• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Which should be the master volume control?

Here is another noobie question. What should I set as the master volume control? I playback music from my laptop thorough iTunes, feeding my active speakers. Therefore, I have three volume controls, i.e., my laptop, iTunes, and active speakers. Is it better to setup the volume as max for the laptop and iTunes with the speaker's volume control as the master or the other way round?

sergeauckland

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
Probably best (ie highest signal to noise ratio) to use the volume control on the speakers.
Agreed.

I use a Squeezebox Touch as my main source, and I leave the volume control of that at 100%. The SBT feeds a normal pre-amp with the volume control and the output of that goes to my active 'speakers that don't have their own volume control. It would be preferable to have the 'master' volume control between the 6 outputs of my digital active crossover (2 channel ADC going in, 6 DACs coming out) and the power amps, as that would reduce the noise levels from the crossover and also drive the crossover ADC harder, but as I don't have noise problems, it's just easier to do it the way I have.

In your case, certainly I would keep the PC and iTunes volume controls at 100% and control volume on the 'speakers.

S.

Set the speaker volume to about 30%, iTunes to 100% and vary the master volume to your comfortable listening level.

Since every PC and DAC are built differently, there will be times when 100% master volume will create more noise than the speakers.

Set the speaker volume to about 30%, iTunes to 100% and vary the master volume to your comfortable listening level.

Since every PC and DAC are built differently, there will be times when 100% master volume will create more noise than the speakers.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that.

Top Bottom