• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Sennheiser is best for FPS Gaming

Stavka74

Looking for advice on HD600, HD6XX and HD650 for FPS gaming. COD mostly. Looking for best player location, foot steps, and overall experience. I've tried ATH-AD700X and HD560S. Prefer HD560S. DAC/AMP is DX3Pro+ on a personal build, high-end gaming computer. Also would look at Beyer DT900 PRO X. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got two different models of Sennheiser - HD600 & HD560s. The HD560s is miles better for gaming for positional localisation of sounds in first person shooters. HD600 is actually my worst gaming headphone out of all the headphones I own (listed in sig). HD560s is probably my best gaming headphone, I don't think there's gonna be many that are much better. You've probably already hit the pinnacle with your HD560s. If you've got IEM's, the Truthear Crinacle Zero IEM was great for gaming (I was surprised), I'd say as good as the HD560s.

EDIT: The HD6XX & HD650 you mention aren't likely to be good for gaming, as they're the same physical cup design as the HD600, which is my worst gaming headphone.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the current generation of Senn’s, I’d say the HD560s because they’re more balanced. I replaced my HD555’s after 15 years of daily use in CS with HD560s when those came out.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stavka74

Gonna try out the DT900 Pro X and call it a day. Ordered them this morning from Amazon. Easy return if I don't care for them. The 560S is excellent, but are not the most comfortable and build quality is subpar for price. Will report back results after a few days. Thank you for advice. Was surprised the DAC/AMP combo made such an improvement over Z690 motherboard in terms of audio regardless of ohm headphone rating. Even the AD700X was much better in terms of sound quality and they are 32 ohm. MSI claims the MB capable of 600 ohm headphones, absolute rubbish. Volume was whisper quiet on DT990 250 ohm and Realtek app had sensed 250 ohm impedance device.

For me the headphones make a tremendous difference in FPS player localization. Open back design is vastly superior to closed back. HD560S separate sounds much better than AD700X. For AD700X sounds overlap and drown each other out. Not so with HD560S. HD560S a bit light in terms of bass, cannot APO EQ to corret sufficiently.

Last edited:

Leiker535

Gonna try out the DT900 Pro X and call it a day. Ordered them this morning from Amazon. Easy return if I don't care for them. The 560S is excellent, but are not the most comfortable and build quality is subpar for price. Will report back results after a few days. Thank you for advice. Was surprised the DAC/AMP combo made such an improvement over Z690 motherboard in terms of audio regardless of ohm headphone rating. Even the AD700X was much better in terms of sound quality and they are 32 ohm. MSI claims the MB capable of 600 ohm headphones, absolute rubbish. Volume was whisper quiet on DT990 250 ohm and Realtek app had sensed 250 ohm impedance device.

I wouldn't bash on the Sennheiser's build quality just because they are made out of plastic*. I've had a DT880 for almost 11 years, and although it is very sturdily built, with metal parts, I had to service the clamps and metal insertions on the headbands (and swap the cable, because the fixed one went dead): I never had to do that with the Hd 600s or the 650s. Sennheiser chooses plastic because it is cheaper but also because it is durable, a tried and tested design since the 1990s.

*(I wouldnt bash on any design because of plastics, really. When smartly used, high density plastic implementations can be more useful and durable than metal's.)

OP
S

Stavka74

I wouldn't bash on the Sennheiser's build quality just because they are made out of plastic*. I've had a DT880 for almost 11 years, and although it is very sturdily built, with metal parts, I had to service the clamps and metal insertions on the headbands (and swap the cable, because the fixed one went dead): I never had to do that with the Hd 600s or the 650s. Sennheiser chooses plastic because it is cheaper but also because it is durable, a tried and tested design since the 1990s.

*(I wouldnt bash on any design because of plastics, really. When smartly used, high density plastic implementations can be more useful and durable than metal's.)
Well the Beyer pads are so much more comfortable for sure. Like ear pillows. I tried the DT990 Pro but did not have the DAC/AMP combo and therefore returned them. We'll try Beyer DT 900 PRO X and if not I'll just have to admit I totally stink at COD MW2. I am getting sound "whored" in ways I cannot imagine possible and no one is beating out my gaming computer setup. I'm 48 and can afford nice gear. I'll duck walk two steps and someone jumps down from an upstairs window and kills me. Not only can they tell which room, but which section I am in. Cannot understand how until I got the HD560S. I'm close or as good as I'll get.

Leiker535

Well the Beyer pads are so much more comfortable for sure. Like ear pillows. I tried the DT990 Pro but did not have the DAC/AMP combo and therefore returned them. We'll try Beyer DT 900 PRO X and if not I'll just have to admit I totally stink at COD MW2.
They sure are, and last longer in my experience with the 600 series while being cheaper, but they do need replacing after a few years (due to stink, color degradation [they'll look horrible trust me] and sonics).

A good alternative is dekoni velour pads if you want to take the bite out of the beyers, as I found the pads do contribute a lot to the beyer treble peaks.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Looking for best player location, foot steps, and overall experience.
Headphones aren't very good for "3D location", compared to surround sound speakers or real life. Headphones ARE very good for hearing little details (like footsteps).

Normally we naturally turn our head, sometimes just slightly and sometimes subconsciously, or sometimes we turn to look where the sound is coming from. The head movement gives more "readings" for our ears to triangulate the source of the sound. But even in real life, if you've ever tried to find a squeak or rattle in you car you realize how poorly it works. ;) To really "zoom-in" it helps if you can actually see what's making the sound. There are other "directional" cues but I think head movement is the most important.

Of course with headphones the sound source moves when we move our head so it doesn't work. Somebody used to make head-tracking headphones (for surround) where the sound changes when you move your head. I don't think they make them anymore but there are head tracking devices & software. (I've never tried any of it.)

OP
S

Stavka74

Agreed DVDdoug. But the audio quality on these games is pretty amazing. The footstep sound changes due to surroundings and the left-right audio is actually amazing. I can actually tell front and behind, likely a sense of where I am on the map. The virtual surround addons are horrible and ruin any chance of gaining information on player location.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 and a nice 5.2.2 setup in my man cave. Pair of HSU VTF-15H MK2 SWs. Amazing for movies and such, but gaming is better on a 2K 27" 1ms computer monitor. A personal gaming computer build easily surpasses the hardware available on a PS5. 12th gen i9, fast RAM, NVIDIA 3080 graphics card, 850 W clean power. My TV/PS5 system was 150 ms lag no matter what I did to circumvent it. That's the time to kill in these games. On computer one can also adjust the field of view, up to a point where it seems fisheye.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the Beyer pads are so much more comfortable for sure. Like ear pillows. I tried the DT990 Pro but did not have the DAC/AMP combo and therefore returned them. We'll try Beyer DT 900 PRO X and if not I'll just have to admit I totally stink at COD MW2. I am getting sound "whored" in ways I cannot imagine possible and no one is beating out my gaming computer setup. I'm 48 and can afford nice gear. I'll duck walk two steps and someone jumps down from an upstairs window and kills me. Not only can they tell which room, but which section I am in. Cannot understand how until I got the HD560S. I'm close or as good as I'll get.
Unfortunately some players wallhack (use cheats to see hidden enemy players on their screens), so not all the players that sense your location are doing it legit. You can do it with sound, but you'll still get some players that use cheats unfortunately. But, it's still a plus point to get a headphone which enables you to localise enemies accurately regardless of how many or few people are cheating. It's part of the enjoyment to be able to accurately locate players through sound.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphones aren't very good for "3D location", compared to surround sound speakers or real life. Headphones ARE very good for hearing little details (like footsteps).

Normally we naturally turn our head, sometimes just slightly and sometimes subconsciously, or sometimes we turn to look where the sound is coming from. The head movement gives more "readings" for our ears to triangulate the source of the sound. But even in real life, if you've ever tried to find a squeak or rattle in you car you realize how poorly it works. ;) To really "zoom-in" it helps if you can actually see what's making the sound. There are other "directional" cues but I think head movement is the most important.

Of course with headphones the sound source moves when we move our head so it doesn't work. Somebody used to make head-tracking headphones (for surround) where the sound changes when you move your head. I don't think they make them anymore but there are head tracking devices & software. (I've never tried any of it.)
Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound can work for some people in fps gaming. It works for me. There's a thread on it here, a lot of it is about choosing the virtualisation tech that works best for you whilst also setting up it's parameters optimally......these elements are also synergistic with the choice of headphone and any EQ you might use on it:
SoundblasterX is the only Virtual Surround that works for me out of the ones I've tried.

Arnas

So true! I dropped my hd800S, put new desk over them when i was assembling it an so far it works just fine.
Majority of headphones would have been done, but Sennheiser quality is something else.

Arnas

If room accoustics are good i agree, but when accoustics are bad then imaging suffer so bad.

OP
S

Stavka74

Yes, HD560S are best of all I've tested imaging wise in FPS gaming. I tested DT990 Pro 250 ohm, DT900 PRO X, HD598SE, and ATH-AD700X. AD700X most comfortable, but not quite as good at imaging and footsteps. Actually the others cannot come close to HD560S. Guess that is why they are often recommended.

Not dave

+1 for this.
I spent a 'lost' year on COD around 2010 - so much time I got in the top 200 on the leaderboards...
I used reasonable open back headphones that were in no way built for gaming. Exact positioning doesn't come from audio. The good players run and gun, rarely 'camp' where you may position a player by audio only. The top players spend so much time playing the maps they learn the probabilities the other players likely positions. It may seem like a player knows your exact position, but he is just running round ready to shoot at the likely spots and having played the game for so much just has more experience.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for this.
I spent a 'lost' year on COD around 2010 - so much time I got in the top 200 on the leaderboards...
I used reasonable open back headphones that were in no way built for gaming. Exact positioning doesn't come from audio. The good players run and gun, rarely 'camp' where you may position a player by audio only. The top players spend so much time playing the maps they learn the probabilities the other players likely positions. It may seem like a player knows your exact position, but he is just running round ready to shoot at the likely spots and having played the game for so much just has more experience.
Some of what you say there is wrong, although it may depend on what the audio capabilities are like in the fps games you play. I find it very useful to identify the position of a player in BF1 using 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound, and most definitely the headphone used effects this capability. Running & Gunning vs Camping has got nothing to do with how you can identify player positioning through audio - unless you count camping with your back to a wall in corner so that you know for sure sound is coming from infront rather than behind - but if you use a good Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound combined with optimised surround variable settings & headphone that works well for you it's possible to distinguish front & back just through sound in which case that wouldn't apply to make the distinction between running & gunning vs camping when it comes to using sound to identify player location. In fact, running & gunning is when you need the most input from sound to enable you to instantly recognise nearby enemy position, precisely because the enemy player could come from any direction at you when running & gunning - it's more unpredictable - sound is key when running & gunning, less so when camping. The point you make about experience allowing you to predict where players are likely to show up is correct though, and it gives you an advantage in seeing & reacting to the other player first.

In BF1 I even have moments when I've been able to accurately locate an enemy players position at long distance from their gunshots even if they're not visible (obscured by undergrowth for instance) - spinning to the sound and then ADS zooming whilst pressing the spot button - and sometimes the player becomes spotted proving that I'd pinpointed their exact position. Granted there's an element of experience that I'd instinctively use at the same time to "instantly" decide on a likely spot that they'd be as I spin to where I hear the sound.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
560s is a much better choice than DT 900 PRO X imo
I can confirm HD560s is a great gaming headphone, although I've not tried the DT900 Pro X. I flip between using my HD560s and K702 for gaming, it's hard to choose which is best, very close - I am able to measure my K702 on my miniDSP EARS measuring rig though so I can balance the channels of the K702 which is crucial to gaming. The K702 has greater channel variance than the HD560s, so it's not necessary to balance the channels on any of my 3 units of HD560s, but it is necessary to balance the channels on my 3 units of K702. (I've been a bit of a K702 & HD560s nut, hence the multiple purchases, and part of the reason is through "hobby experimentation" and curiosity about these models when measured on my miniDSP EARS rig). HD600 is my worst gaming headphone, it's pretty hopeless in comparison to all my various other headphones for imaging, for some reason it doesn't create even panning effects, it tends to jump from left / centre / right, rather than smoothly moving in a virtual arc.

asrUser

best for FPS is HE-1
2nd best: HD800S

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom