• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which power supply should I pair with AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amp?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9685

According to Amir, dynamic range of TPA3255 amp is limited to 14.5 bits by a bad power supply sold with AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amp.

Dynamic range can be expanded beyond 16 bits by pairing it with a better power supply.

Does anyone know a good affordable power supply for AIYIMA A07 amp?

conuss

According to Amir, dynamic range of TPA3255 amp is limited to 14.5 bits by a bad power supply sold with AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amp.

Dynamic range can be expanded beyond 16 bits by pairing it with a better power supply.

Interestingly, the representative of the manufacturer AIYIMA present at the forum knows that the power supply unit recommended and supplied by him in the kit limits the dynamic range? )) ..

Tangband

Major Contributor

I recommend an external meanwell power supply 36-40V 8 A .

The new Aiyima a08 has an inbuilt power supply 36V 9A thats been measured in sweden at faktiskt.io.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
MEAN WELL LRS-350-48 350.4W 48V 7.3
$36.50 on Amazon with Prime Delivery

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Powersupply really makes little difference as it’s only mains hum and it’s already beyond audibility.

Get something that is safe, and can provide the power you need.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MEAN WELL LRS-350-48 350.4W 48V 7.3
$36.50 on Amazon with Prime Delivery
Isn't it too much for the connector of the Aiyima?

I have a Glob Tek 5A/36V with my Aiyima A07.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

14.5 bits is already 87dB. Do you plan to listen with peaks at 87dB beyond your noise floor, that is... something like 107dB?

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

14.5 bits is already 87dB. Do you plan to listen with peaks at 87dB beyond your noise floor, that is... something like 107dB?

If SNR decreases, noise floor can mask quiet sounds. Thus, I could miss quiet sounds if SNR decreases.
Mains hum can mask quiet sounds.

Signal doesn't magically stand above the noise floor. The higher the noise floor, the more of quiet sounds are gone.
The noise floor eliminates the quietest sounds of signal.

SNR is not about hearing loudest sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If SNR decreases, noise floor can mask quiet sounds. Thus, I could miss quiet sounds if SNR decreases.

Signal doesn't magically stand above the noise floor. The higher the noise floor, the more of quiet sounds are gone.
The noise floor eliminates the quietest sounds of signal.

SNR is not about hearing loudest sounds.
Unless you listen to fields recording, I don't believe you need more than 87dB of dynamic range with any music.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

Unless you listen to fields recording, I don't believe you need more than 87dB of dynamic range with any music.

It is 87db at 5W. I listen well below 5W. I usually don't go above 1 watt. At lower power levels, SNR would be smaller because noise stays the same.

I expect mains hum noise to mask quiet sounds at lower power levels. I don't want to lose details.

Because mean-well power supplies aren't prohibitively expensive, I wouldn't think too much about saving money. I'm not that poor.
Mean Well offers power supplies at various voltage levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to minimize the noise floor, you need to check this kind of graph:

1629201660816.png

You can see that even at low wattage, with the 32V/5A PSU, you will still have noise at -68 dB at best. It is far from the - 87 dB found at 5W.

I can hear white noise coming from my speakers with the Aiyima A07 with Globtek 36V/5A, whereas it is a lot less noticeable with my (worse measuring) SMSL AD18. That's the reason I use the latter to watch movies in my small bedroom.

1629201874533.png

0.02 = -74 dB

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If you're going to be this obsessed about something that is not even a concern then get a Hypex amplifier with 120 dB S/N.

There is not much to discuss here, a power supply will not make much of a difference, measurable or otherwise.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

I can hear white noise coming from my speakers with the Aiyima A07 with Globtek 36V/5A

If you are using a cleaner power supply, that's probably noise coming from DAC or any other source that feeds the amp?
If you are using mainboard DAC, noise floor can be high.
Or, the power supply isn't actually clean.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are using mainboard DAC, noise floor can be high.
My test was Topping D10 (USB fed by a laptop on battery) + RCA cables + Aiyima A07 vs. SMSL AD18 (USB, PSU fed).
Noise could have been added by the RCA cables between the D10 and the A07, but the graphs I showed you are sufficient to convince me.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

By the way, I have a generic TPA3255 amplifier from AIYIMA which was released before AIYIMA A07 was released.
I paired it with a generic chinese 32V 5A power supply I ordered from aliexpress.com
I don't hear white noise at my listening position which is roughly 40 centimeters from the speakers.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the graph showed completely the opposite, with one power supply performing better than the other.
Man, are you trolling? I said that the AD18 was "worse measuring" generally. But it has less noise at low wattage (see 100mW). Go check.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, I have a generic TPA3255 amplifier from AIYIMA which was released before AIYIMA A07 was released.
I paired it with a generic chinese 32V 5A power supply I ordered from aliexpress.com
I don't hear white noise at my listening position which is roughly 40 centimeters from the speakers.

Try it at night, when it's really quiet outside, with the PC's fans turned off. you'll hear it.

Top Bottom