• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers to buy to make my system better ?

tuga

Major Contributor
Large Cerwin Vegas?

Digby

Major Contributor
If you don't mind, how much did you pay in total? (with shipping). I'd love to see some pictures once it is all set up.

Despite what people say, I think there really is something to big, sorry, BIG speakers that can't be reproduced with small speakers. I would not want these JBLs in my living room, but I think they will do dynamic/lively/visceral sound better than the JBL 708P.

One place you might have heard them already was at a cinema, a lot of cinemas use similar JBL speakers.

I think most people cannot imagine having such large speakers in their homes (I am one of those people), so they rule them out entirely.

My recommendation, if somebody wanted a speaker a little bit smaller, but with the same BIG speaker quality would be something like the Genelec 1237A/1238A.

OP
S

Sieniek

If you don't mind, how much did you pay in total? (with shipping). I'd love to see some pictures once it is all set up.

Despite what people say, I think there really is something to big, sorry, BIG speakers that can't be reproduced with small speakers. I would not want these JBLs in my living room, but I think they will do dynamic/lively/visceral sound better than the JBL 708P.

One place you might have heard them already was at a cinema, a lot of cinemas use similar JBL speakers.

I think most people cannot imagine having such large speakers in their homes (I am one of those people), so they rule them out entirely.

My recommendation, if somebody wanted a speaker a little bit smaller, but with the same BIG speaker quality would be something like the Genelec 1237A/1238A.
I will definitely post some pictures once everything will be ready. My room isn’t perfect as it is quite narrow but at least it is 7 meters long so at least the length is quite ok I believe.

I have paid £2736 for a pair brand new. It is more than you would pay in USA but still the cheapest I have found in EU and in UK by a mile. And that’s the price after heavy discount already as the salesman made it cheaper for me. I need to collect them by myself so on top of it I will pay for fuel and drive to collect them in person.

I think you’re right about big speakers in some way. I have choose them because I would like to have maximum potential in output throughout the whole frequency response. I am using Dirac Live at the moment and have two subwoofers as well. Together with subs and calibration tool I will try to make this system a complete system where I am not limited by speakers in any way.

I have read about these JBL’s a lot and I am already on 280 page on avsforum in a topic about these loudspeakers. I am reading and I am really impressed by the overall reviews and opinions about these. They seem like a real deal (if you have space for them and the way they look isn’t a big factor for you).
I would like to admit that there is a lot of amazing informations and a lot of technical as well. Especially @notnyt, @mitchco and other users who made this topic really rich in all the details which can help to make a choice to buy them or not even if you didn’t listened to them never before. Especially big thanks to @mitchco who provide me with some extra details about these JBL’s and his very technical and detailed posts on avsforum about these. Thanks to him in a future I will try to go active with these and use Audiolense to make a proper time alignment with these JBL’s. I do not know how to use Audiolense yet but it looks like I need to learn that IF better imaging and more three dimensional sound is to earn…

steve59

Major Contributor
If you can try this, A local dealer would demo their big speakers in a long narrow room by placing the speakers across the long wall firing across the short span and still place them a few feet into the room. Looks stupid I know, but every pair they demoed sounded amazing with room locked bass. It might be worth trying just to find how well they can perform before settling.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can try this, A local dealer would demo their big speakers in a long narrow room by placing the speakers across the long wall firing across the short span and still place them a few feet into the room. Looks stupid I know, but every pair they demoed sounded amazing with room locked bass. It might be worth trying just to find how well they can perform before settling.
The rear reflections are terrible though.

Digby

Major Contributor
I wonder how @Sieniek is getting on. Dec 28th was his last post, I hope the JBLs didn't fall and crush him :oops:.

steve59

Major Contributor
The rear reflections are terrible though.
Even though the chair was against a glass wall reflections weren't an issue when sitting, I don't have an explanation.

OP
S

Sieniek

I wonder how @Sieniek is getting on. Dec 28th was his last post, I hope the JBLs didn't fall and crush him :oops:.
Haha thankfully I'm still alive JBL 4722N are here with me and together with upgraded 2452h-sl CD's. Overall I'm very happy with them because for the money they are excellent and especially the possibilities with editing the frequency response with these loudspeakers are huge because no matter what I would like to edit from around 40hz upward the software will approve and the speakers will play it. With Open Baffle speakers it is so much different, at least with the ones I have.

Overall I like both, JBL's and open baffle speakers. It looks like there is no perfect speaker. For example I like the dipole effect of open baffle speakers and I like this effortless sound coming from JBL's. It's not like you can say which ones are better, they are just different.

I am trying to buy some multichannel dac but no success for months. I have tried to buy Motu MK5 Ultra lite but out of stock all the time.

Is there any other option for multichannel dac out there ? Or any coming out soon ?
I would like to buy it and use it for tweeters, full rangers, woofers and subs so 8 channels needed at the minimum. Looking to use it with my open baffle speakers and experiment with JBL'S at some point as well.

I have heard that Topping is gonna release some multichannel dac in the near future but I cannot find any informations about it.

Do you have any advice about multichannel dac maybe ?

Top Bottom