• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which portable audio player supports the most digital formats?

Dunkin Soul

Hi all,
I've got a couple thousand audio tracks that I'd like to leave in their native formats, which are diverse:
AIFF
Apple Mpeg-4 Audio
.amr
.opus
mp3
WAV

But I'd like to listen to them on a portable device.

Does anyone know a portable device (on a budget) that covers all of these audio formats?

I'm looking for the VLC-player of portable digital audio players.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out some of the Hiby DAP's. I assume you're looking for a DAP?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Dunkin Soul

Because I'm looking for a small, pocket portable player. VLC's on my computer.

I actually don't have a smartphone so can't download it onto that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a smartphone
Does anyone know a portable device (on a budget) that covers all of these audio formats?
Just get a smartphone. If you have little money to spare, just get a 2nd hand one. It’s by far the most versatile and will play basically anything. You don’t need to put a sim card in if you don’t care about mobile connectivity.

OP
D

Dunkin Soul

Just get a smartphone. If you have little money to spare, just get a 2nd hand one. It’s by far the most versatile and will play basically anything. You don’t need to put a sim card in if you don’t care about mobile connectivity.
Yeah, maybe you're right. Or, what about an iPod touch?

In either case, do you have a recommendation on the cheapest possible kind to try and get?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, maybe you're right. Or, what about an iPod touch?
The latest touch is from 2019, so not exactly new, and even 2nd hand they are not very cheap.
In either case, do you have a recommendation on the cheapest possible kind to try and get?
Not really. Around $50 will not be very easy.

OP
D

Dunkin Soul

The latest touch is from 2019, so not exactly new, and even 2nd hand they are not very cheap.

Not really. Around $50 will not be very easy.
Okay, no problem. Overall, I think your take is right. Thanks all.

If anyone else sees this and happens to know a retro little jack-of-all-formats DAP that's cheap and no frills, do tell; however, I don't think that necessarily exists, and as such I'm going to roll with what you guys advised.

Thanks a ton again.

steabert

I can recommend sth like a Nokia 6.1 or equivalent, not expensive for a smartphone and no bloat, which is great of used as an audio player. But also still good enough to use as an actual smart phone i stead of DAP.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because I'm looking for a small, pocket portable player. VLC's on my computer.

I actually don't have a smartphone so can't download it onto that.
You don’t need to use the phone part of a smartphone. All of them are perfectly capable as a portable media player. Just don’t insert a SIM.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An Android phone from AliBaba may fit the bill.
Just know that they generally won’t come with the normal Play Store and Google stuff. That can be an annoyance, especially if you’re new to the platform.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just know that they generally won’t come with the normal Play Store and Google stuff. That can be an annoyance, especially if you’re new to the platform.
But if you all want to run a single app like VLC, what’s the problem? The OP wants a dedicated media player only.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But if you all want to run a single app like VLC, what’s the problem? The OP wants a dedicated media player only.
I didn’t say it’s a problem, it can just be an annoyance. You can install most apps manually for sure.

Top Bottom