• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which rca cable is worth for topping D30 and A30?

Slk07

I don’t have experience in buying rca cables. It is difficult to choose worth cable. Please, recommend me. o_O

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Don't bother with anything expensive.

OP
S

Slk07

I ever use free cable and borrow friend's cable. They are very difference. My budget is about $30 - $50. In my country, the shipping cost by amazon is expensive. It is easy to order in aliexpress store, free shipping.

Last edited:

DKT88

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you are ordering from Aliexpress, , just check that they are coaxial cables . They are usually well made.

They are typically about US$8~10 each for a 2 meter length cable. So you would at the most need to spend about US$20/- for a pair of 2 meter long cables. Probably less.

Just keep away from the cheapest sub-US$5/ piece ones. Those are typically not shielded nor coaxial.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I use Ghent Audio cables, not that expensive but good plugs and cable. Will last me a life time.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have said...the cables will make absolutely no difference in sound unless you get a set that is defective. That said I agree with DKT88 below that the "World's Best Cables" brand he links to below look very nice and are cheap.

I use this cable because it uses quality components and isn't crazy expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/1-5-Foot-Int...+Gold+RCA&qid=1581182355&s=electronics&sr=1-2 ......

I got these shorter ones (1/2 foot) because my amp and dac were stacked. The same page shows 1 foot lengths.

Hey...when you can get the world's best anything for $20 why not ;) While I am sure the WBC brand is meant to be a bit ironic...if you use high quality cable and good connectors...there really is nothing you get better by spending more.

I have bought a lot of the Ghent cables mention by Koeitje, and they are just as good and also available in short lengths. I just like the fast shipping time and easy return policy of buying the "World's Best" through Amazon in the U.S.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ever use free cable and borrow friend's cable. They are very difference.....

I see you are new here...welcome! If you are not in the U.S. then Ghent through Aliexpress or EBay may be the best bet.

NOTE: I believe that you heard a big difference when you switched to your friends cable......but Science says that what you experienced was "Expectation Bias". If you search Audio Science Review for Expectation Bias...or just look at threads about cables, you will find a lot written here about how that works. All of us have expectation bias...it is not a criticism. That is just how our brains and ears work.

Any decently built cable...even free ones, will sound the same in blind test. But...the Ghent cables look a lot nicer and will probably last a lifetime.

OP
S

Slk07

What is the mean of direction, arrow, on the RCA cable? I see No direction on Ghent A12 RCA cable. why?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the mean of direction, arrow, on the RCA cable? I see No direction on Ghent A12 RCA cable. why?

The arrow has to do with how the cable is internally grounded. If you point the arrow the same direction the sound goes (like pointing to the A30 from your D30) it is possible that you will get less background noise or avoid hum. There is not much science that says it makes a difference. So if you have a cable with an arrow....point it away from your source. If your cable has no arrow, do not worry about it.

DKT88

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need some more cables. Do the Amphenol RCAs go on and off the RCA jacks easy enough?
Yes...not at all loose but easy enough to remove.

Since they use what monster used to call "turbine" connectors, you can rotate them as you pull (clockwise I think) which loosens the clamp a bit as you pull.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As others have said...the cables will make absolutely no difference in sound unless you get a set that is defective. That said I agree with DKT88 below that the "World's Best Cables" brand he links to below look very nice and are cheap.

I got these shorter ones (1/2 foot) because my amp and dac were stacked. The same page shows 1 foot lengths.

Hey...when you can get the world's best anything for $20 why not ;) While I am sure the WBC brand is meant to be a bit ironic...if you use high quality cable and good connectors...there really is nothing you get better by spending more.

I have bought a lot of the Ghent cables mention by Koeitje, and they are just as good and also available in short lengths. I just like the fast shipping time and easy return policy of buying the "World's Best" through Amazon in the U.S.
How flexible are those? My Monoprice cables are way too stiff for my KTB in an acrylic case and Atom stack at any length. Have some old cheapo cables, but they are way too long.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How flexible are those? My Monoprice cables are way too stiff for my KTB in an acrylic case and Atom stack at any length.

They are far more flexible than the super stiff Monoprice that I have owned. They have a very flexible plastic covering...but they are star-quad with a coaxial shield...so not the most flexible I have used.

However, they worked great in my D50 / Atom stack...if I put the D50 on top.

Top Bottom