• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which samplerate does the Windows Mixer use?

Lukas

Hi everyone,

I'm developing a multimedia application for Windows. It plays both 44.1khz and 48khz source audio files. It uses the normal Windows audio path through the mixer. No exclusive mode, no WASAPI or ASIO.

Most users will have either 44.1khz or 48khz soundcards. It's important to me that I output the sound at the correct samplerate for their device.

What I don't quite understand is how the Windows Mixer works. Does it operate at the same frequency of the output?
Is it possible in some situations that the Windows Mixer runs at a different samplerate from the output, leading to unavoidable resampling?

If it can change, how can I find out the frequency that Windows Mixer is currently operating in?

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Control panel, hardware and sound, manage sound devices, choose your card, go through all settings, check your best format like 96/24. Otherwise win goes default 44.1/16 or 48/16.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know this have been up before, can't find it.
Question: if you have 44.1 kHz & 48 kHz source what would be best, without having to mess with the settings in windows sound panel?
My DAC can do 24 bit/96 kHz and today I have it set to 24 bit/48 kHz.

The sample rate conversion from 44.1 kHz -> 48 kHz shouldn't give any artifacts. Would it be better to set it to 24bit / 96 KHz instead?
I know that there is no benefit from going to 96K regarding the sound. So my real question is how crappy the re-sampler in windows 10 is.
We all remember the issue with the Chrome browser and casting to the ChromeCast Audio, not pretty.

Yea, I know. Create test files and compare them in Audacity or my DAW (Waveform 11), but I'm tired...

Thanks in advance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I'm developing a multimedia application for Windows. It plays both 44.1khz and 48khz source audio files. It uses the normal Windows audio path through the mixer. No exclusive mode, no WASAPI or ASIO.

Most users will have either 44.1khz or 48khz soundcards. It's important to me that I output the sound at the correct samplerate for their device.

What I don't quite understand is how the Windows Mixer works. Does it operate at the same frequency of the output?
Is it possible in some situations that the Windows Mixer runs at a different samplerate from the output, leading to unavoidable resampling?

If it can change, how can I find out the frequency that Windows Mixer is currently operating in?
Capture_12162020_052309.jpg

Top Bottom