• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Pi Hat DACs measurements do you like to see

Bason

to alex.r
You correctly say and wish that there is no longer the same 502 PRO.
Speaking of 502 I wrote about a simple model 502 without PRO.
If 502 is fed to a linear PSU, and also to supply Rapsberry 3b with the same PSU, or even better, three with voltages of 1.8 / 3.3 / 5 Volts, and to pick up a digital SPDIF- BNC signal or a balanced SPDIF- AES/EBU, then you can get very high quality Sound. It's magical and it's amazing. I pay attention to the 502 board version number 6, so does not play, the magic disappeared, the sound became just pure and transparent.
So buy only version 4.

to Michael
Michael do not change anything in this version 4 plate!
I replaced BNC Spdif and Sound became sharply worse, I was surprised.
about LME46900, it's true that 1 leg is connected to Vee-, it needs to be lifted and simply connected with the leg 3 through an audiophile resistor of 180-220 Ohm, and the temperature of LME46900 will decrease, it will be a little warm.
This information can help those who bought 502 PRO.
Can it make sense to post it on the site?

P.S. in Photo two best for Sound new Linear PS 5 Volts, 3 Amper.

Best regards,
Bason

IMG_20180803_164650.jpg

IMG_20180803_164944.jpg

DrTebi

Another beast from Europe, incl. Lundahl output stages, 2x WM8741, around $800 (w/out Rpi): http://taudac.com
I have come across this DAC quite a few times as well, but there has always just been the "Stay tuned…" message on the bottom of the page. I wonder if it will ever go into production.

Nango

Major Contributor
I have come across this DAC quite a few times as well, but there has always just been the "Stay tuned…" message on the bottom of the page. I wonder if it will ever go into production.
It's only on demand, costs around €800 and you need further €250 for a sbooster or similar.

DrTebi

It's only on demand, costs around €800 and you need further €250 for a sbooster or similar.
Hmmm... for that money, I'd rather have a Tascam DA-3000, it serves for more than just a DAC ;)
By the way, wasn't that one supposed to be measured here at some point?

tlr

@amirm Are you able to measure digital-only outputs like HiFiBerry Digi+, JustBoom Digi HAT, etc? I guess jitter is the only thing to measure?

redjr

Here are two DACs that I would be very interested in being measured:

Dial DAC: https://dial-audio.jimdo.com/
TerraBerry DAC2+: https://www.terratechnos.com/products/terraberrydac/index-e.html

I may end up building a raspberry streamer with the Dial DAC next year some time... if I do, I will consider shipping it to Amir for testing.

I have the original TerraBerry and IMO it's the best sounding DAC I own, right next to the Topping D50. I power it with an analog PSU. Also use the AK4137 SRC chip engaged - makes a big difference.

DrTebi

I have the original TerraBerry and IMO it's the best sounding DAC I own, right next to the Topping D50. I power it with an analog PSU. Also use the AK4137 SRC chip engaged - makes a big difference.
Thanks for reporting that. TerraBerry... made in Japan... doesn't surprise me too much that it is top notch :)

adc

I had no idea this whole class of products existed.

Having just discovered this thread, I'm feeling a little sheepish at how clever I thought I was, glue-tacking a Pi on top of a Modi 3. :rolleyes:

soundmike

I would greatly appreciate the measurment of another PCM51xx DAC, the AroioDAC from Abacus Electronics in Germany (https://www.abacus-electronics.de/aroiodac.html)

What makes it worth to be measured (for my humble opinoin):
  • Compatible with Raspberry Pi (A+/B+/2/3/3B+/4)
  • Two isolated, individual high precision master clocks 44,1- an 48kHz sample rates
  • Three isolated voltage regultors for analog, digital and clocks
  • 4-fach-Multilayer PCB for optimal power supply
  • L-/R-Cinch ports, IR receiver
  • Splittable power supply for AVDD (low pass filter for the power supply to the analog portion of the mixed signal device) and Clocks as well as DVDD (low pass filter for the power supply to the digital portion of the mixed signal device)
  • Separate 8-Pin-GPIO-Header for audio connections
  • ID-EEPROM for HAT-ID
  • Full software support by many systems
  • Abacus has an own operating system for the combination of a Rasberry PI and the AroioDAC with the oportunity to use a room correction
  • SMD and assembly in Germany
  • An attractive price tag of about 70€ plus shipping
Thanks a lot in advance for measuring this interesting device.

Soundmike from Germany

Nango

Major Contributor
This board is based on a common and regular card from IQ Audio, not really worth testing as a few of them have been already tested in ASR. Hope you received at least one for free for this publicity.

McGillroy

This board is based on a common and regular card from IQ Audio, not really worth testing as a few of them have been already tested in ASR. Hope you received at least one for free for this publicity.

Could you perhaps further elaborate on the similarity and differences between the Aroio and IQ Audio boards?

I recently acquired an Aroio DAC-HAT after shooting it out against HifiberryHD and Allo Boss. It sounds pretty good in my system and be interested in seeing measurements of this device.

Nango

Major Contributor
Don't know the Aroio you mentioned, don't remember well the Allo hat, using now only my LG G7 for music enjoyment. Sorry.

McGillroy

Well in the post I quoted you mention that the Abacus Aroio DAC-HAT is based in the IQ Audio boards. And you tell Soundmike who had asked for measurements for that board that he perhaps is astroturfing.

So a year ago you had a pretty strong option on the Abacus Aroio.

Couldn't find any info supporting your claim about the Aroio being a derivative if the IQ Audio board. Could you perhaps point to the source of thus claim?

Besides that: please @amirm if you get a chance put this board through the paces. It has quite a good reputation as a no-nonsense entry level DAC-HAT in Germany and sounds pretty nice to my ears too.

McGillroy

Hmmm - I am not sure if you are mistaken: you linked the description of the Aroio OS which also supports IQ Audio cards alongside their Aroio DAC-Hat. As far as I can derive from their documentation the latter is an in-house design. It seems they used IQ cards till 2016 and switched to their own design late 2017 beginning with Aroio version 3.55.

They still sell an IQ Audio Hat on their website, but that's clearly a different design.

I'll write Abacus and ask.

Top Bottom