• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which pre built Purifi Amp sould I buy?

TheWalkman

Yesterday, I took delivery of an Audiophonics HPA-S400ET based on Amir’s review. Great amp. (This is probably an end-game amp for me.)

Between the great ASR review and weak Euro, I couldn’t resist. The backlog was about a month but I was on vacation so this wasn’t a real problem.

Shipping cost to the US was around $55 which is less than my US sales tax. UPS had it to my door in three days from France.

I’m using the Topping D30 as a DAC/ pre-amp and switching between two pair of Elacs.

I’m a very happy camper.

P.S. @amirm - you are a very bad influence.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I took delivery of an Audiophonics HPA-S400ET based on Amir’s review. Great amp. (This is probably an end-game amp for me.)

Between the great ASR review and weak Euro, I couldn’t resist. The backlog was about a month but I was on vacation so this wasn’t a real problem.

Shipping cost to the US was around $55 which is less than my US sales tax. UPS had it to my door in three days from France.

I’m using the Topping D30 as a DAC/ pre-amp and switching between two pair of Elacs.

I’m a very happy camper.

Hi, any updates? Are you happy with your new amp? Just out of curiosity, what speakers will this amp be driving? Thanks in advance.

TheWalkman

Hi, any updates? Are you happy with your new amp? Just out of curiosity, what speakers will this amp be driving? Thanks in advance.
Aerial:

I’m currently switching between a pair of Elac UF5s, and a pair of ELAC DBR72s. I couldn’t be happier.

Prior to this amp, I was driving these speakers, switching between an Aiyima A04, A07 and a Topping PA5. That said, I was leaning towards the DBR62s. With the added umph of the Audiophonics amp, it seems like the Purifi has the added punch to really make the UF5s sing.

I cut my teeth, years ago, on a Harman Kardon based system with a Citation 11&12 powering a pair of JBL L65’s. I have been conditioned to like my music loud and the new system really delivers nicely.

To be honest, the real difference between then and now is that unlike my HK system which was being driven from a nice turntable (Audio Retroflex, HK tuner and various cassette decks) I’m sourcing my new system from a Topping D 30 attached to a RasPi Zero 2W running Volumio and Sangean HD tuner so the music is ultra clean, dynamic and with wide bandwidth.

The resulting sound is just so crisp, clear and loud, mind bogglingly so. Too, you can really tell how far audio engineering has come over the past 50 years and old hits from the 70’s don‘t have the dynamics and bandwidth of materials from the 2000’s.

The amp runs dead cool. No startup sound

My only nitpic is the power switch on the front is bright white, too much so in my bedroom. (Built in nightlight?)

I’m in the States and ordering from France couldn’t have gone any more smoothly. Once in stock, delivery took less than a week. With the strong exchange rate, the price was right.

Ultimately, I plan to use this as my main amp on a Denon 9.2 home theatre installation.

I liked the case with heat sinks. Amir’s stellar review compared to other Purifi amps pushed me over the edge. To be honest, I had fantasized about one day taking the plunge for a Benchmark but that’s no longer on my mind. The AP amp has more power, has far fewer components to die in the long run and is as transparent as the Benchmark to my old ears. This is my endgame amp.

This new system really shows the good, the bad and the very ugly in source material.

If you’re considering an AP Purifi purchase, you have my highest recommendation.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I’m a very happy camper.

Is it the D30 Pro DAC as a DAC+preamp?

Gregss

Aerial:

I’m currently switching between a pair of Elac UF5s, and a pair of ELAC DBR72s. I couldn’t be happier.

Prior to this amp, I was driving these speakers, switching between an Aiyima A04, A07 and a Topping PA5. That said, I was leaning towards the DBR62s. With the added umph of the Audiophonics amp, it seems like the Purifi has the added punch to really make the UF5s sing.

I cut my teeth, years ago, on a Harman Kardon based system with a Citation 11&12 powering a pair of JBL L65’s. I have been conditioned to like my music loud and the new system really delivers nicely.

To be honest, the real difference between then and now is that unlike my HK system which was being driven from a nice turntable (Audio Retroflex, HK tuner and various cassette decks) I’m sourcing my new system from a Topping D 30 attached to a RasPi Zero 2W running Volumio and Sangean HD tuner so the music is ultra clean, dynamic and with wide bandwidth.

The resulting sound is just so crisp, clear and loud, mind bogglingly so. Too, you can really tell how far audio engineering has come over the past 50 years and old hits from the 70’s don‘t have the dynamics and bandwidth of materials from the 2000’s.

The amp runs dead cool. No startup sound

My only nitpic is the power switch on the front is bright white, too much so in my bedroom. (Built in nightlight?)

I’m in the States and ordering from France couldn’t have gone any more smoothly. Once in stock, delivery took less than a week. With the strong exchange rate, the price was right.

Ultimately, I plan to use this as my main amp on a Denon 9.2 home theatre installation.

I liked the case with heat sinks. Amir’s stellar review compared to other Purifi amps pushed me over the edge. To be honest, I had fantasized about one day taking the plunge for a Benchmark but that’s no longer on my mind. The AP amp has more power, has far fewer components to die in the long run and is as transparent as the Benchmark to my old ears. This is my endgame amp.

This new system really shows the good, the bad and the very ugly in source material.

If you’re considering an AP Purifi purchase, you have my highest recommendation.
Hello,

Have to agree some of the new electronics we have acquired has LED's that are too bright at times.

Found a self stick film for covering these LEDs and displays such that much of the light is attenuated, but can still till if switch or whatever is active. Don't have the link handy, but found it on Amazon.com. Was a few bucks, with enough film that I shouldn't have to buy more for some years. Seems like a good solution if really too bright for you.

Regards,
Greg

TheWalkman

Hello,

Have to agree some of the new electronics we have acquired has LED's that are too bright at times.

Found a self stick film for covering these LEDs and displays such that much of the light is attenuated, but can still till if switch or whatever is active. Don't have the link handy, but found it on Amazon.com. Was a few bucks, with enough film that I shouldn't have to buy more for some years. Seems like a good solution if really too bright for you.

Regards,
Greg
Thanks Greg. Unfortunately, the power indicator is the white ring surrounding the push button, power switch, making it tough to press if you cover it with film.

4BBBB1DA-A0D7-47D2-96EB-E10545310380.jpeg

I may have read somewhere that there are DC leads to the LED on the switch that can be removed but I haven‘t pulled the cover off to check.

It’s easy to understand how AP thought this switch would be a cool feature to differentiate the amp when sitting on a shelf in a den or great room and probably didn’t think that some situations (use in a bedroom) are better off left dark.

Over the years, I’ve seen so many products where the engineers spec these super bright, power LEDs in all sizes and colors. (Let’s not even talk about McIntosh!)

Other than that little nick, this amp is perfection to me.

OzarkCDN

I'm thinking about either the AP or Buckeye Amp to pair with a pair (oops) of revel f208's I'm about to order... do you feel like the ap amp is a good match for these Revels? Not sure if there's a strong advantage to monoblocking for the lower power requirements in class D / purifi modules?

amper42

Major Contributor
I'm thinking about either the AP or Buckeye Amp to pair with a pair (oops) of revel f208's I'm about to order... do you feel like the ap amp is a good match for these Revels? Not sure if there's a strong advantage to monoblocking for the lower power requirements in class D / purifi modules?

The Buckeye amps would be my choice. You can spend $1189 on the Buckeye Purifi, but I doubt you'll notice a difference using the NC502MP. I would be amazed if you can correctly identify which amp (Purifi vs NC502MP) is playing in an AB listening test. At $749, the Buckeye NC502MP saves you over $400 which you could put toward the Revel F208. You can always spend more, but you really don't need to. If I lived outside the USA, I might look at AP. But it's quite a bit more. It's your money. You have to decide if it's worth paying more for something that sounds the same? Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm powering a pair of F208's w/ the VTV Purifi and it can drive them to very high levels w/ no discernible level of distortion.

TheWalkman

Ozark,

FWIW, three months later, I’m absolutely loving the Audiophonics amp.

This is the next gen amp in succession to the classic Harmon-Karadon, Hafler, Crown or McIntosh collectibles. Fifty years from now, I hope my grandkids will be talking about this long after I’m gone (and giving me credit for being a genius.)

Simply a fantastic piece of gear.

OzarkCDN

Ozark,

FWIW, three months later, I’m absolutely loving the Audiophonics amp.

This is the next gen amp in succession to the classic Harmon-Karadon, Hafler, Crown or McIntosh collectibles. Fifty years from now, I hope my grandkids will be talking about this long after I’m gone (and giving me credit for being a genius.)

Simply a fantastic piece of gear.
That's a great sentiment! Truthfully, I'm a bit nervous about the class D offerings as I had a SMSL class D integrated that only lasted about 18 months. The Naim chrome/olive setup I had in my main system was on, without fault, excepting for when I recapped the amp / vacations / power outages, for almost 25 years, continuously. Not saying the old Naim gear is better performing, but hard to argue it wasn't built like a tank.

The audiophonics amp review looks fantastic - but @boXem | audio 's Arthur amp is more aesthetically pleasing to my eye (especially in orange..) - and also interested if there's value in the Eigentakt psu, or in maybe waiting to see how the 1et7040 amps test out.

Certainly love the quality engineering displayed here at ASR..

Like the quality engineering from Iittala:

20220923_212112.jpg

Last edited:

Espiritiv

I decided to buy a ready built Purifi 1ET400A based amp, to pair with my Rotel RC995 pre-amp and my Acoustic Research AR11 speakers.
Used to have a Bryston 4B, but it broke and sold it to someone who wanted to fix it and use it himself.

I listened to the Hypex NC400 DIY mono blocks a friend of mine owns and I was very impressed. The Purifi seems to me is another step forward in class D (although I did not have the opportunity to listen to it yet).

Any ideas which one I should buy (and why)?
Options I found:
- Nord Three 1ET400A ST (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Nord Three 1ET400A MKII Dual Mono (2x SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Apollon 1ET400A mini (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Apollon 1ET400A (2x SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Sparkos Edition (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- 2x Audiophonics MPA-S400ET mono block (SMPS600A400 PSU)

I guess if I would decide to go for a Hypex module, the same brands come by.
So what I'm really looking for is the difference between the brands in built quality, the use of one or two PSU's, buffers, opamps, etc.

Any insights would be appreciated!
GeeDeWee
How about Buckeye 3Ch 1ET400A?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about Buckeye 3Ch 1ET400A?

How about the new Hypex nilai500 diy amp kit? Spectacular performance a step up from the nc400 and maybe the Purifi as well. Check out Hypex's web site.

Espiritiv

How about the new Hypex nilai500 diy amp kit? Spectacular performance a step up from the nc400 and maybe the Purifi as well. Check out Hypex's web site.
May be good but not "pre-built" as he wants.

Chris1965

I sold all my Purifi amps but I can confirm you that the OPA2210 is an awesome OP amps. I am also using it with my dual Tripath amplifier, same opinion ! Probably my favorite OP amps
Do you have a source for your opa2210 ? What dip 8 adapter?
There seem to be different versions of the 2210. Which one did you use & where did you buy it?
Best, Chris

daniboun

Major Contributor

TheWalkman

That's a great sentiment! Truthfully, I'm a bit nervous about the class D offerings as I had a SMSL class D integrated that only lasted about 18 months. The Naim chrome/olive setup I had in my main system was on, without fault, excepting for when I recapped the amp / vacations / power outages, for almost 25 years, continuously. Not saying the old Naim gear is better performing, but hard to argue it wasn't built like a tank.

The audiophonics amp review looks fantastic - but @boXem | audio 's Arthur amp is more aesthetically pleasing to my eye (especially in orange..) - and also interested if there's value in the Eigentakt psu, or in maybe waiting to see how the 1et7040 amps test out.

Certainly love the quality engineering displayed here at ASR..

Like the quality engineering from Iittala:

View attachment 232931

Ozark,

To make things even better, I bought a Topping E70 pre-amp for the front end Of my Audiophonics amp. With the 12V trigger, the amp powers down when there’s no input (and it gets bonus, aesthetics points for having matching, white sound level LEDs to match the white power button on the amp.)

More icing on what is, to me, the perfect cake!

Willem

Major Contributor
For those who want or need an auto on/off switch but don't have the right amp: use a master/slave power strip. That is what I use for now with my Quad 606-2 that has the power switch out of reach at the back. It works fine almost always, but just occasionally it fails to switch off.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can also buy power strips with 12v control inputs.

Top Bottom