• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which small, inconspicuous USB DAC/AMP for IEMs in the <100 USD range?

voon

I'm trying to find a small headphone amp, that has to drive Chi Fi IEMs atm like the KZ ZS10 Pro or the BGVP DM6 I both own. It doens't have to be battery drivable, I'd just want it to do proper USB DACcing to Windows 10 PCs with no hiss if possible. I'm not sure if 24bits/96kHz or so are needed .. but I guess it's aplus when I can tell myself my FLACs now sound magical.

I tried a StarTech ICUSBAUDIO2D unit, which contains some CM chip I think ... It doesn't sound bad at all for such a silly small unit :) But I have hiss when nothing plays and the volume is totally down on the unit. Is this coming from USB? I now have it directly in a USB2 port of the desktop PC, with a USB extension in between of maybe 1.5m .. passive. I noticed it gets crazy if I put it into a USB3 hub .. tons of noises. The slight hiss is not that important but maybe there's something somewhat better at the pricerange? I'm a big fan of cheap & good and do not like overpriced things. So I thought ASR is the right forum to ask this :)

Last edited:

Aafnp

Any reason you don't want to use an Apple dongle? They measure well, are super portable, don't require external power, and cost $9. I spent a week comparing it with the NX4 and ifi micro black using Solaris IEMs, and hardly noticed any difference with the full sized portable dac/amps.

OP
V

voon

In theory ... but isn't that Lighning?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I'm trying to find a small headphone amp, that has to drive Chi Fi IEMs atm like the KZ ZS10 Pro or the BGVP DM6 I both own. It doens't have to be battery drivable, I'd just want it to do proper USB DACcing to Windows 10 PCs with no hiss if possible. I'm not sure if 24bits/96kHz or so are needed .. but I guess it's aplus when I can tell myself my FLACs now sound magical.

I tried a StarTech ICUSBAUDIO2D unit, which contains some CM chip I think ... It doesn't sound bad at all for such a silly small unit :) But I have hiss when nothing plays and the volume is totally down on the unit. Is this coming from USB? I now have it directly in a USB2 port of the desktop PC, with a USB extension in between of maybe 1.5m .. passive. I noticed it gets crazy if I put it into a USB3 hub .. tons of noises. The slight hiss is not that important but maybe there's something somewhat better at the pricerange? I'm a big fan of cheap & good and do not like overpriced things. So I thought ASR is the right forum to ask this :)
Two very good choices.
https://www.amazon.com/Q1-Mark-II-N...io+q1+mk2&qid=1558128892&s=electronics&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H

OP
V

voon

I now decided on something and bought a Fiio Olympus 2 E10k ... seems to be the successor to the original one. Thank all of you for your valuable input!

Top Bottom