• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker setup best describes your primary audio system?

Please choose the option below that best describes your primary system

• Passive stereo 2.0

Votes: 82 26.4%
  • Active stereo 2.0

Votes: 31 10.0%
  • Passive stereo 2.x

Votes: 69 22.2%
  • Active stereo 2.x

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • Multichannel 3.x

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Multichannel 5.x

Votes: 32 10.3%
  • Multichannel 7.x

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Multichannel 9.x

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Multichannel 11.x or more

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Something else (please post details)

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going to be passive 2.2 soon enough I hope.

Currently using Kef R3s. Building pair of dual opposed subs with Dayton Ultimax 12s. BSS Blu 160 for crossover.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've played around with a lot of different setups during covid but running passive 2.0 now.

kthulhutu

OP should've included headphones in the poll. I personally am curious how big the divide between headphone and speaker users is.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A poll on all audio systems in the household might be interesting, too.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP should've included headphones in the poll. I personally am curious how big the divide between headphone and speaker users is.

Thanks and realized right after I completed the poll that I excluded IEM and headphone users. Suspect we have some members that get analyst reports that should compare the market sizes. Otherwise, is a good candidate for a follow-up poll.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Going to be passive 2.2 soon enough I hope.

Currently using Kef R3s. Building pair of dual opposed subs with Dayton Ultimax 12s. BSS Blu 160 for crossover.
Is it passive 2.2 if you use an active crossover?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted passive stereo 2.0 because that is what I use for music. I occasionally use the system with headphones. (I have a Benchmark HPA4 preamplifier / headphone amplifier.) I also have a multichannel 7.x system for TV & movies and an active stereo 2.0 system in my office.

Martin

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have 4.2.2. I may go 5.2.2 but need a good diy idea for a double center, below and above TV.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as the speaker cabinet does not have any internal amplification, it should be considered passive.
Many active pro monitors have the amps and crossovers externally, both for space and heat reasons, so it can't be said that only internal amplification can be called active. It depends where the crossovers are, before or after the power amps that determines passive or active.

S

Pretorious

Passive 2.0. Extremely pleased with the sound, and never desired to devote the effort into blending a sub into this system. This setup is all I need to enjoy.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So far, in a board for audio enthusiasts, at least 87.3% have 5 channels or less.

But the manufacturers keep pumping out 9+ channel monstrosities.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So far, in a board for audio enthusiasts, at least 87.3% have 5 channels or less.

But the manufacturers keep pumping out 9+ channel monstrosities.
So you need more 2ch audio enthusiasts it seems in order to make such equipment available at as competitive of price perhaps. Economies of scale are what they are. This forum is more 2ch focused than some others, too.

DWPress

Forum Donor
It depends where the crossovers are, before or after the power amps that determines passive or active.

That was what I was getting at - until this new generation of POWERED speakers came along for home use active meant XO scheme. Some of these have DSP integrated but many still have passive XO inside.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many active pro monitors have the amps and crossovers externally, both for space and heat reasons, so it can't be said that only internal amplification can be called active. It depends where the crossovers are, before or after the power amps that determines passive or active.

S
In the poster’s case, both internal (passive) and external (active) crossovers are used.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Voted "something else" as my system is a mix of other options.

For music it is 2.1, a streamer connected to preamp/DSP/active crossover that feeds both a power amp with passive main speakers and an active sub.
For TV and movies, it is 5.1, an AVR feeding passive surrounds/center speakers and the same preamp/DSP/active crossover for mains and LFE channels (as for music).

Primarily focused on music but also watching TV & movies!

For home office, it is 2.0 (laptop + active speakers).

ZööZ

I guess 6.2.2 for now (Mains/surrounds and subs active, top middles passive) although most of my music and tv listening is either 2.2 with LR or 2.0 with the top middles or 3.2.2 mchstereo .
Movies, gaming and occasional atmos etc. music with everything on obviously.

Top Bottom