• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which to use Low-Gain or High-Gain?

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use high gain when using Sundara and HD650, I have a pair of Ananda on the way, my understanding is that they are far easier to drive then the aforementioned headphones.

My question is, is it still best to drive the Ananda with High-Gain? at a lower volume level, or should I try and see if I can get the volume I need from Low-Gain? my gut instinct says that Low-Gain would be better since it has lower distortion but I am not real sure on that.

Thanks!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With analog volume controls, you may want to avoid using the lowest part of their range, because channel balance tends to be least accurate there, whereas it ought to be pretty good by the time you rotate the control to the 10 o'clock position or higher. Gain setting should not have much impact on distortion one way or another.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With analog volume controls, you may want to avoid using the lowest part of their range, because channel balance tends to be least accurate there, whereas it ought to be pretty good by the time you rotate the control to the 10 o'clock position or higher. Gain setting should not have much impact on distortion one way or another.

Thanks! also if it helps I am using a Topping A50S.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! also if it helps I am using a Topping A50S.
That amp looks just fine. For convenience's sake, choose the gain setting that lets you do most of your listening with volume control at middling levels (say, from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock), otherwise, it looks like there are no real performance penalties either way.

Mataempat

That amp looks just fine. For convenience's sake, choose the gain setting that lets you do most of your listening with volume control at middling levels (say, from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock), otherwise, it looks like there are no real performance penalties either way.
I just like to say thank you to your response and to @Rayman30 for posting this. I just got the A50s and asked myself the same question.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom