• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gradient 1.4, from that other speaker company from Finland.

284-superlarge_default.jpg

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is very easy for me. I have the "Z extension" for my Klippel NFS that allows measurement of speaker to 6+ feet. I also have an assisted lift to get speakers on it although it is still a two person job for tall and heavy speakers.
DId you ever try putting your friend's Snell XA References on your stand? I saw them mentioned in a thread here somewhere. Would they fit? If they live near you would be interesting to hear how they do even though there were probably only 10 or 20 pairs ever sold. That kind of linear symmetrical design shows up in a fair number of other speakers including the Statement II kit speaker, the Confidence 50 and 60 from Dynaudio, and the old Dunlavy's. Of course any of those might make more sense for testing since they are all easier to obtain than the Snells, but it would be interesting to see what could be done under Smith's design (it was one of Smith's, wasn't?).

Edit: Dynaudio Confidence 60's are $50k a pair. Not many of those floating around, and certainly not going to be made available for testing most likely, haha

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you ever considered crowd funding a review (every month or every other month) and giving it away afterwards?

You're probably have a lot on your plate already, but it might be a fun way to review something you (or the community) wants reviewed and the giveaways will be fun for everyone.

I know you already buy affordable speakers frequently when they're on sale for review with your own money, but this way you might be able to cover more price ranges without much inconvenience.

I apologize if i rambled for too long lol.
Good idea, something akin to a bounty. With the number of members there are now it should be possible to raise quite a bit with relatively modest contributions.

Blew

I'd love to see a few Audio Physic speakers given the @amirm Klippel treatment. They don't get enough love here and I wonder if it's because they're German and not very common in the US? They sound excellent to my ears.

Eg:

Flak

Industry Insider
Have you ever considered crowd funding a review (every month or every other month) and giving it away afterwards?

You're probably have a lot on your plate already, but it might be a fun way to review something you (or the community) wants reviewed and the giveaways will be fun for everyone.

I know you already buy affordable speakers frequently when they're on sale for review with your own money, but this way you might be able to cover more price ranges without much inconvenience.

I apologize if i rambled for too long lol.
In my opinion, this is an excellent idea and a raffle among crowdfunders would add a lot of fun :)
A very unique approach to independent testing!
P.S. Or maybe Patreon could be an alternative for funding speaker testing and... why not, a raffle for supporters?

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see a few Audio Physic speakers given the @amirm Klippel treatment. They don't get enough love here and I wonder if it's because they're German and not very common in the US? They sound excellent to my ears.

Eg:
Its distribution is very limited in the USA - I too had interest in buying these speakers

Shiva

I dig Audio Physic speakers, Used to have a pair of their Tempo 3's.
I would like to see tested, as I was quite impressed with its sound at an audio show some years ago, the Silverline Minuet.

tga2

Adding a vote for the Klipsch RP-8000F.

Would also be interesting to see upgraded crossover and equalization-only effects

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about anything by Duevel? They are a small German company making omnidirectional speakers. I seem to remember that there is some history in Germany of developing past omnidirectional designs. I shudder to imagine how something like the Klippel would be used to measure these since so much of their listening experience relies on room interactions. Maybe you could have a stand that rotates the speaker in two axes while you measure instead of just one, but it would never be able to tell you how the speaker would sound in a typical room.

ToriCatcher

Wharfedale evo 4.2.
Many of the 4.1 problems might be solved in the 3 way design. Also interesting to see how their dome mid perform.

Reactions: TSB

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, why not to organize kind of a crowdfunding in the following way:
Everybody may put a request for a product to test.
Condition: I need to specify the purchase price.
And bid for at least, say, $20
Then, anyone who wants this product to be tested may increase the "pot" by his own bid.
When value is reached, people receive, say, a PayPal invoice, and then you purchase the good and test it.
Maybe we could optimize it if we say we go only up to 60% of the price, and then you sale the device and keep the money.

Did you try something like this ?
My experience with trying to collect money in advance of the review/work is that members are not that willing to do so. Once the results come out, they will donate but they won't "pay" for something to be reviewed. There are exceptions of course but in general, that is the sentiments.

For cheap stuff, I will buy them myself and hope membership then donates to compensate. For expensive stuff, this doesn't work and per above, can't get members to fund. So we are kind of stuck here, at the mercy of membership sending them in.

If you think otherwise, you can put the program together and see if it works.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
collect money in advance
That was not my idea.
The idea was to commit to give the money after the review (or just before the item is ordered for the review, with kind of a SLA on review delivery delay)
But I may be a dreamer...

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These .

And

muad

These .

And

Not sure if you've seen this.

ferrellms

First, thanks ASR and our host for pushing toward more objective and deep analysis of audio products.
Like @amirm, @hardisj (Erin) has his own Klippel NFS, and can deliver thorough speaker review like the Dutch&Dutch 8C review.
By chance, he is open to the idea of reviewing a speaker selected (and provided) by the community.
This means we have an opportunity to choose the next loudspeaker to get the full Erin's treatment, which is immense.
Keep in mind that :
- this is Erin's hobby. He doesn't have to do anything. He already has a lot of things to test on his own.
While he's willing to do this now, he's not commited to any contract, and can dismiss his offer.
His time is limited, so his timeline will be ours. The timeline will be an estimation and delay could well happen.
- it must not cost him anything nor he has to be involved in the providing step. We have to find a way to provide him the speaker, and ship it back wherever afterwards.

Also, in order to be realistic :
- since his cool reviewing toy is Klippel NFS (Near-Field Scanner), the speaker must comply with the NFS limits and be humanly manageable by 1, maybe 2 persons (if Erin can/wants to be helped).
- since Erin is in the US, the speaker must be findable/shippable to US without hassle.
- since the speaker must be provided by the community, it must be a speaker :
* we can convince a manufacturer to have reviewed (some already are)
* we can find someone who has one and agrees to ship it to Erin, either for free or for a compensation
* we can find someone who wants to buy one and agrees to ship it to Erin, either for free or for a compensation
Potential compensation and shipping costs must be gathered/handled by the community if not done by owner/manufacturer.

It this sounds interesting to you, here's how it could run :
- people list a few speakers here. Some are well known, some may not be. It could be useful to motivate your choice, put a link, provide an approximative price.
- after a while (?), we'll make a poll with the most listed speakers.
- given the poll results, Erin validates the speaker to be reviewed (or maybe a few, and the first one we can provide makes it to Erin), and gives us a timeline. Erin's the reviewer, so the choice is his ultimately. He'll probably choose the most requested one, but he may choose any of the speakers polled, or dismiss.
- we do everything we can (contact manufacturers, reach out to owner/potential buyers, gather the necessary funds, etc.) to provide him the speaker within the timeline, knowing what to do with the speaker afterwards.
- Erin reviews the speaker while we wait impatiently. Remember, he doesn't have to do it. However, it has to be believed that, once he agreed on a speaker and a timeline and that we have found a way to provide him the speaker, he'll be engaged in the process of reviewing it.
- Erin ships the speaker back, publishes the review, speaker goes back home, gets international praise, it's Christmas, everyone's happy.

This is a community's driven initiative, everything written above is open to discussion.
Up to you now.
Mackie HR624 mk2 destroyed my BW 805s sound wise and dynamics wise despite being about 1/3 as expensive including amp cost which is 0 for the Mackies.

Top Bottom