• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Pi Hat DACs measurements do you like to see

OP
A

alex.r

I saw this one, but that is niche product, not much people will afford it, that's why it is not in the list

Nango

Major Contributor
$800???

What kind of parts containing snake oil were used to justify that price? And doesn't that price defeat the sole idea of RPI which is to be cheap yet effective?

If parts involved were half the final amount (like this) and considering it sounds well (which I don't know), I might be willing to pay 2x or 3x this amount and it is still not really expensive. I don't see RPi stuff necessarily to be cheap like $100 all-in.

Krunok

Major Contributor
If parts involved were half the final amount (like this) and considering it sounds well (which I don't know), I might be willing to pay 2x or 3x this amount and it is still not really expensive. I don't see RPi stuff necessarily to be cheap like $100 all-in.

So basically you're willing to bet 2x or 3x this ammount on the unproven specs? Maybe you should ask yourself if your logic is the reason why snake oil equpiment exists.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
A

alex.r

Audiophonics has a lot of interesting products and i thought about this one, so now i see that someone interested in it too, thanks

OP
A

alex.r

here is information about it: Announcing
and as far as read and understand it will be more for makers/creators rather than inexperienced users (i am one of these).

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Interesting streamer that will be using RPi Compute Module 3 is being developed by John Westlake:
- http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/mdac2_streamer.htm
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/186775815400428/ (facebook group in which project is discussed)
There will be no mass production, just couple of units for early project sponsors.
Meiro,

JW has been developing this MDAC project for 5 years and taken significant amounts of money from people without delivering anything yet. IMO it would be foolhardy to have anything to do with any project he claims to be developing. This is just the latest iteration and variation.

Last edited:

miero

BE718, I'm aware that and I'm not one who contributed. AFAIK it is already to late to enter this project, so I posted it here just as an interesting project with RPi CM.

On the other hand they developed two devices for Pro-ject (pre box s2 digital and stream box s2 ultra) and they are reusing knowledge to their projects. So this MDAC is "just delayed" by repeating changes of project objectives.

BTW: I see similarities with a video game Duke Nukem Forever that was released in 2011 after fifteen years of development.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
BE718, I'm aware that and I'm not one who contributed. AFAIK it is already to late to enter this project, so I posted it here just as an interesting project with RPi CM.

On the other hand they developed two devices for Pro-ject (pre box s2 digital and stream box s2 ultra) and they are reusing knowledge to their projects. So this MDAC is "just delayed" by repeating changes of project objectives.

BTW: I see similarities with a video game Duke Nukem Forever that was released in 2011 after fifteen years of development.
I'm not sure vapour ware from an untrustworthy source is particularly interesting.

Yes it is interesting that they managed to develop the Pro-jet products very quickly whilst ignoring their other commitments.

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
I would like to see any of the Hifiberry stuff and the Allo Boss tested please.

Bason

Actually our 502DAC PRO used the LME49600, but we discontinued it due to heat and cost. We are designing a new one based on SRC4192 ASRC, dual PCM1794a and TPA6120A2 HP amp. No digital, analog only.
Hi Michael!
In fact, the DAC502 PRO is an excellent DAC! It is heated because of a small inaccuracy. This is easy to fix. And the stud will be slightly warm. In this case, the quality of the Sound remains unchanged.
Michael do the following
At LМE49600 soldering iron unhook the leg number 1 from the common ground, just pick it up.
Next, connect the leg number 1 to the ground through a 180 ohm resistor
It is necessary to apply, as best as possible a resistor for Sound
then the temperature of LME49600 decreases sharply.

Guys if you need a playing DAC best of all for Sound I advise not to waste time and money and look at the 502 model.

Best regards,
Bason

OP
A

alex.r

Hi Bason

Thank you for your reply, but as Michael mentioned DAC was discontinued and there is no point to test DAC which users won't be able to buy.

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The initial 502DAC-PRO design had a 0 ohm resistor from pin 1 to Vee-, not ground. This is a good suggestion, unfortunately the cost issues and heating from other components also lead to the decision to discontinue. The new 502DAC-PRO does have an LME49600 amp on a seperate add on board, so the heat won't be an issue. Also, I will explore doing what you suggest and see how it comes out.

Maybe Amir will add it to the test list once I finish it!

Top Bottom