• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

concorde1

JBL 4429 - jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers/4429.html?dwvar_4429_color=Cherry-Germany-Current&cgid=bookshelf-loudspeakers

Revel Gem2 - revelspeakers.com/products/types/bookshelf/Gem2-.html?dwvar_Gem2-_color=Wood-USA-Current&cgid=bookshelf

Two of my dream speakers!
Also Selah Audio Tempesta MK2.

Gurkerl

I'd also be curious about measurements of some of the Swans or Edifier speakers out there to compare them against "traditional" studio monitors in their price range.

Some examples:
Swan M3A
Swan M300
Swan D300
Edifier S3000Pro
Edifier Airpulse A100

speedyuk

First of all have to say I really enjoy the forum, it's a great source of un biased info. I switched to uncompressed streaming as my only source of music ages ago. I'm from the other side of the pond and I'd be very interested to see some independent measurements for the Quad Z2. I've just recently upgraded to them from the smaller cheaper S2. I've been keen to be able to house the electrostatics but don't have the room and so have gone with the dynamic Quads that use a ribbon tweeter. I've been very pleased with the clarity and detail. https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/z-2/
quad z2.jpg

Ericglo

Those Revox speakers look really nice and would fit into a modern decor. Looking at their website, I was shocked by the price considering the size of the drivers.

dfuller

Major Contributor
If anybody can get Erin an ATC SCM25A, I'd be real interested. I always really liked those when I used them in-studio, but I want to know why that is.

jonfitch

TAD speakers (ME-1 or CR1) or the older Pioneer S-*EX series if you can get your handson a pair.

Revox used to be a well regarded name in the pro-audio scene.
Revox/Studer certainly made some fine studio loudspeakers but I would question whether their modern products are as good as the old ones. I have some Revox Plenum B (equivalent to the Studer 2706 monitor) which sound subjectively significantly better than the newer Revox evolution D-Piccolo and D-Bass. I have read somewhere that Revox/Studer used to make their own drivers because the ones they got from Cabasse were too expensive. You can still get some drivers for repair from them 50 years later which is very cool.

Their legacy continues in the form of the PSI Audio company which produces studio monitors using the analog technology that Studer invented. A review of some PSI Audio product would be very interesting as they do not publish directivity graphs and seem much more interested about linear phase and output impedance.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their legacy continues in the form of the PSI Audio company which produces studio monitors using the analog technology that Studer invented. A review of some PSI Audio product would be very interesting as they do not publish directivity graphs and seem much more interested about linear phase and output impedance.

I definitely think it'd be cool to see a spin of PSI audio speakers, but they do publish a 'directivity factor' with their manuals. I'm not totally sure how to translate these measurements to the more traditional directivity index though. For example, the A-17M:

Screenshot_20210515-101125.png

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
March Audio sointuva
I’d be interested in this. I’m not made of money but would be happy to chip in for shipping costs if a U.S based member had these-or was prepared to buy them and have them arrive with Erin before shipping on.

Top Bottom