• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which streamer for Tidal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
That box got a really bad review. It's not one I'd be recommending.
Then don’t. I did as I doubt the average user can hear the difference. Feel free to be productive and make your own recommendation instead of crapping on everyone else’s.

MLaranjeiras

They call it a budget streamer at $550.00. A RPI, case, power supply is a budget streamer that's not broken.
Maybe they meant budget compared com others like Sony, Aurender, Lumin etc. Here, I choosed a US$ 150.00 2011 Mac Mini and a R$ 250.00 Topping E50 MQA DAC with an US$ 140.00 Wireworld Equinox RCA cable and a US$ 75.00 USB cable as a solution.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then don’t. I did as I doubt the average user can hear the difference. Feel free to be productive and make your own recommendation instead of crapping on everyone else’s.
Fair enough. But I hate to see broken gear get pumped.

MLaranjeiras

I'm not entirely "golden ears" when it comes to music. If a song is HiFi only it doesn't sound any worse (or better) than a song listed as Mastered. Though admittedly I have never used a source that can handle MQA (majority of my listening is using Android Auto through USB to my phone in my car)

I guess I am just looking to make things as simple as possible and feel like I have fallen down an MQA rabbit hole
I have Tidal both in MQA DAC Topping E50+Mac Mini +Wireword Equinox RCA cable to my Sansui AU-X911DG amplifier and mconnect+Oppo BDP 105, without MQA. I can not hear differences between MQA 192kHz/24bit on the first set and Flac 48kHz/24bit on the Oppo. My listening condition is not the "one", but is the same for both.

Kosimo

US$ 5,99 mconnect app works here like a breeze for Tidal and other music services. I finds my Oppo BDP 105 in the network upnp and that is all. For Mac Mini, an usb keyboard works just fine.

With the yesterday update (3.3.71, the 1st of July, 2022) I am not able to see UPNP devices in my network anymore (I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with Moode Audio).
Before the update I was able to find Moode UPNP among devices and stream to it.
Now the app crashes at startup if WiFi is enabled. Otherwise works with no problems but is not able to see the RPi obviously.

Is anyone experiencing the same bug? Ah BTW, I'm using the iOS version.

MLaranjeiras

With the yesterday update (3.3.71, the 1st of July, 2022) I am not able to see UPNP devices in my network anymore (I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with Moode Audio).
Before the update I was able to find Moode UPNP among devices and stream to it.
Now the app crashes at startup if WiFi is enabled. Otherwise works with no problems but is not able to see the RPi obviously.

Is anyone experiencing the same bug? Ah BTW, I'm using the iOS version.
Ouch! Mine is 3.2.47 version. Now, affraid to update and check:)

Kosimo

Ouch! Mine is 3.2.47 version. Now, affraid to update and check:)

Don't do it :)
It is better to wait someone else with the last version and see if it has the same problem!

Do you know of any other player with the same functionality ? (Tidal browsing and streaming over UPNP local devices)

MLaranjeiras

Don't do it :)
It is better to wait someone else with the last version and see if it has the same problem!

Do you know of any other player with the same functionality ? (Tidal browsing and streaming over UPNP local devices)
I went to use mine on main setup and, for a moment, it did not find the upnp devices. Just for a moment. Is working fine. Here if have 2G and 5G networks. Sometimes equipments assume 5G and I have do correct. Maybe you can insist a little over other possible issues that are not from mconnect.

Kosimo

I went to use mine on main setup and, for a moment, it did not find the upnp devices. Just for a moment. Is working fine. Here if have 2G and 5G networks. Sometimes equipments assume 5G and I have do correct. Maybe you can insist a little over other possible issues that are not from mconnect.

No no, it was a real bug on wired/wireless connection affecting local devices detection in the LAN (via UPNP).
Luckily they have already fixed the bug. This morning I have downloaded version 3.3.72 and now it works like a charm again :)

MLaranjeiras

No no, it was a real bug on wired/wireless connection affecting local devices detection in the LAN (via UPNP).
Luckily they have already fixed the bug. This morning I have downloaded version 3.3.72 and now it works like a charm again :)
Oh! Great!

WeaponizedApe

I don’t know if the Trinnov can decode and fully unfolded MQA. Yes you must use Analog out of the BSN to the preamp. Yes it works using the Tidal App directly. Because of the Tidal Connect feature you don’t have to use the Bluesound app. I know that opinions here about MQA are pretty low and for good reason. But Tidal gives Retired Military a 50% price break. It’s an offer I just can’t refuse. So it works for me and I like their suggestion engine. MQA just makes the music sound closer to cd quality to my old and well aged ears. You could look at a Nvidia Shield for $200. With the new Android it streams Hi Def level music over HDMI. Which will work seamlessly with your Trinnov.
Uh, MQA exceeds CD quality....

Michou

I suggest a Wiim mini (<100$) or a Wim Pro (adds Chromecast support, <150$), they both can process the MQA first unfold for further processing with an external MQA capable DAC and they support Tidal connect. I use a Wiim mini and I am satisfied. Good support, plain but effective app and frequent firmware updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom