• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which players do we know measure well in the $100 to $200 range?

I am considering a Bluetooth clip-on DAC/AMP to use with IEMs or even a player. I know you can get a phone line the LG V20 but I'm at the moment to heavily invested and tied into iPhone X and Mac OS. I love the idea of a dedicated player if a good one is out there that doesn't cost me an arm n leg. Bluetooth seems to be ES100 and possibly FiiO BTR3. Not sure on dedicated DAP. Any suggestions?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
get a phone line the LG V20 but I'm at
You do not need to get a SIM card and/or a cell subscription to use V20 as a DAP.
It works fine on 2.4 and 5g wifi w/o any SIM. I'm using one now as my primary stand-alone DAP, while a Moto g6 is my phone.

My V20 replaced a D10 otg Fire tablet previous setup. Use mostly for Amazon Music HD

I tried and replaced both an es100 and btr3. Both got returned. Neither came close to driving my HE400i fully with their anemic outputs. The only portable that came close to my Liquid Spark was the NX3s, with almost 1/2w output...Kept that.

OP
socksrolleddown
snip

I tried and replaced both an es100 and btr3. Both got returned. Neither came close to driving my HE400i fully with their anemic outputs. The only portable that came close to my Liquid Spark was the NX3s, with almost 1/2w output...Kept that.

Does the V20 drive the HE400i?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering a Bluetooth clip-on DAC/AMP to use with IEMs or even a player. I know you can get a phone line the LG V20 but I'm at the moment to heavily invested and tied into iPhone X and Mac OS. I love the idea of a dedicated player if a good one is out there that doesn't cost me an arm n leg. Bluetooth seems to be ES100 and possibly FiiO BTR3. Not sure on dedicated DAP. Any suggestions?

iPod Touch 7G which uses Cirrus Logic DAC = flawless UI smoothness that not even my AK SP2000 DAP can touch, ALAC file support and autotagging through iTunes :). From the Apple USB-C DAC measurements here, the 7G should provide excellent measurement for the price

48207597427_b5b358eb34_b.jpg

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
"Does the V20 drive the HE400i"

First, read amir's review of the LG G7. This is the same Quad ess DAC as in the V20. You will see in amir's initial G7 review at the end he commented on output problems. Unknown at the time, the G7/V20 has 3 different 3.5mm output modes, triggered by whatever input device impedance they are feeding. The first, and lowest output, is when an approx 32-50ohm load is detected. Fine for IEMs, not so hot for HE400i. The second next higher 1v output is a 'line out' - set when the +1k or higher input impedance of a typical amp (like the NX3s) is detected. The 3rd and highest 2v output is set when the mis-nomered 'high impedance' is detected - HP of 200 to 600 ohms.

Read the comments on the G7 and other V20 threads and you will see how to set and retain (temporarily until you turn off the V20) in the 2nd and 3rd modes. You need a short 3.5mm male to female extension, and a 200ohm or so 3.5mm 'impedance adapter'.

Bottom line, yes - the V20 will drive the HE400i not badly in 2v 'highnimpedance' mode. But I do not do so. Because it was not designed to do so. While I use SHP9500 directly, I use an NX3s with the HE400i.

Top Bottom