• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Update on the March Audio speaker.

The speakers sent to me were the initial prototype speaker which are the same as the final design just more 'broken in' and less a final crossover mod (discussed below). I was completely fine with that. No sense in Alan building me a brand new pair just for review that he'd then have to sell at a discount as they had been used. Logical.

When I first listened, something sounded off. Remember, I test in stereo and mono for different reasons. This is important. I took some notes and moved on to the measurements.

I tested one and the results looked really out of whack so I contacted Alan. Long story short, since this was the prototype, the inductor hadn't been zipped-tied in place and Alan forgot to do that before he shipped it and it was knocked loose in transit. I verified by disassembling the speaker and sure enough... wiggle, wiggle. Rather than fix it right away, I put the other speaker on the stand. And... wow. Good wow. ;)

I sent Alan the measurements so he could see for sure that the two measured different and we could tie up that loose end. The (good speaker's) measurement was as he expected so no news there. But, let's visit this quote from earlier...

Received some more info about the speaker - tweeter is indeed SB Acoustics TW29BNWG-4 and there are some preliminary free field measurements made with the following note from Alan:
"Please note that the small lift in response above 9kHz has already been corrected by a crossover tweak. Otherwise its essentially +- 1.5dB. Listening window is very close to the on axis. As with the previous version F3 is around 45Hz and F6 around 38 Hz. In room the bass extends below 30Hz."

Alan knew what to expect with my (good) result and had already accounted for a HF lift in the final crossover (that wasn't in the prototype board). Knowing that I was going to have to fix the busted crossover (for my listening tests) I thought, "hey, why not just have Alan send me the updated crossover so I can test what will be the true final version". So, rather than fix it, I asked Alan to send me the updated crossovers and I'll test the speakers with those.

Stay tuned for the final results. I'm not sure when the new crossovers will get here but I'll post and update when I get them.

In the meantime I can tell you that the measurements which have already been shared are really quite indicative of what I measured. I haven't overlaid them but I'd say to my eye they're practically the same. This might be one of the best measuring speakers I've seen so far, even with the current HF tilt. The sound power response also might be the most linear I have ever seen. Alan has done a superb job with these speakers.

(side note: to those who follow me on Patreon, this is the speaker I posted a sneak peak result of a couple days ago. ;))

Last edited:

TabCam

I already thought that the measurememts were less than ideal as it took more time than the Vandersteens. Thanks for the update and kudos for contacting the builder! Reviews can make and break a speaker and a lot can get wrong, especially in transport. Also good to hear that Alan March is that responsive.

Knowing that there is an improved crossover I rather wait and see the results of the one being sold. You implicitly make a nice case for patronage ;). Keep on measuring and enjoy the music.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Posted Polk R100 review:

alpha67

IT would be nice to see a review of Focal Shape (40, 50 or 60) and Solos Be6, Trio6 Be

Flak

Industry Insider
I'd be interested in a test of the Dynaudio 18S and LYD 48 combo system that they define as a sort of 4 way "mini main" that goes down to 16 Hz
(I understand that the cost of the 18S is much lower than stated in the video):

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I'd be interested in a test of the Dynaudio 18S and LYD 48 combo system

Thats my system, sounds bloody good to my ears and with the tight integration of the speakers and sub it really works as a complete setup.

Flak

Industry Insider
Thats my system, sounds bloody good to my ears and with the tight integration of the speakers and sub it really works as a complete setup.
My understanding is that two subs are probably needed and that decreasing by DSP the low-frequency range of the LYD 48s will increase their output for listening at a distance.
Do you confirm?
Your findings and thoughts as an owner?
What about the declared low-frequency extension?

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I doubt I’d want two subs in my 3.3m x 4.3m x 2.4m room as the bass extension is ample, one of my fav tracks I know inside out is “Deipkier by Craven Faults” and it has any amount of sub bass you could possibly want, previously had a krk 10s sub/Rokit g4 7’s and I thought the krk sub produced deep bass on that track but I now realise it was barely hitting the mark, The 18s is in a totally different league to the krk

I haven’t implemented any dsp yet as a mate with the necessary knowledge from years of studio engineering is coming to do a room sweep at some point, He’ll play about with the 18s sub dsp settings and see if it makes an audible improvement from my listening position.

As an owner I’m just so chuffed with the combination of LYD 48’s and 18s, it was my studio mate above who dropped by my house with a pair of Hedd mk2 type 20s earlier on in the year, they got me thinking about replacing my krk setup which was only 6 months old, the Hedds sounded amazing in my treated room but I balked at the high cost so I searched around and started reading about the Dynaudio combination, I must have read every single review of the LYD’s over a period of a few months and after reading only good things about them I decided to order them. Only had them a couple of weeks so far but for the combined cost of £3k I doubt I could get better for my room, there’s also £2.5k of GIK acoustic treatment in the room so I’m sure that helps as well.

Last edited:

SPFC

I would like to see Erin measure in wall speakers. There are a lot of people interested for HT and music too. Monoprice/monolith just added new models that are reasonably priced and potentially great performers. Amir reviewed a couple of in walls, but it looks like this is an area where performance is still yet to be undertood. Erin had built baffles before to test drivers, so he could leverage that to test in wall speakers.

And a huge thank you to Amir and Erin for the invaluable service they are providing to the community!

nathan

Great idea.

In walls have the potential to sound better (they can be engineered for their known relationship to the key boundary), have higher output for the same amount of power (reinforcement based on their location), lower cost (no need to spend money on furniture grade cabinetry and finishes), and high spousal acceptance versus boxes in the room.

They also make the most of a dedicate theater in a small room, since they don't take up floor space.

Seeing more measurements of this kind of speaker, done with the manner of their intended installation taken into account, would be very welcome!

monkeyboy

I'd like to see some Powered Loudspeakers, JBL EONs, Yamaha DBR, DXR, QSC CP/K series...
Is there a review que? I'd love to see what is coming...

User5910

Forum Donor
Power Sound Audio MT-110
Is Erin open to somebody "buying" ID speakers like these from Power Sound Audio, delivering to him for testing during the "free trial" period, then putting them back in the box to return to the manufacturer?

Brief specs for the Power Sound Audio MT-110 mentioned by Enchy:
  • 1" titanium compression driver
  • 10" high efficiency woofer
  • Frequency Response = 70Hz - 18kHz
  • Sensitivity = 95dB 1W/1M
  • Size HxWxD = 17.5" x 11" x 14"
  • Weight = 35lbs

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Is Erin open to somebody "buying" ID speakers like these from Power Sound Audio, delivering to him for testing during the "free trial" period, then putting them back in the box to return to the manufacturer?

I won't do that myself but if someone is on the fence about a product and wants to see performance before they make the decision to keep it, then I'm willing to do that. ;)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
FWIW, I posted the Arendal 1961 Bookshelf results on my Patreon page last night. So, if you're a Patron, you'll get to see the results over there in advance. ;)

Not sure when the results will be made public. Could be days. Could be weeks. Just depends on when I get time to post the review on my site.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Brief specs for the Power Sound Audio MT-110 mentioned by Enchy:
  • 1" titanium compression driver
  • 10" high efficiency woofer
  • Frequency Response = 70Hz - 18kHz
  • Sensitivity = 95dB 1W/1M
  • Size HxWxD = 17.5" x 11" x 14"
  • Weight = 35lbs
PSA has posted on another forum that the compression driver is a B&C DE-250 in a B&C ME20 90x60 cast aluminum exponential horn and the woofer is a B&C 10CL51. Much interest has been expressed on multiple AV forums about how these speakers would measure. It would be interesting to see how they compare to the similar DIYSG HTM-12 that @hardisj measured.

Erin previously said he would be uncomfortable ordering a speaker and returning it for a refund after testing. However, with PSA he could simply call Tom Vodhanel and ask if there was any objection to him returning a speaker after testing. PSA offers a 60-day trial during which you only have to pay return shipping cost.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apart from the higher end reference speakers from Kef, I'd like to see Erin review something I craved in the mid 90's, specifically the Avalon Eidolons. I think Avalon is still in business, and still sells ultra premium speakers. It may even still sell the Eidolon. I heard it in around '96 at Underground Sound in Memphis and thought it was one of the three best speakers I have ever heard. It also received universally favorable reviews in the slicks of the era. It had unbelievable imaging, perhaps the very best I've ever heard.

Would be interesting to see how it measured on a 2034.

Top Bottom