• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

tuga

Major Contributor
Mid- to large-sized. Amir is already dealing with the low budget desktop range. :p
And preferably ones which haven't already been measured by Stereophile and Soundstage.

MrOtto

SVS Prime Pinnacle, Revel R36, Elac Debut Reference DFR-52, Focal Chroa 826, KEF R7

OP
L

lherrm

Listing ongoing on : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hNHyHAKgYV3_Chrr5b9ncc2-7jG38Ejr0ioPhOb8fTo/edit?usp=sharing

1615557634277.png

I'll catchup tomorrow

nathan

Sorry for the thread jack but I am curious about your conclusion (I'm still learning to read these measurements).

This looks like pretty consistent off axis behavior to my amateur eye. I would naively conclude that even if they roll off the top end the sound they do create is probably pretty good, looking at these measurements, right?*

And by "pretty good" I mean if we consider consistent off axis behavior and a +/- 3db range without huge swings to be workable, etc etc?

Audioholics has measured their more expensive line and they aren’t great:

$1900/pair bookshelves:
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/sv-61r/measurements

--
*I know some people are aghast at losing the top half of the top octave (a range that almost anyone old enough to afford these speakers cant hear anymore, anyway?) but in terms of what sounds good, absent is better than wrong, usually.

nathan

The link you want for Triad is probably one of these, though I haven't seen mention of a specific model, yet.

https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-bronze-lcr/

https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-silver-lcr/

https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-gold-lcr/

---

I have a Bronze LCR in storage right now that I have offered up (but it is the in wall form factor, so a challenge in that regard)....and I'll bet most people are interested in their larger siblings in the Silver or Gold series (which Triad says do NOT sound better but just have more output for larger spaces).

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't mind seeing some PA speakers tested from all (low-mid-high) tiers. Home theater afficionados have been using PA speakers for years, but there's very little to find in terms of high quality objective measurements.

Also it could/would draw a different crowd as well if some sort of SPL/distortion test could be included. I'm sure PA guys would love the info.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Also it could/would draw a different crowd as well if some sort of SPL/distortion test could be included. I'm sure PA guys would love the info.

That's part of my standard testing.

I was unable to run that on the D&D8c because of weather but that shouldn't be a problem in the coming weeks/months.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

IMO this is their most interesting speaker:

https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-silver-monitor/

They have a bigger version, but that’s just another 7” 2-way with flat waveguided tweeter dispersion disruption generator.

This one is an MTM (not many measured with modern tech) that uses some of the best midwoofers available (ScanSpeak Revelator midwoofer) in a size (5.5”) that might not be a terrible pairing with a flat waveguided tweeter. It’s also reasonably sized. So the bones are there, but design integration is a black hole right now.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's part of my standard testing.

I was unable to run that on the D&D8c because of weather but that shouldn't be a problem in the coming weeks/months.

I love your extremely comprehensive reviews, but I understand they take up a massive amount of time to produce. Personally I'd be very happy with just measurements and maybe a mechanical noise at high SPL 'check', especially if pro equipment were to come up at some point.

Evozero

Before the Pandemic my aim was to save up for Kef R7's. But with little work and three little mouths to feed I had to reign in my aspirations.
I paid £250 for my Wharfedale diamond 230 with a six year warranty, and sound great to my ears.

They look smart in real life with the grills on, shame they ruin the sound.
I'll have to bust out the Mic and compare.

nathan

IMO this is their most interesting speaker:

https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inroom/ir-silver-monitor/

They have a bigger version, but that’s just another 7” 2-way with flat waveguided tweeter dispersion disruption generator.

This one is an MTM (not many measured with modern tech) that uses some of the best midwoofers available (ScanSpeak Revelator midwoofer) in a size (5.5”) that might not be a terrible pairing with a flat waveguided tweeter. It’s also reasonably sized. So the bones are there, but design integration is a black hole right now.

The monitor series are their “top of the line” (which confuses people, “Hey how can you guys sell a Silver Monitor for more than a Gold LCR, isn’t gold better than silver?”).

I totally agree it would be very interesting to know if their design lives up to the potential of the components since they are the best priced box of those components on the market....and if we believe the hype, Triad has a proper anechoic chamber for their development process.

But as a “home theater guy“ I’d still vote a little more strongly for measuring one of their LCR speakers since those are such a mainstay of custom installers of six figure theaters.

Either way I would not complain, of course, but unlike the LCR series I can’t offer up a sample of a Monitor series speaker to measure.

But I’ll bet someone can.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If people have "renowned" speakers of yore, it might be fun to (in)validate/understand why they received all that praise and whether it was justified. Speakers like: Dynaco A25, Large Advents, Quad 57s, SL6Si, Spendor SP2, Neat Iota... and on and on. Always wondered if any of them managed to find an objective sweet spot. Anyways - it'd be fun for me, not sure about others.

posvibes

I kinda like the bottom up range of speakers, one because everybody is always looking for the killer speaker at a budget price (even audiophiles) and two I hope that it comes to the attention of the manufacturer's of more expensive speakers that they should be wary and at the top of their game, offering not only good fidelity but value for money, because of sites like ASR you may be able to run but you can't hide.

I also like budget and money for value speakers because personally I think mid-fi is the new hi-fi, and I am not expecting any great leaps forward in audio fidelity, because let's face it, some drivers, some crossover in a box of some type, or a ribbon is about as far as we have got and even they have been around for long, long time. We still rave about Quad's ESL57's.

I'm not sure of the industry statistics but I assume headphone spend globally kills speakers in comparison as far as sales are concerned. And I am hoping that somewhere a headphone development team is working on an out of body experience headphone experience so that your perfect room is always with you.

And then I woke up......

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If people have "renowned" speakers of yore, it might be fun to (in)validate/understand why they received all that praise and whether it was justified. Speakers like: Dynaco A25, Large Advents, Quad 57s, SL6Si, Spendor SP2, Neat Iota... and on and on. Always wondered if any of them managed to find an objective sweet spot. Anyways - it'd be fun for me, not sure about others.

I'd like to see these measurements too, just to see whether things were really so good back then, and how much progress has actually been made!

Top Bottom