• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

tuga

Major Contributor
I was reading a piece about BIS Records.

At one point, the equipment is described and photos of the studios are shown. Interestingly all speakers are passives.

WryZ5Ey.jpg

Studio 1 - B&W 802 Diamond ... https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-802d-loudspeaker-measurements

OjUzjkZ.jpg

Studio 2 - Quad ESL63 ... https://www.stereophile.com/content/quad-esl-63-loudspeaker-measurements

HZVxe2f.jpg

Studio3 - B&W 801 Matrix ... https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-matrix-801-series-2-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:
OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
I was reading a piece about BIS Records.

At one point, the equipment is described and photos of the studios are shown. Interestingly all speakers are passives.

WryZ5Ey.jpg

Studio 1 - B&W 802 Diamond ... https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-802d-loudspeaker-measurements

B&W wall-to-wall, it seems. (CD booklets from Decca and other classical labels used to say something like "Recorded using B&W loudspeakers.")

Looking at the BIS Studio 1 front wall with the inset TV monitor (?), I wonder if the front wall is covered with thick fiberglass absorbers, as the angled sides of the opening may suggest.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes indeed. The main reason I got my 801s (mine are the older ones with sealed bass) was that I'd heard them first at Danmarks Radio, then at Radio France where they were used for predominantly classical music broadcasting. The man I bought mine from told me they were originally from Decca Studios, but I have no proof of that.

Tony Faulkner used a pair of specially reinforced Quad ELS63s for his field recording monitoring.

They don't have to be loud, but they do have to be clean.

All those photos above seem to be post-production (i.e. mixing) rather than recording studios. I was particularly taken with the bank of Studer tape machine in Studio 2 above. Presumably for digitising and/or remastering old recordings I can can't see anyone recording new material on tape.

S.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
For the headphone users here: the Emil Berliner Studios use
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD 600, AKG K 501 [!]
  • Lake People headphone amplifier

That's the subject for another topic.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their success lies on their long-term consistency, and results being translated across facilities, so while the recording techniques are getting more fancy ad all over the place, they won't move a butt, otherwise they couldn't work.

So unlike film/broadcast industry, it's not about performance, it's more about consistency and stable environments. That's how I understand.

Willem

Major Contributor
Philips used specially reinforced Quad esl 63s. Sony apparently Harbeth M40. British Library music conservation dept Harbeth M30.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Philips used specially reinforced Quad esl 63s. Sony apparently Harbeth M40. British Library music conservation dept Harbeth M30.

I read on another forum that the BBC replaced its Harbeth monitors with ATC monitors a few years ago.

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't know about the BBC but they are managed by bean counters rather than engineers or program makers these days.
The Harbeth M40 is a large speaker able to handle big power and capable of high spl.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about the BBC but they are managed by bean counters

LOL! I did not know that calling accountants "bean-counters" was a cross-cultural slang phrase - or did you live in the U.S. for a good long while?

Top Bottom