• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Pi Hat DACs measurements do you like to see

alex.r

Amir already started to measure some of Pi Dac (expensive two i must say). But there are many which are cheaper in which i am personally interested - and i'd like to ask the community.
Do you interested in them ? And which one you want to see measured?

So the list:

PCM51xx
Hifiberry - from here, and here is their DAC quick comparison i think maybe interesting:
1. HIFIBERRY DAC+ PRO XLR - review
2. HIFIBERRY DAC+ PRO - their top notch unbalanced. - review
4. HIFIBERRY DIGI+ (STANDARD or PRO) comparison

Iqaudio - from here:
1. Pi-DAC PRO - their top notch unbalanced /balanced - review
2. Pi-Digi+ - analog of hifiberry DIGI to compare with

Allo:
1. BOSS I2S DAC V 1.2 - review

Unknown:
1. PiFi DAC+ V2.0 - review
pi-fi-dac.jpg

Sabre:
1. AOIDE DAC II ESS ES9018K2M I2S DAC - review
2. AUDIOPHONICS I-SABRE V4 DAC ES9023 TCXO
3. DAC Sabre ES9023 I2S - that one is cheap for comparison

Thanks to everyone.

Last edited:

sonci

Whats the difference between a Pi Dac and a conventionally one? Pi has usb out so any dac can be used or no?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whats the difference between a Pi Dac and a conventionally one? Pi has usb out so any dac can be used or no?

I don't think there should be much of one unless you want to make your Pi into one-box streaming solution. I'd assume those little Linux distros would include the UAC2 drivers.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of these claim to have a good headphone out?

OP
A

alex.r

can add here also low cost of these DACs, with advertised promise to have a better sound (better than raspberry pi have in it)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of these claim to have a good headphone out?

Now that I think about it some more I'm probably going to have to make a DAP out an Rasberry Pi or something similar one of these days since pretty much all the high performance ones are now based on Android and require touch screens, which I can't stand...

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
There is a version PRO of one called 502dac

http://www.pi2design.com/502dac.html

that has a TPA6120A2 headphone out, good one!!

Actually our 502DAC PRO used the LME49600, but we discontinued it due to heat and cost. We are designing a new one based on SRC4192 ASRC, dual PCM1794a and TPA6120A2 HP amp. No digital, analog only.

Also you guys might consider our 502DAC for review. Mostly used by folks for its digital output (including balanced AES), but it has a PCM5122 for monitoring purposes. Not the best analog, but very good digital. I'd be happy to supply a board for testing. :)

Michael
Owner and design engineer for Pi 2 Design

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
There is a version PRO of one called 502dac

http://www.pi2design.com/502dac.html

that has a TPA6120A2 headphone out, good one!!

Actually our 502DAC PRO used the LME49600, but we discontinued it due to heat and cost. We are designing a new one based on SRC4192 ASRC, dual PCM1794a and TPA6120A2 HP amp. No digital, analog only.

Also you guys might consider our 502DAC for review. Mostly used by folks for its digital output (including balanced AES), but it has a PCM5122 for monitoring purposes. Not the best analog, but very good digital. I'd be happy to supply a board for testing. :)

Michael

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Michael
Hello Michael. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your participation. Yes, I like to test anything you have. :) Please start a conversation with me and we can coordinate.

Nango

Major Contributor
Ohhhhhhhh Michael, now you facing the moment of truth :) ........ I wish I had purchased one of yours but I was too late, maybe this time !!!

Nango

Major Contributor
Yes, of course, the one with the digital out...... I mean if I remenber well the Digione Sign. is 2,5x pricier ..... but also better than yours ???.... and in terms of what?????

Top Bottom