• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which one to go for? - Mojo Vs Mimby Vs Modi 3+

Kevin_Lane

I am currently looking for a DAC for stereo system. I will primarily use CCA as source. I will also use it with PC, Android phone with USB. My budget is about $200. I know, I will need to look for Mojo & Mimby in used make.

My shortlist is right now down to 3. Chord Mojo, Schiit Modi MultiBit & Schiit Modi 3+.

Mojo offers additional facility of Headphone Amp but is a bit old model. Multibit has that R2R flavor. Modi 3+ is the newest off the block.

What are your thoughts guys? What are the Pros and Cons of each.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
What are your thoughts guys?
What features are you looking for and wich devices will be connected? What is your price range? Are design, size etc. important?
Why did you choose those three options in the first place?

aedagnino

Well, of those, only the Modi 3+ enpters the 'recommended' list here on audioscienreview, all of them being reviewed btw. Plus it's by far the cheapest. If there are other things you're looking for in a DAC apart from measurements-assured quality, then there are other options you can search for in the reviews database.

OP
Kevin_Lane

Kevin_Lane

What features are you looking for and wich devices will be connected? What is your price range? Are design, size etc. important?
Why did you choose those three options in the first place?

OP updated.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Between the 2 Schiit you need to consider whether you want the distortion "flavour" that the multibit brings vs the "clean" performance of the Modi, and whether you want to pay extra for that distortion. Really, that would need some ears only testing by yourself.

If you want a dac/headamp combo then I would suggest there are more value orientated solutions than the mojo but it is a well performing device. Depends what headphones you have/ want too.

Agree with others- what connections do you need- just RCA out and maybe headphone?

OP
Kevin_Lane

Kevin_Lane

As I said my priority is use with stereo system. Occasional Headphone sue.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said my priority is use with stereo system. Occasional Headphone sue.

So you have no need for balanced outputs then- fair enough. If you did, I was going to suggest the Modius.

3125b

Major Contributor
I'd throw the Loxjie D30 into the ring, it features a good DAC, bluetooth, remote and a decent headphone amp.

OP
Kevin_Lane

Kevin_Lane

I'd throw the Loxjie D30 into the ring, it features a good DAC, bluetooth, remote and a decent headphone amp.

Yeah, D30 & D20 look swell along with this, But I find it very difficult to go for Chinese goods. :confused:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
So you have no need for balanced outputs then- fair enough. If you did, I was going to suggest the Modius.
I have had both Modi 3+ and the Modius. I am using the Modius. They sound similar in use, on paper the Modius measures better - better DAC chip. The Modius also looks better and if you get the Modius you have both balanced and unbalanced outputs for additional flexibility. Modius gets my biased vote.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
At some point, I had a Mojo and a Modi 3 (pre-3+ times). They sounded very similar, so at $500 vs $100 it was a no brainer. Sold my Mojo without regret... Since, I've also got one Modi 3+ and am perfectly happy with it too (now have three total - two 3's and one 3+).

Never had, only researched the MultiBit: the same - price vs [lack of] performance - consideration... So from the list, Modi 3+ is a clear winner to me. Plus, if needed, it can be nicely paired with Magni Heresy/IE headphones amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom