• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Power Amp (in combination with minidsp & Node 2) and functional questions

LongJohnSilver

Hi everybody,

after some years without a real hifi setup (children, missing time...) I want to get a mid level setup.
  • Since the existing room might need some digital correction I would like to use a minidsp with Dirac (propably DDRC-24).
  • The Bluesound Node should be the source unit (Streaming, TV via HDMI...).
  • Speakers will be probably the Elac solano bs 283 bookshelf speakers
Now some questions are coming up.

1) Pre Amp
- Do I need a Pre Amp when having the minidsp between the source and the power amp?

2) Volume Control
- The Node should be the only device which needs to be controlled via APP or remote. This includes of course the volume control as well and I don't want to use two APPs or remotes (one for source and one for volume control). I've seen that the minidsp DDRC-24 offers analoge and digital input.
- Is it possible to adjust the volume via the node instead of the minidsp?
- Which kind of input (analog/digital) would I need to use so that the node is used as volume control? If both options might be possible should I go with a digital connection so that the minidsp's DAC would be used (or is the DAC of the node better)?

3) Power Amp
- The spec of the Elacs says 4ohms / 85 dB sens. / recommended power 4...200W
- I have been thinking of two options regarding the power amp which differ in terms of prices: Behringer A800 and Audiophonics MPA-S250NC.
- Which one to go with? I've read the review about the Behringer and it sounds quite good. Since both won't be visible, the look doesn't matter

A lot of questions and many thanks in advance!

OP
L

LongJohnSilver

Hi everybody,

after some years without a real hifi setup (children, missing time...) I want to get a mid level setup.
  • Since the existing room might need some digital correction I would like to use a minidsp with Dirac (propably DDRC-24).

1) Pre Amp
- Do I need a Pre Amp when having the minidsp between the source and the power amp?

2) Volume Control
- The Node should be the only device which needs to be controlled via APP or remote. This includes of course the volume control as well and I don't want to use two APPs or remotes (one for source and one for volume control). I've seen that the minidsp DDRC-24 offers analoge and digital input.
- Which kind of input (analog/digital) would I need to use so that the node is used as volume control? If both options might be possible should I go with a digital connection so that the minidsp's DAC would be used (or is the DAC of the node better)?

3) Power Amp
- I have been thinking of two options regarding the power amp which differ in terms of prices: Behringer A800 and Audiophonics MPA-S250NC.
- Which one to go with? I've read the review about the Behringer and it sounds quite good. Since both won't be visible, the look doesn't matter

Damn...wrong sub board...would somebody be so kind to move this thread to the Audio Beginner or general discussion board ?

yllanos

Hi everybody,

1) Pre Amp

2) Volume Control

3) Power Amp

Hi. I have a Hypex-based Audiophonics amp and I highly recommend it. Very clean, very precise

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious what OP did in the intervening 5 months or so....

Top Bottom