• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which SpeakON connection type?

Martini

Forum Donor
Which SpeakON connector would provide the better connector to wire method? I'm looking at the NLT4FXX-BAG, which is a full metal housing and uses solder cup connection and allows up to 10-awg wire or the NL2(or 4)FX, which uses the screw clamps. I know the screw clamp models are easier to assemble and provide some mechanical connections, but it's probably not as good as a proper crimp connection and doesn't do much to seal the conductor. Soldering can provide a secure connection, but lacking the mechanical connection may raise the resistance level a little. Plus, heating such large gauge wire quickly can be difficult. Thoughts on what would be the better method? Cable will likely be Canera 4s11.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which SpeakON connector would provide the better connector to wire method? I'm looking at the NLT4FXX-BAG, which is a full metal housing and uses solder cup connection and allows up to 10-awg wire or the NL2(or 4)FX, which uses the screw clamps. I know the screw clamp models are easier to assemble and provide some mechanical connections, but it's probably not as good as a proper crimp connection and doesn't do much to seal the conductor. Soldering can provide a secure connection, but lacking the mechanical connection may raise the resistance level a little. Plus, heating such large gauge wire quickly can be difficult. Thoughts on what would be the better method? Cable will likely be Canera 4s11.
Solder is long term better. It will not corrode, oxidize or come loose.

Jasperous

I’ve been looking at the same issue as well. I bought the plastic NL2 but I’m not happy with it

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I went with the plastic NL4FX and they have been fine. Assembly was super easy, and the connections are pretty tight. And it will be easy to pull them apart and deoxidize or reterminate at some point down the road.

carbidetooth

I've used the plastic SpeakOn NL FX connectors successfully several times, but I suspect there's something that many don't know about how they clamp. The connection screws are #1 Pozidriv and, no, I didn't misspell that. Something that's not in many people's tool arsenal. Most would look at it and assume #1 Phillips screwdriver would work. Although close, the radial marks on screw heads identify them as Pozidriv and they are not really interchangeable with Phillips. They also have a slot which is a nod to dinosaurs, but that's a personal bias :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Solder is long term better. It will not corrode, oxidize or come loose.

Sadly it does corrode, oxidise and becomes brittle, reacts with various metals and if Pb Free solder is used, the situation is even worse.

I like the screw on-Speakons and they can be even better if you use copper ferrules crimped to the speaker cable prior to inserting them into the terminals.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Sadly it does corrode, oxidise and becomes brittle, reacts with various metals and if Pb Free solder is used, the situation is even worse.

I like the screw on-Speakons and they can be even better if you use copper ferrules crimped to the speaker cable prior to inserting them into the terminals.
I typically use Cardas Eutectic or WBT-silver solder. The Cardas wicks better.

I like the idea of using the copper ferrules! I'll have to see if either of the 2 sizes I have fit well. Particularly, as the solder cup SpeakONs are back-ordered the few places I've checked. I've got one set of cable to make and one set I need to re-terminate an end. The latter set is already terminated with the solder-cup type on one end, so would prefer to match the connectors.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This. Soldering has no point with Speakons, and precludes reuse of the connector. Why waste the time?

Just buy the PZ1 screwdriver or bit and use the normal connectors.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
This. Soldering has no point with Speakons, and precludes reuse of the connector. Why waste the time?

Just buy the PZ1 screwdriver or bit and use the normal connectors.
Already have a PZ1 screwdriver. I'm not convinced the screw-clamp connection is the superior connection. A proper crimp with a ratcheting or hydraulic crimper would be best, but not an option here. The screw connection is fast and makes for quick repair in the field, but I'm not sure it's superior to soldering over the long haul.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Already have a PZ1 screwdriver. I'm not convinced the screw-clamp connection is the superior connection. A proper crimp with a ratcheting or hydraulic crimper would be best, but not an option here. The screw connection is fast and makes for quick repair in the field, but I'm not sure it's superior to soldering over the long haul.
Over the long haul we’re fertilizer, and petty overthinking will only hasten the start of that.

Over a reasonable lifespan for an audio installation the normal way of using a normal Speakon works just fine.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Ferrules over stranded wire greatly reduce the contact resistance, provide a very neat termination where all the strands are compressed and there is no opportunity for loose or stray strands to 'miss' or be squeezed away from the screw. Oxidation is massively minimized, which becomes even more important if you live anywhere near the sea.

They cost so little and work so well, I use them for all stranded to screw fit terminals. The use of ferrules for stranded to screw terminal, is also EU mandated if the product is to wear a CE label. Not yet in the US, but it will come.

They really are fabulous when constructing thick speaker wire to screw banana plugs.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Over the long haul we’re fertilizer, and petty overthinking will only hasten the start of that.

Over a reasonable lifespan for an audio installation the normal way of using a normal Speakon works just fine.
Possibly :). I've got a car that I track and race when I can. Since it's a dangerous sport, I focus a good bit on small details. That's rubbed off into many things.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Ferrules over stranded wire greatly reduce the contact resistance, provide a very neat termination where all the strands are compressed and there is no opportunity for loose or stray strands to 'miss' or be squeezed away from the screw. Oxidation is massively minimized, which becomes even more important if you live anywhere near the sea.

They cost so little and work so well, I use them for all stranded to screw fit terminals. The use of ferrules for stranded to screw terminal, is also EU mandated if the product is to wear a CE label. Not yet in the US, but it will come.

They really are fabulous when constructing thick speaker wire to screw banana plugs.

Agree.
When you use them with SpeakONs, do you remove the sleeve insert, so the screw directly contacts the ferrule?
I've got banana plugs going on the other end, so may give them a though there too. Not sure the banana design will allow much clamping force, though.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When you use them with SpeakONs, do you remove the sleeve insert, so the screw directly contacts the ferrule?

Use ferrules like these for bananas or speakons:

IMG_0861.jpg

Reactions: MSL

MSL

I can tell you that soldering 12 awg is hell and something I will not do again. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of SpeakON

IMG_0016.jpeg

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Use ferrules like these for bananas or speakons:
Are those silver or flashed copper? Good assortment, more than I'd need... Do you know of a good source?

MSL

Are those silver or flashed copper? Good assortment, more than I'd need... Do you know of a good source?
I can guarantee it's not silver...and when it comes to a question like that, it starts to get a little hopeless. Sorry!

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
I can guarantee it's not silver...and when it comes to a question like that, it starts to get a little hopeless. Sorry!
I was just asking because that is what it looks like. And, silver is not a bad thing, there is reason it is used in many contacts and circuit boards, chip design throughout many industries. I wouldn't seek it out for sonic benefits, though.

MSL

I was just asking because that is what it looks like. And, silver is not a bad thing, there is reason it is used in many contacts and circuit boards, chip design throughout many industries. I wouldn't seek it out for sonic benefits, though.
Irrelevant question? You might as well ask if they are encrusted with diamonds. Of course they are copper or a percentage of them are (10%). I doubt they are pure copper

Top Bottom