• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Speakers Are Know To Have The Best Spinorama Measurements?

Siwel

Forum Donor
^No doubt I've missed a number of early contributors to the concept. I recall the Brauns (as a new line if not specific models of the moment) and the interest they riled up at the time.

tuga

Major Contributor
As far as I know there are no published measurements of the TAD Reference One.

I've found more measurements of the Reference One.

OCHfbU8.jpg

peXlGLn.jpg

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The R3 is getting a real ass kicking here. Then again, it might be fair to compare them to S400's but not 8351's which cost $8k per pair.

tuga

Major Contributor
The Salon2s for the sake of comparison:

dmvCqRg.png

muad

This is a mystery to me as well. I am probably the one who posted the blind comparison of the R3 to the 2EX mentioned in your list, though the credit of the golden ears test subject goes to my wife (though we swapped, and my blind listening results also agreed with few exceptions, all of which tilted more in the 2EX’s favor).

What makes this more confusing is that now I own the Genelec 8351B, and the experience is completely different than the R3 in that they sound absolutely stunning out of the box even with no room correction (in the same room with average acoustics that I compared the R3 vs 2EX), whereas the R3 sounded great and was clearly technically excellent, but just lacked “something” - whatever that is - to make me enjoy them as much as other speakers.

Initially, I and others around here and AVS forum considered the hypothesis that the Sierra 2EX’s ultra wide treble dispersion accounted for the preference. It certainly did lend some weight to the 2EX in terms of what we wanted for this room (equal and consistent sound throughout the room with just a stereo pair and sub), and because it creates a more “surround” effect inherently. But the idea that horizontal dispersion alone lead to the subjective preference victory of the 2EX no longer can be true, given that I’ve now listened to the Genelec 8351B in that room, and it absolutely dominates every other speaker I have aside from the Neumann KH310 (which it beats by a easily perceivable margin, but not as extreme as vs my passive speakers). The 8351B has a bit narrower horizontal dispersion than the KH310, and still beats them. It is narrower than the Revel F206, and it utterly dominates them (and so does the KH310).

So I am starting to think that these extreme superior performance of my active speakers over my passives may be mostly explained due to how incredibly flat their frequency response is across the entire range. In contrast, most speakers — including the KEF R3 have a big midbass hump, and various FR flaws in the mids and treble that simply do not exists at all in my active speakers.

Therefore, another theory for why the R3 tends not to impress is due to its somewhat shallow (just a few db) but quite broad midrange dip and treble hump (as well as bass hump), which could equivalently be described as recessed mids and upper treble.

Recessed mids and upper treble does seem to explain my subjective impression of the R3’s flaws. And, I quickly tried EQing my 8351B to act similarly and it definitely did create a boring almost muted/muffled sound that reminds me slightly of what I found boring of the R3’s sound.

So it’s quite possible that wide bandwidth FR flaws in the R3 (which should be quite fixable with DSP) explain why it loses in these comparisons. But I can’t know for sure as I returned the R3. I kind of wish I kept it so I could compare an EQ’ed R3 against my 8351B’s now, but as it is I already have too many speakers and need to start selling some :)
Oh man I would have loved to have had you compare eq'd R3 to the genelec. I just order a pair of R3s at an unbelievably low price, even though I love my current towers. Would have loved to hear a controlled directivity speaker with good dsp. Always looking out for a poor man's D&D 8C...

TheInquiring

Dear experts,:)
Would you kindly consider a slight deviation from the specified by the OP subject:
Which passive sensitive (let us say, over 92 dB) speakers are known to have the best spinorama measurements?;)
Please chime in!:)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you kindly consider a slight deviation from the specified by the OP subject:
Which passive sensitive (let us say, over 92 dB) speakers are known to have the best spinorama measurements?;)

If you go to the speaker index link, go to the speaker attribute tab. Then set speaker type to "passive" and x axis to sensitivity. you can find which score the best by sensitivity of what has been tested on the site.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

There is nothing on this site that has scored well over 89.5db 1w/1m

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Speakers with sensitivity that high are going to require large/multiple woofers, so not many have been measured on this site due to simple logistics of shipping and handling 100+ pound floorstanders.

That said, the Revel 328Be measured at 91.2dB sensitivity(highest so far, I think). JBL 4367 would be another contender, specced at 94dB and JBL/Revel usually give you a realistic spec, unlike, say, Klipsch or Tekton. Though, the 4367 seem to be markedly worse than the active version so I actually have no idea why you wouldn't just buy the M2.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
A lot of it also depends on the brand.

I wouldn't be as worried about JBL or Genelec.

D&D or Kii though...
JBL and sister brands design speakers with Spinorama. Published or not. I suspect less expensive models lack published measurements to protect margins for Revel and high-end JBL. Dr. Toole let the cat out of the bag with his Infinity recommendation years ago. Without Amir the viel would continue to obscure. Thank goodness Google is not censoring his measurements. If Amir has tested, Google will reveal, so far.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers with sensitivity that high are going to require large/multiple woofers, so not many have been measured on this site due to simple logistics of shipping and handling 100+ pound floorstanders.

That said, the Revel 328Be measured at 91.2dB sensitivity(highest so far, I think). JBL 4367 would be another contender, specced at 94dB and JBL/Revel usually give you a realistic spec, unlike, say, Klipsch or Tekton. Though, the 4367 seem to be markedly worse than the active version so I actually have no idea why you wouldn't just buy the M2.

I followed your final link, and for some odd reason I read the whole thread. What a psychodrama! You can't make that stuff up. Thanks.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I followed your final link, and for some odd reason I read the whole thread. What a psychodrama! You can't make that stuff up. Thanks.

Lol I didn't even realize what a mess of a thread it was, I only linked it because it had spins for both posted on the same page.

TheInquiring

The JTR Noesis 212RT has a 98 dB sensitivity and measures extremely well
The JTR Noesis 212RT are way too large for my modest listening room of about 24' x 12' x 8', I am afraid... Could you please give me your opinion on the JTR Noesis 210RT vs. the 212RT's? I was unable to find any measurements published on the 210RT's, unfortunately enough... And, most importantly, are the JTR Noesis 210RT good for music (classical symphonic and organ, grand piano, opera, vocal jazz, with occasional Pink Floyd and Chicago sessions...)?;)
... the 4367 seem to be markedly worse than the active version ...
I was thinking of the 4367, but now I need to evaluate the M2's which are significantly different... They appear to be very capable performers.:)
JBL and sister brands design speakers with Spinorama. Published or not.
This is definitely a prerequisite for high fidelity sound. What would be your personal recommendation for JBL or Revel speakers?;)

Any other full range sensitive passive speakers I should consider, please? I would prefer to stay below 15K...;)

I see even the JTR Noesis 212RT (35 Hz at -3 dB) and the JBL 4367 (30 Hz at -6 dB) would benefit from a pair of quality subs... Would you recommend me to explore stand-mounts + dual sub setup for my music-only stereo system? I used to believe subs are not allowed... Silly, I know...:facepalm:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
The JTR Noesis 212RT are way too large for my modest listening room of about 24' x 12' x 8', I am afraid... Could you please give me your opinion on the JTR Noesis 210RT vs. the 212RT's? I was unable to find any measurements published on the 210RT's, unfortunately enough... And, most importantly, are the JTR Noesis 210RT good for music (classical symphonic and organ, grand piano, opera, vocal jazz, with occasional Pink Floyd and Chicago sessions...)?;)

I was thinking of the 4367, but now I need to evaluate the M2's which are significantly different... They appear to be very capable performers.:)

This is definitely a prerequisite for high fidelity sound. What would be your personal recommendation for JBL or Revel speakers?;)

Any other full range sensitive passive speakers I should consider, please? I would prefer to stay below 15K...;)

I see even the JTR Noesis 212RT (35 Hz at -3 dB) and the JBL 4367 (30 Hz at -6 dB) would benefit from a pair of quality subs... Would you recommend me to explore stand-mounts + dual sub setup for my music-only stereo system? I used to believe subs are not allowed... Silly, I know...:facepalm:

In your price range I would go for Revel F208 coupled with Revel Subwoofers. I know Revel subs have little or no reviews. Distortion is low with their subs. If you insist on their puppies, M106.

prerich

Have any of you seen this site https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/ ? It actually places the Infinity IL60 at the top of the heap, against some very heavy hitters I might add (Revel, Neumann, Kef, and Genelec). I've always known that the IL60 was a special speaker, but I was shocked when I saw this.....makes me say as far as speakers go ....I might be finished (unless I want to grab a pair of IL60's).

Top Bottom