• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news - March Audio Sointuva will be shipped to Erin soon! It will take awhile though as Erin has a backlog.
Here's a sneak peek of Sointuva with a new beryllium waveguide tweeter that should perform even better with smoother directivity:

View attachment 164456
Wow, that's a beautiful speaker!

TabCam

Soon! Just took it off the Klippel tonight. :)
Glad that we now get external measurements of another promising speaker. Also love to see your subjective observations. Like that you use less audiophile music although I also discovered that some instruments like a saxophone is sometimes better judged with a track like Saxophoneoutlet by Helge Schneider. Although there are far more pop songs which are better as a song, I also recognize that those are far more processed than the mentioned track, at least it seems so to me.

Ericglo

I am not sure if I have mentioned it, but the Behringer PA speakers seem to be popular over at AVS. There are some others. They probably aren't great for music, but should get loud for movies/TV.

kyle_neuron

I am not sure if I have mentioned it, but the Behringer PA speakers seem to be popular over at AVS. There are some others. They probably aren't great for music, but should get loud for movies/TV.
Which ones are you referring to? Like most Behringer stuff there are lemons and diamonds spread throughout a vast product range both current and historical. At lower volumes, you're more likely to have passable results on all of them, but some use low quality parts with terrible lifespans and worse serviceability - and most of all, for home use, a bunch of their older stuff is hideously ugly! The cheap plastic chips and scratches easily, even if you can get over the 'cool' injection moulded mess on the front of the cabinet:
Behringer_B815NEO_B815NEO_Powered_Speaker_and_679598.jpg

What might be more interesting from Uli's megacorp is some of the more vaunted budget monitors they make? I remember that one edition of the Truth range was supposed to punch well above it's price point, there's gotta be a few more like that to put against the more recent budget speakers Erin has tested such as the Emotiva.

SPOautos

It's been fun having the Vandersteen 2C's tested...makes me curious how they stack up to other speakers of the era. Kinda makes me want to drop off something else when I go pick up the 2C's....maybe some Advent Large or some Dahlquist DQ10's. I personally think the DQ10's are a better sounding speaker, would be interesting to see how they test.

TabCam

Soon! Just took it off the Klippel tonight. :)
Any news on when the review will be published?

Love the Kii Three review, I also found it a tad too hot on some recordings and your measurements seem to confirm that.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Any news on when the review will be published?

Love the Kii Three review, I also found it a tad too hot on some recordings and your measurements seem to confirm that.

Yea, it was shared by the owner in this thread:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news - March Audio Sointuva will be shipped to Erin soon! It will take awhile though as Erin has a backlog.
Here's a sneak peek of Sointuva with a new beryllium waveguide tweeter that should perform even better with smoother directivity:

View attachment 164456
Curious for this one!

TabCam

Yea, it was shared by the owner in this thread:
Ah, I see. I thought you meant that the Sointuva was taken from the Kippel but that one is probably still on transport. Won't hold my breath (wasn't doing that anyway), but still very curious about that one!

JRS

Major Contributor
Sound Lab A10, some of us love panel speakers and these are arguably the worlds best. Definitely end game material and no more expensive than say M2's.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kef Reference 1's, or for that matter anything in the Reference Series. When the most comprehensive review comes from Darko, someone needs to take an objective look.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@hardisj Has anyone offered to send any of Linkwitz's DIY dipoles? I wouldn't mind crowd funding some gas money or shipping fees. or even buy you an entire kit for the more humble models if you're willing to assemble them.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@hardisj Has anyone offered to send any of Linkwitz's DIY dipoles? I wouldn't mind crowd funding some gas money or shipping fees. or even buy you an entire kit for the more humble models if you're willing to assemble them.

I don't believe anyone has.

TabCam

The March is here.

Well, THAT one is now on the Klippel. :)
Oeehh, Exciting! Although I like the white March Audio Sointuva more (due to my own interior), it still looks nice with those rounded edges and impressive with those double passive radiators on the back. Hopefully it measures as well as Match Audio's own measurement!

Would also be nice to have a measurements of hardwood and cheaper materials like MDF/HDF or plywood to know if there are measurable differences. But let's first wait and see the measurement of these, can't hardly wait!

Top Bottom