• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of Wayne Parham’s designs, such as the 4 pi. I’d expect them to measure very well, he’s done some very interesting work.

tuga

Major Contributor
Revox/Studer certainly made some fine studio loudspeakers but I would question whether their modern products are as good as the old ones. I have some Revox Plenum B (equivalent to the Studer 2706 monitor) which sound subjectively significantly better than the newer Revox evolution D-Piccolo and D-Bass. I have read somewhere that Revox/Studer used to make their own drivers because the ones they got from Cabasse were too expensive. You can still get some drivers for repair from them 50 years later which is very cool.

Their legacy continues in the form of the PSI Audio company which produces studio monitors using the analog technology that Studer invented. A review of some PSI Audio product would be very interesting as they do not publish directivity graphs and seem much more interested about linear phase and output impedance.

I have the impression that PSI were OEM designing and manufacturing the last Studer A-series and not the other way around.

Here you'll find some measurements of the A215-MS:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...itors-do-they-measure-well.14691/#post-455856

Katji

Major Contributor
I'd also be curious about measurements of some of the Swans or Edifier speakers out there to compare them against "traditional" studio monitors in their price range.

Some examples:
Swan M3A
Swan M300
Swan D300
Edifier S3000Pro
Edifier Airpulse A100

+1 for Edifier.
I've got S3000Pro and I'm quite interested in the Airpulse range.

Impressive company. In-house design and manufacture of speaker drivers. Klippel NFS. Interesting founder/CEO.

1621090981990.png

Their legacy continues in the form of the PSI Audio company which produces studio monitors using the analog technology that Studer invented.

I have the impression that PSI were OEM designing and manufacturing the last Studer A-series and not the other way around.

The patents are held by Paul Zwicky and Roger Schultheiss from Studer, so I guess it was way more than just a rebranding such as they did with the Beyerdynamic headphones. After the Motor-Columbus->Harman->Samsung turnover it's nice that they are still able to produce loudspeakers in Switzerland. The patents have now expired but it would be interesting to know why Harman did not want to integrate the technology in any product.

tuga

Major Contributor
Those Revox speakers look really nice and would fit into a modern decor. Looking at their website, I was shocked by the price considering the size of the drivers.

One is definitely paying premium for brand name, ethos and design - that's the lifestyle market for you.

I wonder how much performance we're getting for the money...

a_redd

After seeing Amir’s review of the JBL Stage a130’s, I’d like to see how the towers (a170, a180) stack up.
DIYSG’s HT line, and Monoprice Monolith speakers would also be interesting.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Probably too big, but I would like to see one of the powered Goldenear Triton models.

I second the KEF R series towers too, but, again, probably too big.

hex168

Eminent Technology LFT-8B:
http://www.eminent-tech.com/index.html?fwd=LFT8.html
I remember these as sounding quite good. It would be interesting to see what they look like on an NFS, and how that correlates to Erin's listening impressions. I would suspect all sorts of lobing from the shallow crossovers used in the LFT, but what do I know?

Side note: Years ago,the designer, Bruce Thigpen was kind enough to help me with the design of a tall dipole line array using the Monsoon/Sonogistix planar drivers (which were manufactured under license from Mr. Thigpen). It's a shame the drivers are no longer available.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it would be nice to see something with a different design philosophy to speakers we know likely measure well e.g small to medium size 2 way studio monitors with dsp. Something affordable though, no point my knowing how well the latest TAD designs are for example.

A linkwitz lxmini for example.

tuga

Major Contributor
The latest iteration of Lipinski's 707?
An older version with kevlar cones was reviewed in 2005 by Stereophile.

21_photo_specs.jpg

http://lipinskisound.com/products-specifications/l-707a-one-segment-monitor/

buz

Forum Donor
Piega PREMIUM 301 or Piega CLASSIC 3.0
+1. If only because Piega is located a few miles from where I grew up... I have my doubts they would be competitive with KEF R3 but who knows.

Top Bottom