• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

Ericglo

I thought they sold the forum years ago.

You are thinking of AVSforum. Alan and David did sell the forum separately from the retail business. The owners of the retail business started their own forum.

I could mention both you and Erin to them about getting some speakers to test.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I thought they sold the forum years ago.

I don't think I've ever even heard of it.

Edit: I just looked at their site. Are they affiliated with AVSforum? Because the logos look very similar with the RGB graphic.

Coach_Kaarlo

Yamaha NS-2000, relatively easy to find, or and preferably the new Yamaha NS-5000.

Interesting and unique engineering solutions in a medium sized speaker. Measurements do exist but I found the off-axis subjective experience far better than my new F208's. My old NS-2000's managed to produce a wall of sound with good separation and depth. My Revel's are just speakers making point source noises in comparison even with their very good off axis measurements they never disappear sonically.

So I am interested to see if the measurements support my subjective bias. And to my knowledge no-one has measured the Yamaha's off-axis yet.

But please don't follow this forum into the small bookshelf market - some of us like loud large speakers which blow these small toys out of the water in any decent kind of space or listening levels. I have heard both Yamaha's mentioned above and they play louder and cleaner than many of the speakers commonly recommended on here.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chane A2.4
Chane A2.4
Power Sound Audio MT-110
I’ll contribute $25 if it’s for a Chane, HTD, or PSA speaker.

____

RBH Sound
I have a pair of RBH RB5iR’s that I got on clearance for $158/pair back in 2017. Really amazing looking for the price, are they using the premade Dayton cabinets that the BMR used to use?:

r5bi-red-pair.png

Audioholics has measured their more expensive line and they aren’t great:

$1900/pair bookshelves:
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/sv-61r/measurements

$2000/pair towers:
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/rbh-r-55e/conclusion

$300/pair bookshelves:
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/rbh-r-5/conclusion
1615509796251.jpeg

1615509817405.jpeg

Honestly surprised, as I think the pair I have (<$300/pair new) sound pretty good.

Last edited:

Ericglo

____

I have a pair of RBH RB5iR’s that I got on clearance for $158/pair back in 2017. Really amazing looking for the price, are they using the premade Dayton cabinets that the BMR used to use?:

r5bi-red-pair.png

Audioholics has measured their more expensive line and they aren’t great:

I am not sure as I haven't really followed RBH. I believe Gene told Erin on his podcast that he has some RBHs. IIRC Mike Garrett has some in his living room.

Ericglo

I don't think I've ever even heard of it.

Edit: I just looked at their site. Are they affiliated with AVSforum? Because the logos look very similar with the RGB graphic.

AVS was a retail company along with a forum which turned into the 800 pound gorilla. The forum was sold IIRC 10 or so years ago. Verticalscope bought the forum again IIRC five years ago. The retail side was sold to one of the employees. Despite the fact that they were separate companies, they still collaborated. For those that remember, AVS and then AVScience (the name of the retail company) had the infamous presales on projectors around Cedia time. To my knowledge there is no association any more, but you will see Mike Garrett, Craig Peer and another employee posting on AVSForum.

The AVScience discussion forum is small, so probably not a lot of exposure there. On the other hand, if they can help get some speakers for testing....

And yes the graphics are very similar. I am not sure if I am at liberty to discuss that.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
“But please don't follow this forum into the small bookshelf market - some of us like loud large speakers which blow these small toys out of the water in any decent kind of space or listening levels.”

what he said ;)

Last edited:

Enchy

Yeah I'd happily put up $25 for anything from those three manufacturers.

I asked for measurements on the official PSA speaker thread on AVS and Tom V basically told me to take my money elsewhere. Now I really want to see measurements.

Beave

Major Contributor
I would like to see measurements of multiple Chane speakers (because if they measure well, their fans will say it's evidence of how good they are; but if they have a lot of flaws, those same fans will say that measurements don't matter).

nerdoldnerdith

But please don't follow this forum into the small bookshelf market - some of us like loud large speakers which blow these small toys out of the water in any decent kind of space or listening levels. I have heard both Yamaha's mentioned above and they play louder and cleaner than many of the speakers commonly recommended on here.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Go full-range or go home.

Coach_Kaarlo

“But please don't follow this forum into the small bookshelf market - some of us like loud large speakers which blow these small toys out of the water in any decent kind of space or listening levels.”

what he said ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Go full-range or go home.

Small teaser for you guys if you like it loud and clean.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ip374HfzKXzwQtkOfFSY0v22sw2vKJaL/view?usp=sharing

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Coach_Kaarlo

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert

____

r5bi-red-pair.png

$300/pair bookshelves:
ht

Honestly surprised, as I think the pair I have (<$300/pair new) sound pretty good.
No--those are custom made cabinets from over there. The Audioholics reviewer actually liked the more expensive versions, and didn't think the high end was dull. I've used the same AMT tweeter (from Aurum Cantus) in two designs and voiced it pretty much flat, so the RBH measurements are a little puzzling. But it was a deliberate decision, not sloppy Xover work.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yamaha NS-2000, relatively easy to find, or and preferably the new Yamaha NS-5000.

Erin will need to buy a forklift. 47kg and 35kg respectively.

Top Bottom