• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Speakers Are Know To Have The Best Spinorama Measurements?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to get these in the U.S.?
It is. They have no dealer over here, but if you send them a bank draft, they will send you a speaker system plus whatever accessories you order. I haven't done it, at least not yet, but I have been in communication with them about the process.

amper42

Major Contributor
To some extent yes, but mid/upper bass (100-500hz) still requires a large amount of energy and even a mid-sized(eg 8") woofer can show limitations there, let alone a small 5" or 6.5" one. All you have to do is look at 96dB distortion for M105 and 328Be, the M105 is very unhappy at 100-500hz and the 328 barely notices it is playing anything. For farfield listening a single, small woofer is never going to give you that real mid-bass slam, especially at 3-4m. And yes, 96dB is relevant -- even at an average of 77dB at listening position, I have some material that peaks as high as 107dB.

I have the Revel F328Be and the Revel M105. No matter how many subs you add, the M105 doesn't slightly compare with the Revel F328Be. They are as different as night and day. Don't get to caught up in the ASR scores. Bookshelves, especially with a 5.25" woofer can't compete with the F328Be. Scores can be misleading if you don't apply basic logic with them.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep us updated...
Just spent a whole lot on a variety of things. I'm not looking to replace my Metas+SB2000+Dirac 3_Purifi for at least for a while. Would have to be really blown away. Plus the lack of U.S. dealer support for such a complex product (an active speaker with all that DSP) gives me cold feet at least for the present.

Still interested, though.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Revel F328Be and the Revel M105. No matter how many subs you add, the M105 doesn't slightly compare with the Revel F328Be. They are as different as night and day. Don't get to caught up in the ASR scores. Bookshelves, especially with a 5.25" woofer can't compete with the F328Be. Scores can be misleading if you don't apply basic logic with them.
I think there are holes in the preference score, with dynamic range, peak volume attainable, distortion levels at specific volumes, sound power directivity, and how sound waves propagate contingent on the size of the aperture from which they are emitted, being my principal reservations.

Under the Harman Preference scoring system Neumann KH80's are running neck and neck with Salon 2's on the preference scores, and I'm certain that can not possibly be right.

I know there are undoubtedly instances where something like a KH80 could be preferable to a much larger but badly designed speaker, but that's hardly the case with the big Revel's (Salon 2, Studio 2, F228be, and F328be). Maybe in a closet, the KH80's might give one of them a run for their money, but not in a normal listening environment.

Maybe it's time for Harman to revisit the model.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Under the Harman Preference scoring system Neumann KH80's are running neck and neck with Salon 2's on the preference scores, and I'm certain that can not possibly be right.
Actually it can be right, as long as you use those speakers like they're supposed to be used - nearfield and moderate volume

Presently42

Last edited:
Top Bottom