• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Speakers Are Know To Have The Best Spinorama Measurements?

prerich

Ofcourse I think it's from our member @pierre

Keep in mind that these scores are all WITHOUT subwoofers, something like KEF R3 with subwoofer would be 8.2/10 which is higher than the IL60.
Well....I actually looked at the scores tab....with sub the Kef R3 scored an 8.2.....the IL60 8.7.....and with Sub and EQ the Kef R3 tied with the IL60 at 8.9
but that's crazy from 20+ year old speakers....impressive. It's also impressive that with EQ, sub and a smaller package - the Kef R3 is right up there with the IL60 which is about 46 inches tall and weighs a bit more! Impressive on both counts indeed!

prerich

P.S. Genelec and Neumann with subs and eq .......that's the highest point....but still....a 20+ year old speaker.....man!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well....I actually looked at the scores tab....with sub the Kef R3 scored an 8.2.....the IL60 8.7.....and with Sub and EQ the Kef R3 tied with the IL60 at 8.9
but that's crazy from 20+ year old speakers....impressive. It's also impressive that with EQ, sub and a smaller package - the Kef R3 is right up there with the IL60 which is about 46 inches tall and weighs a bit more! Impressive on both counts indeed!

it's a little strange since the IL60 is pretty much flat to 20Hz, I don't know what could possibly increase the score in this case? @pierre

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
P.S. Genelec and Neumann with subs and eq .......that's the highest point....but still....a 20+ year old speaker.....man!

i really would never endorse EQing state of the art designs like the 8341A, that's just crazy. 8.5/10 is already amazing.

I wouldn't mind EQing the KEF R3 to 8.9, since it's a passive speaker and hasn't been EQed already.

Ata

Forum Donor
Oh man I would have loved to have had you compare eq'd R3 to the genelec. I just order a pair of R3s at an unbelievably low price, even though I love my current towers. Would have loved to hear a controlled directivity speaker with good dsp. Always looking out for a poor man's D&D 8C...

How are you enjoying the R3s? I have recently obtained a pair of LS50 Metas and having fun and pleasure learning about speaker measurements and EQing. These seem to be quite comparable above around 100Hz, thus they do very well with a sub.

Ata

Forum Donor
Dear experts,:)
Would you kindly consider a slight deviation from the specified by the OP subject:
Which passive sensitive (let us say, over 92 dB) speakers are known to have the best spinorama measurements?;)
Please chime in!:)

AFAIK going much above 90 something dB while maintaining good spinoramas and preference scores becomes very hard, which means that compromises may have to be made, including cost. There is no clear correlation between sensitivity and preference scores -- some good speakers, like my KEF LS50 Meta, have very low sensitivity while presenting little challenge to well designed AV Receivers operating within their comfort region.

prerich

AFAIK going much above 90 something dB while maintaining good spinoramas and preference scores becomes very hard, which means that compromises may have to be made, including cost. There is no clear correlation between sensitivity and preference scores -- some good speakers, like my KEF LS50 Meta, have very low sensitivity while presenting little challenge to well designed AV Receivers operating within their comfort region.
That would be the JBL M2 ... I don't know many others that go that high. I wish Harman would have done spins on the Infinity P-FR as they have superb measurements and also a very high sensitivity rating (96db). I've even messaged Andrew Jones to see if he could recreate such a beast at Elac (as he had his hands in the Infinity P-FR).

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we have a scatterplot of Spinorama scores vs. Price yet?

jonfitch

The highest spin scores are pulled from marketing materials directly from these companies so a grain of salt needs to be taken when assessing these. The graphs may be smoothed.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks - this indicates that paying $$ or $$$ gives you a good score, but that $$ is not needed to get a good score.

Ata

Forum Donor

This has improved a lot since the last time I looked at it -- thanks to whoever has put the effort! Very useful.

Some of the raw data may need to be screened, e.g.

- I can't see how Focal Arias would be 1K/speaker, basically same as KEF R3, when they sell for half the price in my and other countries.
- Esprit Antal EZ has a monster 11.0 preference score with sub o_O

prerich

This has improved a lot since the last time I looked at it -- thanks to whoever has put the effort! Very useful.

Some of the raw data may need to be screened, e.g.

- I can't see how Focal Arias would be 1K/speaker, basically same as KEF R3, when they sell for half the price in my and other countries.
- Esprit Antal EZ has a monster 11.0 preference score with sub o_O
We're not looking at the same data for the Espirit Antal EZ- I saw a score of 5.5 with sub (did you multiply that times two 5.5 for each speaker ?)

Ata

Forum Donor
We're not looking at the same data for the Espirit Antal EZ- I saw a score of 5.5 with sub (did you multiply that times two 5.5 for each speaker ?)

I was able to reproduce, definitely a glitch of some sort when hovering over the blue triangle with my settings:

Snip20210805_5.png

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a friendly reminder, even preference scores derived mathematically from spin charts don’t correlate as well with ACTUAL listener preferences in blinded conditions as well as people may think.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we have a scatterplot of Spinorama scores vs. Price yet?
It might be an interesting experiment to plot $ vs pref score (w/sub) for Revel speakers only. I would predict that the correlation is poor or only weakly positive.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why not just do it rather than 'predict'

Ata

Forum Donor
Are you volunteering? :)

I am volunteering. For preference score vs price, for Revel there is almost linear, and quite steep, relationship between score and price, starting from the relatively inexpensive M105s/M106:

Snip20210805_6.jpg

Interestingly, this relationship breaks when looking at preference scores with subwoofer:

Snip20210805_7.png

where M105/M106 dominate the scores. What does it mean? One interpretation would be that the primary advantage of big, expensive floorstanders is LF extension, take that away and well designed bookshelves get to shine (assuming an ideal sub integration, of course).

Top Bottom