• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revival Audio ATALANTE 5

Last edited:

AM88

Yamaha NS-5000
I heard these in a Yamaha showroom in Singapore when they first came out being driven by their top tier amp and cd player at the time. I then went to a pro audio shop and listened to some PSI and Amphion monitors. They were all quite good and comparable IMO.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought these Mission LX-3 MKII and think they are reasonable. What i like:

* the price is 450€ a pair
* they really look nice i think, modern and different, high WAF
* they have some volume and are vented, bass is far more substantial than the ATCs below
* made by the same guys that made the Wharfedale 12.2 i think

PXL_20230427_103611906.jpg

The manufacturers specs:
PXL_20230427_100839477.jpg

PXL_20230427_100611076.jpg

PXL_20230427_100452691.jpg

Edit: Amir said he has them in the pipeline already.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard these in a Yamaha showroom in Singapore when they first came out being driven by their top tier amp and cd player at the time. I then went to a pro audio shop and listened to some PSI and Amphion monitors. They were all quite good and comparable IMO.

Yes, I too rather intensively subjectively auditioned NS-5000 as shared in my post here on the thread "Yamaha NS-5000".
I (we) also know that several objective measurement reports were already available for NS-5000.

Nevertheless, I really would like to see intensive measurement report by @amirm; I hope you would fully agree with me! :)

Digi

Hi,
In two minds between Spendor's Classic 100 and Harbeth's M40.3 XD speakers. Can you help in identifying which is the better of the two speakers and why? For Prog Rock & Jazz music? Value for money? TIA.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,
In two minds between Spendor's Classic 100 and Harbeth's M40.3 XD speakers. Can you help in identifying which is the better of the two speakers and why? For Prog Rock & Jazz music? Value for money? TIA.
I've owned the Classic 100 original, the S100 for thirty plus years. It played all types of music, wonderfully, as far as I was concerned.

Digi

I've owned the Classic 100 original, the S100 for thirty plus years. It played all types of music, wonderfully, as far as I was concerned.
Thanks for reaching out. Any resonances heard with their thin wall cabinets? Have you compared these to Harbeth speakers?

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for reaching out. Any resonances heard with their thin wall cabinets? Have you compared these to Harbeth speakers?

Thanks for your response Digi
I can't supply any technical comments. Or any further subjective comments, beyond what I said.
I always considered they would be replaced with the Classic 100.
You will find this strange. They are covered with a curtain, in the corner of our lounge.
Now, Ascend Acoustic Sierra Lx's perform the listening duties. Also wonderfully!!!!!
For me, the Spendor's and Harbeth are now simply too expensive.
I suppose we shouldn't further derail this thread, unless you were thinking of supplying Amir with a speaker to test! :rolleyes:

hatrix

I would really love any of Tekton Design's speakers to be reviewed....

I currently own a pair of Pendragons and they are actually sitting in a storage unit currently (in between houses....). I wish I had an easy way to ship them in for amir to test and review but seeing as they are 100lbs each, it would cost me quite a bit.

isostasy

Fostex PM0.4, I thought amir had one in for review when he reviewed the smaller PM0.3 but maybe never got round to measuring?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have noticed that we don't have the Yamaha NS-10 or NS-10M data yet.
If someone has them in the US, but lacks funds to send them to Seattle, i can pay for shipping there and back.
63129c6c-dabb-41b7-8520-001522f8079a

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would really love any of Tekton Design's speakers to be reviewed....
There was one at the Pacific Audio Show last month. The designer/founder was there. I almost walked up to him to ask for a review sample. But then listened to it and its issues were so apparent that I knew it would measure poorly. So didn't ask.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The (preliminary) willingness is there with Genelec to get it tested. The challenge is the weight and logistics of handling that. I guess if we wanted it tested bad enough, we could arrange for some kind of moving company to show up and unpack and put it on Klippel and then do the reverse to pack and return it. I would think this costs say, $700.

Top Bottom