely OEM/ODM with a bi-o-capacity behind em. Really good value, decent to really good design/manu/quality. Epically unfortunate company name. The moniker still elicits a smile.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Do you guys realize that it takes actual engineering to improve an amp's performance, not just replace random components for supposedly better ones?

Take for example these SMD to DIP adapters: they add a lot of inductance and move away the bypass capacitor way too far for comfort. In the worst case, you'll end up with an unstable situation and the thing oscillates.
I have also already pointed out that all cheap TPA3255 boards have the same cheap layout with the same cheap input circuit and has nothing to do with the quality of the components.
In addition, there is the missing PFFB design, which must be precisely tailored to the layout and components used. There is no need to mention the power supply for the input circuit.
If they compare their mods with an amplifier like Topping PA5/II, 3e Audio, SylphAudio or XRK Audio, they will notice how big the difference in sound is.
I speak from my own experience.

Last edited:

TheWalkman

I’m rather amazed that this thread has been cruising along for four and a half years.

Isn’t this question already answered? (I don’t have time to read 75 pages of comments.) Please indulge me to take a stab at answering the question.

As the owner of a handful of TPA3255 amps, depending on your budget, I say get an Aiyima A07 or Fosi V3 on the low end or if you want to splurge, get a Topping PA 5 or an amp based on the 3E Audio module like the Audiophonics AP300.

I think most of these amps do a great job and aren’t insanely expensive.

Now spend your time choosing some delectable music to enjoy rather than following this thread.

Please pardon me now: I have some delightful Chick Corea to get back to…

Matrix

3E AUDIO 260-2-29A 150e? Too expensive,plus box plus power supply,better to buy Topping PA-5​

alpha_logic

I just got the Fosi Audio ZA3 with the 48V power supply, for living room duty. Good, clean amp with plenty of power to drive my KEF q850 to deafening levels of volume. I did not replace any opamps, since the amp cost $150.00 with free shipping, and I don't see the purpose for spending another 150 bucks for opamps.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor

3E AUDIO 260-2-29A 150e? Too expensive,plus box plus power supply,better to buy Topping PA-5​

I have already had to send back 2 pieces of PA5 and 2 pieces of PA5 II as defective with channel failure. A third PA5 II is still running. but not that long yet.
As long as Topping uses these stupid closed modules, I will not buy a device with these modules. But of course that doesn’t have to stop you from trying your luck.

In terms of the quality of the boards, the performance and the components, the 3E Audio and the Sylph Audio amplifiers can be considered a good price/performance ratio. These two manufacturers have understood what is necessary to get the maximum performance out of the TPA3255 and TPA3251 and you can only find that in higher price classes.
But that's only my personal opinion.

Matrix

3e audio board 150e plus box 50e plus power supply at least 100e that is already too much for what the board gives (102db sinad), for 300e there is a Wiim amp or Emotiva Basx A2m. My friends have Topping PA5 and no one have defective. Max price for 3e board is 70 euros,realistically, that board is not even worth more than that.
This is my opinion

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
3e audio board 150e plus box 50e plus power supply at least 100e that is already too much for what the board gives (102db sinad), for 300e there is a Wiim amp or Emotiva Basx A2m. My friends have Topping PA5 and no one have defective. Max price for 3e board is 70 euros,realistically, that board is not even worth more than that.
This is my opinion
That's completely ok, but €70 is simply unrealistic for the 3E Audio and Sylph Audio boards.
If it's just about SINAD, there are certainly enough alternatives.
The 3E AUDIO 260-2-29A cannot be sold for 70€ with the components, the board quality, the quality of the SMD assembly, the improved power supply in the small signal range, PFFB, the specially milled cooling plate, etc. In addition, there are the development costs, because these designs no longer have anything in common with the standard applications and are a long way from the cheap standard boards.
If you are not prepared to honor all of these points, including the development, or if such points are simply not that important to you, then I completely understand you and would also see it as a waste of money. I feel the same way about some things.

I'm very happy that 3E Audio and Sylph Audio now offer boards of this quality and I no longer have to build it myself. After a self-assembled XRK audio board and a self-assembled TI EVA board with the TPA3255, I know exactly how high the component costs are for high quality, even though I have very cheap sources of supply thanks to my work in the industry. I don't even want to talk about the time required.
For me personally, all alternatives are significantly more expensive in terms of quality and functionality. However, I judge this based on my professional background in the industry and over 30 years in this DIY hobby.

In this respect, each of us has our own reality and our own opinion, which is a good thing, otherwise threads like this wouldn't even exist.

Matrix

Of course, they can be made for 70e, the Topping Pa5 itself does not cost more than 150e, everything with the box, packaging, power supply, transport,up to the price of 230e is their profit

Roland68

Major Contributor
Of course, they can be made for 70e, the Topping Pa5 itself does not cost more than 150e, everything with the box, packaging, power supply, transport,up to the price of 230e is their profit
A discussion at this point makes no sense.
Apparently there is a lack of understanding of how a company is financed, what costs there are, what the sale costs and everything else that arises.
€230 VK and €80 profit? Seriously? As Topping reads along, they'll have a great time or a lot of tears, maybe both at the same time. A device like this in this price range is only possible with larger quantities.
First of all, VAT goes down in the EU, shipping costs to the customer, then Amazon, Aliexpress, Ebay etc. also want 8-15%, then the retailer has to have a profit margin to cover its costs and pay employees. Then there are some handling, shipping costs, customs, etc. Of the approximately €110-125 that Topping receives, if it is even that much, all of the company's costs, including employees, buildings, electricity, storage costs, etc., have to be paid for. Then there are all the manufacturing, material and packaging costs for the device, and the rest is the lavish profit. I completely forgot about the development costs. If they aren't paid for, there's guaranteed to be no follow-up device.
That's the reality in this world when you make and sell something like that. Also my business in industry and photography. But in industry I wouldn't take on projects with such low calculations.

This also applies to the boards from 3E Audio and Sylph Audio. The two companies only see a 2-digit amount for their boards, and that's not as high as you probably think.
Small series like those from 3E Audio and Sylph Audio are much more expensive than a device produced in large quantities, such as a PA5/II.
Simply produce something like that yourself in small quantities and sell it for your suggested prices, then failure and loss are inevitable, but there is a lot of experience for that, even if it is very expensive. Of course, development isn't paid for yet, but who wants to be paid for their work...

Matrix

I said that as an example for Topping, without a problem 3e audio can make boards with a profit of max 70e, what they are now asking for 150e is ridiculous, when you add a box, power supply, xlr sockets, etc., it will be more expensive than Topping, Wiim amp, Emotiva, etc.
I'm sure there will soon be plenty of new Chinese PFFB tpa3255 boards for much less money

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm sure there will soon be plenty of new Chinese PFFB tpa3255 boards for much less money

Most cheap Chinese cards, they cut corners. So we must not dream or take these desires for realities.

Matrix

They managed to make Topping Pa5 cheaply, so it will be something affordable again. Currently, Topping Pa5 is on sale for 214 euros, so the price for a 3e board of 150e is senseless and ridiculous.

Attachments

• Topping.jpg
    Topping.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 52

surroundman

I like to try something new, and I'm not interested in buying a finished product. I love DIY
This one seems interesting for the price (other vendors, like Aiyima sell the same too) with some reviews and pictures from buyers there. I like having a fan - in theory it should somewhat improve the unit's lifespan.

Last edited:

KTOnexus

Dieser Für den Preis interessant erscheint (andere Anbieter, Wie Aiyima Verkaufe das auch) mit einigen Wertungen und Bildern von Käufern dort Ich mag es, einer Lüfter zu haben - theortisch sollte es die Lebensdauer des Gerichts etwas verbessernAM

This one seems interesting for the price (other vendors, like Aiyima sell the same too) with some reviews and pictures from buyers there. I like having a fan - in theory it should somewhat improve the unit's lifespan.
Many have Problem whith the tpa3255 board. The inductor is to smal and the board can not high voltage. I think wondom can work whith 48 volt but need fan .

carlmart

For that board you need a box that should house that all, external connectors, etc. Better get an Aiyima A07 or a Fosi. The Fosi has an excelent passive cooling system.

Top Bottom