• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which streamer for Tidal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hey all,

So I switched to Tidal for my music needs a few months ago and love it. Only recently have I realized the current way I am listening to my music has been subpar. As of right now I have a Google CCA from which I cast my Tidal music from my phone to (but I had been using Google Home to do the casting and not casting directly to the CCA through the Tidal app).

I realize that even when using the Tidal Connect cast option in the Tidal app, I am still limited to 'Hifi' playback (it does not allow 'Master'/MQA playback).

Since I only really listen to music a few times a month on my HT system, I suppose 'Hifi' quality is good enough for me. But before I settle, is there a streamer that supports Tidal MQA playback (besides Roon)?

I am in the process of purchasing a Trinnov, which I know is Roon ready, but I want to keep my phone as the main streaming source (so I don't want to invest in a Roon server).

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Yes, the Bluesound Node does. Any it also has Tidal Connect. Which means you can cast directly to the Node and get Master level sent to your AVR/Pre Amp. I love this functionality it’s just so easy to use this way. Are there better options? Sure there are but more expensive and you may or may not be able to hear the difference. It’s what I use to drive your sweet ass Amps!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, the Bluesound Node does. Any it also has Tidal Connect. Which means you can cast directly to the Node and get Master level sent to your AVR/Pre Amp. I love this functionality it’s just so easy to use this way. Are there better options? Sure there are but more expensive and you may or may not be able to hear the difference. It’s what I use to drive your sweet ass Amps!
Thanks! And from what I read, the subpar review by Amir is irrelevant if I send audio to the trinnov over optical (bypassing the built-in Bluesound DAC), correct?

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks! And from what I read, the subpar review by Amir is irrelevant if I send audio to the trinnov over optical (bypassing the built-in Bluesound DAC), correct?
If you bypass the Node’s DAC you bypass the final MQA master unfold. So if you do this and want MQA fully unfolded the off board DAC need s to be MQA compatible. The Older Node 2i is better than the new one in regards to SINAD. Maybe you can find a deal on a used one?

Here is a deal at Bluesound’s Outlet Store: https://www.bluesound.com/outlet/

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you bypass the Node’s DAC you bypass the final MQA master unfold. So if you do this and want MQA fully unfolded the off board DAC need s to be MQA compatible. The Older Node 2i is better than the new one in regards to SINAD. Maybe you can find a deal on a used one?

Here is a deal at Bluesound’s Outlet Store: https://www.bluesound.com/outlet/
I'm asking if the Trinnov can handle MQA. Otherwise I'd have to use analog out on whichever Node I use and this will send full MQA audio (if the track is a Master) to the Trinnov?

Lastly, this will work using the Tidal player (using Tidal Connect)? Googling around made it sound like MQA would only work using Bluesounds phone app

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So after a lot of research and actually finding out MQA is lossy, I am going to stick with my Google Chromecast using the optical out and just cast directly from the Tidal app. Should get me what I want I think?

AdamG

Forum Donor
I'm asking if the Trinnov can handle MQA. Otherwise I'd have to use analog out on whichever Node I use and this will send full MQA audio (if the track is a Master) to the Trinnov?

Lastly, this will work using the Tidal player (using Tidal Connect)? Googling around made it sound like MQA would only work using Bluesounds phone app
I don’t know if the Trinnov can decode and fully unfolded MQA. Yes you must use Analog out of the BSN to the preamp. Yes it works using the Tidal App directly. Because of the Tidal Connect feature you don’t have to use the Bluesound app. I know that opinions here about MQA are pretty low and for good reason. But Tidal gives Retired Military a 50% price break. It’s an offer I just can’t refuse. So it works for me and I like their suggestion engine. MQA just makes the music sound closer to cd quality to my old and well aged ears. You could look at a Nvidia Shield for $200. With the new Android it streams Hi Def level music over HDMI. Which will work seamlessly with your Trinnov.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don’t know if the Trinnov can decode and fully unfolded MQA. Yes you must use Analog out of the BSN to the preamp. Yes it works using the Tidal App directly. Because of the Tidal Connect feature you don’t have to use the Bluesound app. I know that opinions here about MQA are pretty low and for good reason. But Tidal gives Retired Military a 50% price break. It’s an offer I just can’t refuse. So it works for me and I like their suggestion engine. MQA just makes the music sound closer to cd quality to my old and well aged ears. You could look at a Nvidia Shield for $200. With the new Android it streams Hi Def level music over HDMI. Which will work seamlessly with your Trinnov.
I'm not entirely "golden ears" when it comes to music. If a song is HiFi only it doesn't sound any worse (or better) than a song listed as Mastered. Though admittedly I have never used a source that can handle MQA (majority of my listening is using Android Auto through USB to my phone in my car)

I guess I am just looking to make things as simple as possible and feel like I have fallen down an MQA rabbit hole

AdamG

Forum Donor
I'm not entirely "golden ears" when it comes to music. If a song is HiFi only it doesn't sound any worse (or better) than a song listed as Mastered. Though admittedly I have never used a source that can handle MQA (majority of my listening is using Android Auto through USB to my phone in my car)

I guess I am just looking to make things as simple as possible and feel like I have fallen down an MQA rabbit hole
Take a closer look at the shield. It’s a really great deal for a streaming solution. Does Amazon, Tidal and Quboz. Works as a video streamer as well. Netflix and the like. Here is a short read on it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nvidia-shield-on-android-11.29889/

Vince2

You may also want to consider the fire stick max. Tidal has an app on this fire stick that will play DD Atmos and it has a fair amount of music to stream. That is the only reason I still use tidal, for my primary music source I use qobuz. Problem is though that the fire stick goes to sleep after 30 min of play. There is a work around to reset the sleep timer but this is not recommended if you use an OLED display for to burn in risk.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

So I switched to Tidal for my music needs a few months ago and love it. Only recently have I realized the current way I am listening to my music has been subpar. As of right now I have a Google CCA from which I cast my Tidal music from my phone to (but I had been using Google Home to do the casting and not casting directly to the CCA through the Tidal app).

I realize that even when using the Tidal Connect cast option in the Tidal app, I am still limited to 'Hifi' playback (it does not allow 'Master'/MQA playback).

Since I only really listen to music a few times a month on my HT system, I suppose 'Hifi' quality is good enough for me. But before I settle, is there a streamer that supports Tidal MQA playback (besides Roon)?

I am in the process of purchasing a Trinnov, which I know is Roon ready, but I want to keep my phone as the main streaming source (so I don't want to invest in a Roon server).

If you want to keep your phone as the server it will be limited to lower resolution (CD quality) except when you use the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

The adapter would allow you to connect to a USB port on a DAC that supports MQA with high resolution playback. However, if you don't play much music with your system why not stay with the CD quality Airplay supports? It's possible you may not notice a big difference either way. You might also consider Qobuz as MQA is the fake road to the promise land. :D

Peterinvan

If you dont need wireless or full MQA:

Tidal app > iPad Pro > Cayin RU6 > Focal Elegias (fenestrated pads).

Sweet :)

MLaranjeiras

Sharing my impressions about the audio sources using Tidal, from best to worst. Remembering that everything goes to the Sansui AU X911DG integrated amplifier:

1. Mac/Mini+DAC MQA + Wireworld Eclipse 7 RCA + USB printer cable - Better sound, no gaps between songs;
  2. Oppo BDP 105 + mconnect + Wireworld Equinox 8 - Same in terms of sound, with a small perception of intervals. Being FLAC 48/24 and not MQA 192/24 does not affect anything in terms of quality, IMO;
  3. Pioneer + mconnect + Wireworld Eclipse 7 - After the EQ on the receiver, it is now very good. There is a difference in sound for the Oppo, but not that it is inferior;
  4. External Chromecast - The quality drops and the rate doesn't go beyond 48kHz, I think 16 bit;
  5. Chromecast audio on Pioneer - Bad sound. Everything drops to 44.1/16. Muddy sound compared with the three first sources;
  6. Pioneer resident Tidal - Worst of all. Everything drops to 44.1/16. It is a hard fight with number 5.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I use a few year old gaming laptop with a topping DAC. Roon with Tidal and Qobuz running.

The benefit of this setup is being able to work with Dirac , audiolense, accurate. Minidsp and other audio tools while being relatively cost effective. I control everything in roon on my phone or iPad.

Thanks for bringing cost effective amps to the US, happy to help get you running if you would like more details

MLaranjeiras

I use a few year old gaming laptop with a topping DAC. Roon with Tidal and Qobuz running.

The benefit of this setup is being able to work with Dirac , audiolense, accurate. Minidsp and other audio tools while being relatively cost effective. I control everything in roon on my phone or iPad.

Thanks for bringing cost effective amps to the US, happy to help get you running if you would like more details
US$ 5,99 mconnect app works here like a breeze for Tidal and other music services. I finds my Oppo BDP 105 in the network upnp and that is all. For Mac Mini, an usb keyboard works just fine.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MLaranjeiras

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We having a big discussion in a group right now about measurements vs listening sensations vs cost vs personal taste etc. Sometimes a gear does not get good measurements and pleases its owner or get good reviews on other evaluation platforms. Only God knows. https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-node-2021
They call it a budget streamer at $550.00. A RPI, case, power supply is a budget streamer that's not broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom