• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maggie 3.7i

This!

We desperately need more measurements of speakers like this, and other dipoles. I think the Harman science is pretty good for monopole speakers, and we have a good idea of what good measurements for that type of speaker look like(flat on axis, smoothly decreasing off axis). Dipoles and panels are basically uncharted territory, and it would be great to start to try and figure out what good measurements in these domains should look like. Of course, we also need listening tests to correlate the measurements to, but that can come later, as long as the data is there.

kyle_neuron

I could possibly try to link up some of the smaller Alcons Audio ‘pro ribbon’ boxes for Erin to test, if anyone would be interested? They’re certainly becoming a popular choice for home theatre, and I don’t think any other ribbons go quite so loud.

jae

Major Contributor
I'd like to see something using purifi new drivers, or some more affordable speakers/DIY designs.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any large open baffle.

Trell

Major Contributor
A review of some Canton Vento speakers would be very nice, though they are not so commonly available in USA.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I’d be interested in this. I’m not made of money but would be happy to chip in for shipping costs if a U.S based member had these-or was prepared to buy them and have them arrive with Erin before shipping on.

I offer to chip-in $100 if someone is willing to ship March Audio Sointuva to Erin.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

monkeyboy

Studio monitors seem to be the best bang for the buck, but might have low SPL for a large room...a PA Speaker might be the answer to the low SPL it would be nice to see how a decent PA measures...

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Had a quick email exchange with Alan March - he is willing to send a Sointuva to Erin for testing, but he will have his review set available around October. I actually prefer if he sends a speaker for measurement to remove any uncertainties and will chip-in for his shipping costs too as promised.

If anyone else is willing to ship their Sointuva earlier that would be great too, there's $200 total offered to help with shipping costs by me and @Phorize.

USER

Forum Donor
Has anyone even checked with Erin to see if he wants to review that speaker? If I remember correctly I believe Erin said he wanted none of March Audio's crazy when the latter went off the rails and got banned from the site.

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Has anyone even checked with Erin to see if he wants to review that speaker? If I remember correctly I believe Erin said he wanted none of March Audio's crazy when the latter went off the rails and got banned from the site.
Maybe the situation has changed now that they both aren't on the site anymore..

USER

Forum Donor

Pretty much what I said. I believe the relevant thread has since been deleted, but there was an incident involving a bad mix of ego and self-destructive behavior. As Alan has been banned and this happened a while ago, I don't think it needs to be discussed any further. I wish him the best.

Ericglo

Since I guess you are talking about this site, was Erin banned as well? I haven't seen him post in awhile.

Top Bottom